Artec Belly Armor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Artec Belly Armor

http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-UN...Kit_p_474.html

http://www.artecindustries.com/JK-HD...ber_p_447.html

I am ready for serious armor. Artec keeps rising to the top in reputation, and one shop I use recommends their system. I searched the forum and got over 300 hits which I haven't the time to read.

So does anyone have this system? Positives or negatives?

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 12:25 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

First post,
I have this belly armor and it's solid and easy to install. I did not opt for their cross member and found the stock cross member works just fine other then the few bolt head exposed and not flush mounted like their hardware. Stock bolts could easily be covered with cone bolt head protectors, but I have not done that yet. I did have to slightly move/clearance some engine hoses where the front oil pan skid bolts up near the engine block skid mounts but not bad enough to worry me about doing that.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ray, in your photo the components just behind the oil pan skid look like they would act like a big scoop, and in heavy mud force a lot of it on top of the skid. On Artec web site I thought the leading edge was bent upward to help this, but in their photo this was probably an illusion. Have you had yours long enough or in mud enough to know if this is an issue?

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Yeah i see what your saying, but i hate mud and avoid as much as possible. Its not much different from the factory skid that goes over that area other that it tucks up closer to the cross member, and the Artec cross member doesn't seem any better in terms of bull dozer effects. I have since done the aFe exhaust relocation so the exhaust cross over pipe now lives behind the factory cross member...did that for drive line drop.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

bump

Anyone besides ray??

post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Wheeler

I just installed the set last week along with the heavy duty crossmember. Love it so far. My low 4 door slides over rocks much better. The skids took a couple hard hits and looks fine other than a few scratches. No mud scooping for me either, I avoid that crap if I can. I also had to gently bend a couple hard lines on the passenger side, not a big deal.

The worst part of the install was trying to get the gas tank skid over the factory one, it has been abused and the sides of the factory skid were pushed out from the rocks pushing the bottom up, if that makes any sense.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Rock God

First production set. Had them on for almost a year now. No issues and have performed flawlessly.

Some had voiced concerns that an aluminum skid system would be to soft and grab the rocks, preventing them from sliding. I have not seen this at all.

I check them about once a month to insure that all the bolts/fasteners are still snug. Not that they are needed, just part of my process.

An extra set of hands is helpful with the install. But a rolling floor jack will also work. Add to that, ratchet straps, to help bring everything together as you tighten everything up

That and Artecs customer support is amazing
post #8 of 15 Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post

Some had voiced concerns that an aluminum skid system would be to soft and grab the rocks, preventing them from sliding. I have not seen this at all.
Thanks. ray, Mark and Descent. Especially glad to hear the no-grab remark. Pretty much the decision is made.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. This is a great Forum

Just to thank you all again. Appreciate comments which gave me the confidence to move forward. At loooonng last the system arrived Thursday and I'll be wheeling with it in a week.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

Northridge 4x4 has a special where you buy the artec skid package and get the HD cross member free. 1499.00
post #11 of 15 Old 08-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

That's fine the post guys, I was thinking about these. I'm going to need armor soon but I want to stay light.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
Northridge 4x4 has a special where you buy the artec skid package and get the HD cross member free. 1499.00
That's a good deal, would have saved me ~200 that it cost me buying mine from Artec. I just got my set and plan to install soon. It will be the first mod for my new-used 2013 JKU. After my recent trip off-road I knew I needed these badly... Being stock, these will take a beating for the next year as I am wearing out my tires and saving for the long list of stuff planned. I'll start a build thread and update on the install and how they perform.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
That's a good deal. I paid about $1550 for the skids and cross member delivered through my local shop. It took close to two months to ship unfortunately.

Last edited by ratchettt; 08-31-2015 at 07:36 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descent View Post
First production set. Had them on for almost a year now. No issues and have performed flawlessly.

Makes sense. The skids are 6061 aluminum. The hardness is almost the same as mild steel, just slightly less. My guess is that skids that drag over rocks and get caught up, are made out of 5xxx series and possibly H32, which is really soft (the logic being how easy it bends). 6061 is not easy to bend (hence the unusual looking radius bends on the Artec skids). It takes some good engineering and trial and error to bend up 6061.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^^^^^^good info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode