Rough Country Control Arms - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rough Country Control Arms

Right now I'm in the research stage of purchasing some new control arms to go with a 2.5 inch spring lift. I know the usual rock krawler and etc. But the rough country arms keep popping up. Are they any good and are they worth the buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

What Gunny said^^^^^

Rock Krawler, Metalcloak, Poly, Currie, TnT Customs, even TeraFlex (in a pinch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Wheeler

I'll be a bit less biased..... I have installed a RC 3.5 lift on my JKU and recently installed a RK 3.5 x-faxtor lift on my JKU. The RC stuff is pretty light duty in comparison to the RK stuff. With that said, I put 50K on my RC lift with little issue. The joints DO have a tendency to wear out fast but it's cheap and easy to repair. If your a light trail type guy they will be fine. If your really gonna wheel it, I'd look at Rock Krawler.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 AM
JKowners Vendor

Well, on a good note; we now have joints that go right into the RC arms if you need them down the road.

Good luck with your build...

RK
post #6 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Well, on a good note; we now have joints that go right into the RC arms if you need them down the road.

RK

RK is hands down the best arms on the market today, I have had RC, Teraflex and now RK so speaking with experience. with 2.5 of lift you don't need aftermarket lowers, purchase a set of front control arm brackets from AEV, RC, Rancho or whomever you prefer, they will adjust pinion angle as well and the jeep with ride and drive better from getting the correct control arm angle back. Save $ till you can get a better quality lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you are looking for a more economical solution take a look at our sport arms.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5528...a25c5bb17980c1
These were designed to work with a 2.5" lift or a 3", they are the same ones that we supply to mopar so they have passed all of their testing and certification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
post #8 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara4me View Post
RK is hands down the best arms on the market today, I have had RC, Teraflex and now RK so speaking with experience. with 2.5 of lift you don't need aftermarket lowers, purchase a set of front control arm brackets from AEV, RC, Rancho or whomever you prefer, they will adjust pinion angle as well and the jeep with ride and drive better from getting the correct control arm angle back. Save $ till you can get a better quality lift.
Thank you sir.

RK
post #9 of 18 Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Granite Guru

The difference is in the joint - go for the most flex, least maint, longest lasting - that in mind Metalcloak is going to be tough to beat. Yes the stock arms will bend, but i wouldn't waste money on arms that have the same clevite joints, on one end or both, just so they don't bend. I've bent my stockers and they are fine to drive on, obviously to a point.

I had TF and now have MC arms, for reference. No experience with RK and I'm sure the arms are beef but for me you pay money for the joints. TF arms are ridiculously thicker/beefier than MC but I'll still take the duroflex joint all day.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. Ill scrape up a couple of more pennies then to pick up some tried and true arms.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post

RK
Which side of the rough country arms can your joints be used the frame side or the axle? I need a joint that replaces their axle side bushing
post #12 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Which side of the rough country arms can your joints be used the frame side or the axle? I need a joint that replaces their axle side bushing

Curious myself

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
The difference is in the joint - go for the most flex, least maint, longest lasting - that in mind Metalcloak is going to be tough to beat. Yes the stock arms will bend, but i wouldn't waste money on arms that have the same clevite joints, on one end or both, just so they don't bend. I've bent my stockers and they are fine to drive on, obviously to a point.

I had TF and now have MC arms, for reference. No experience with RK and I'm sure the arms are beef but for me you pay money for the joints. TF arms are ridiculously thicker/beefier than MC but I'll still take the duroflex joint all day.
I concur on this statement about the Duraflex MC CAs although , they now have a run for the durability and low-maint combo -and purported flex - in Synergy Mfg's DDB arms ....I don't run them but based upon the years of testing backed with Synergy's renowned quality I am considering them vs the MCs but wanna see some real world to validate ...I'll give Synergy my business nearly by default just because everything I've ever bought /installed on my JKUr and XJ and YJ has been built to withstand the apocalypse and functions perfectly ....just didn't want them to not be mentioned ....
it's easy if you simply tell yourself that with suspension components on high stress / demanding Jeep usage , you really do get what ya pay for and if it's too good sounding , it is likely going to be true....
if you are light trail riding the RC stuff will work but if you really are going to put in some heavy usage , you're just gonna wind up replacing the RC cheapo stuff ...

post #14 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I concur on this statement about the Duraflex MC CAs although , they now have a run for the durability and low-maint combo -and purported flex - in Synergy Mfg's DDB arms ....I don't run them but based upon the years of testing backed with Synergy's renowned quality I am considering them vs the MCs but wanna see some real world to validate ...I'll give Synergy my business nearly by default just because everything I've ever bought /installed on my JKUr and XJ and YJ has been built to withstand the apocalypse and functions perfectly ....just didn't want them to not be mentioned ....
it's easy if you simply tell yourself that with suspension components on high stress / demanding Jeep usage , you really do get what ya pay for and if it's too good sounding , it is likely going to be true....
if you are light trail riding the RC stuff will work but if you really are going to put in some heavy usage , you're just gonna wind up replacing the RC cheapo stuff ...
I run synergys joints in my rear arms. They havent been on very long but they have been put to the test in the amount of time I have them. I have not had any problems what so ever. They flex well and still look new. They also soak up road vibrations better than the stock bushings as well. Not having to grease them is also a bonus. I actually replaced my rough country flex joints on my front lcas with these bushings as well. Wasnt a perfect fit had to grind them down a bit but they pressed in and have been working great. I wish they made a bushing that would fit the axle side of the rough country arms. I may just bite the bullet and just get their adjsutable front lcas with ddb bushings on both ends
post #15 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Granite Guru

synergy DDB seem like their take on MC Duroflex bushings. I doubt you could go wrong with MC or Synergy.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
I run synergys joints in my rear arms. They havent been on very long but they have been put to the test in the amount of time I have them. I have not had any problems what so ever. They flex well and still look new. They also soak up road vibrations better than the stock bushings as well. Not having to grease them is also a bonus. I actually replaced my rough country flex joints on my front lcas with these bushings as well. Wasnt a perfect fit had to grind them down a bit but they pressed in and have been working great. I wish they made a bushing that would fit the axle side of the rough country arms. I may just bite the bullet and just get their adjsutable front lcas with ddb bushings on both ends
great feedback & it's 'preciated, CrazyLarry. This makes the Synergy bushing even more compelling and once I get 'there' ( I have shocks and gears first, as I may have mentioned I will likely go that route.
Anyone know- and I sure don't intend on wrecking or misdirecting the OPs thread here...but it is in line with this topic;
anyone know if the Clayton CA joints could be setup with a Metal Cloak bushing ..or Synergys...I think they use Jjs from Currie but it'd be interesting indeed to have Duroflex or DDBs within lower longarms ....or would that work? I am just [email protected] around...I can go search or see what the Clayton site says....I only consider because the lower stock CAs on my '11 are getting pretty rashed and thrashed and I know the bushings or arms are around corner.....I'd run MCs uppers and this combination of Clayton arms for lower but this is all speculatory and idea bashing for now....I hav an CXJ to tint, paint , get other stuff upgraded... having two Jeeps is f*cking expensoive as heck!

<edit; if I won the lottery, I would do what [ I think it was USMCDOC?] I have seen in the way of - um- I thin it is Rock Krawler and thier custom aluminum lower control arms....they are mad light and strong.....hope that is rght, anyway>

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Currie arms on my 2 dr and they are tough as hell. Easy to rebuild with the tool and if zombies take over the world and you run your jeep out of gas you can unbolt the arms and bash in zombie skulls with the things, They are that Heavy...
Johnny Joints are hard to beat...
post #18 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuster View Post
I have the Currie arms on my 2 dr and they are tough as hell. Easy to rebuild with the tool and if zombies take over the world and you run your jeep out of gas you can unbolt the arms and bash in zombie skulls with the things, They are that Heavy...
Johnny Joints are hard to beat...
tht is why i am considering them as lowers; can the JJs be replaced with Duroflex bushings, ya think?
or the Synergy bushings?
I know JJs are awesome but this is a 20% street rig ....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode