Front end help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Front end help

For the past few weeks I've been hearing an annoying metal clicking sound coming from underneath the front end. It happens around 20-50 MPH and is pretty constant. I've grabbed everything under and tried to shake it but no play in any of the major or minor components. Verified torque on everything and still the sound won't go away. I'm beginning to think it's internal.

I have the rig up on jacks right now and put it in 4H, 4L both with and without the axles locked. Attached are the videos. Please help!

http://youtu.be/7LS8SC4DKtk

http://youtu.be/T-b45x2X_Lo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

I think I have a similar sound, right now, I believe it is my axle U-joints. They won't make the clicking unless loaded in some form so when on stands it wouldn't make this sound.

I also had worn bushings in my control arms that made a clicking/clunking sound when driving, maybe could be this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Rock God

For the noise the middle boot/clamp for the front driveline maybe? Watched the vids and I thought the 4hi looked like it was working like it should. Since no torque is being applied to either wheel the one with the least resistance is getting power. Not sure about 4 low though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

How would I be able to tell if a axle U-Joint is bad?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
For the noise the middle boot/clamp for the front driveline maybe? Watched the vids and I thought the 4hi looked like it was working like it should. Since no torque is being applied to either wheel the one with the least resistance is getting power. Not sure about 4 low though.
I have a tom woods front DS so no boot.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

best way to check axle u-joint would be to drive slowly and take some turns in alternating directions. This should put some load on the u-joints.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Okay so here is where I'm at. I took the axle shafts out and the diff cover to see if there was anything inside and to see if any of the teeth were messed up... nothing, no metal chunks, nothing, but I did notice that the axle shafts and the tubes had a bunch of debris in them. So my question now is, can i undo the 4 bolts holding in the gears, take them out, clean out the axle tubes and place the gears back in or is it not that simple?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

I would not bother unless you want to replace your inner axle seals. Dirt and crap will always get in the tubes. If you do take the carrier out make sure you mark the caps and put them back on the same side and orientation they come out. There also shims on both sides of the carrier, dont mix those up either.

Its not a fashion show
post #9 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
I would not bother unless you want to replace your inner axle seals. Dirt and crap will always get in the tubes. If you do take the carrier out make sure you mark the caps and put them back on the same side and orientation they come out. There also shims on both sides of the carrier, dont mix those up either.
Thanks Fueler! Other than marking/replacing in the correct spot, is there any measuring that has to be done? I see pictures and other write ups with dials and stuff, would any of that apply for what I'm trying to do?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK-WHT-JK View Post
Thanks Fueler! Other than marking/replacing in the correct spot, is there any measuring that has to be done? I see pictures and other write ups with dials and stuff, would any of that apply for what I'm trying to do?
not to just remove and replace the carrier. if its a rubicon make sure to unplug the electrical connector that goes to the actuator before dropping the carrier.

Its not a fashion show
post #11 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

okay! here goes nothin'!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

OK, the wheels spinning at different speeds is quite normal when the lockers aren't activated. The diff is designed to allow this so we can go around corners and stuff.

That binding is interesting but I think it might be the ESP - it will be seeing differing wheel speeds and likely to be applying brakes (brake-lock diffs program to improve traction, this feature exists on Rubicons too).

I would be removing the front driveshaft and going for a drive (and maybe even then reinstall and then remove the rear), IMHO that'll start pointing you more to the direction of the problem than removing the diff carrier will. Don't rely on your hearing to point to the direction of the sound - metal vehicles can channel noise in fantastic ways.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #13 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Everything you wrote makes perfect sense! Unfortunately, I have already removed the front DS, took the axles out, took the carrier out, cleaned the tubes out (found the two axle retainer thingys in the tube, not on the shaft), cleaned the carrier and inside the pumpkin, reinstalled everything and left the driveshaft off. So far the noise is gone, we will see once i put the DS on tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode