5x5 to 8x6.5 conversion problems - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

5x5 to 8x6.5 conversion problems

I can't find any wheel adapter that goes from the 5x5 to 8x6.5 outside of some sketchy ebay 2 piece adapters. Anyone have any experience w/ these, or if they're safe to run. I was also looking for a custom unit bearing for the front 44, but wasn't able to come up with anything.

I'm currently running a PR44 front, and am in the market for a D60 rear. Since the Dana ultimate full float 60's came out, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a rear SF axle, so I need a solution for running w/ the ultimate d60's 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Ideally, I'd just swap the front axle too (err...again), but thats just a lot of cash to drop at once (front axle, rear axle, new wheels).

2012 JKU - 37" MTRs, RIPP Supercharger, ProRock44, 4.88s, ARB lockers F/R, RCVs, Reid knuckles, Poly'd steering, armor/skids, bunch of other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Rock God

Talk to BORA (link below). If you see an adapter in the hardcore offroad world, it is likely made by BORA. Call them and they will make what you need and should be for the same cost as an off the shelf.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/jeep_s
post #3 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

I dont think you can neck down a full float to the 5x5 bolt pattern because of the size of the hub i.e. even with an adapter there isnt enough room to safely bore out the wheel to fit the hub. I could be wrong.

Teraflex is supposed to release an 8 lug conversion for the rubi 44. That may be something you might want to look into

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ALASHA; 06-02-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I dont think you can neck down a full float to the 5x5 bolt pattern because of the size of the hub i.e. even with an adapter there isnt enough room to safely bore out the wheel to fit the hub. I could be wrong.

Teraflex is supposed to release an 8 lug conversion for the rubi 44. That may be something you might want to look into
Hmm... Good point. I was reading it as 5x5 to an 8x6.5. And now that I think about it, what is the logic to running an 8x6.5 wheel on a 5x5 axle?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
Hmm... Good point. I was reading it as 5x5 to an 8x6.5. And now that I think about it, what is the logic to running an 8x6.5 wheel on a 5x5 axle?
Maybe I confused myself as well and he does want 5x5 to 8x6.5 for the front. Just made it sound like he was trying to spend the least amount which would mean keeping the same wheels. Sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I don't mean to neck down the rear FF to 5x5. I will get the Ultimate rear d60 in 8 lug because thats my only option, with the wheels to match. I just need a solution for my pr44 up front to run the 8 lug wheels for a while, because spending another 7k on a front axle as well is a bit much.
Another option is to go with a PR60 FF rear instead of the Ultimate 60 which I can get in 5x5.5 and run adapters to 5x5, but the PR60 FF is a lot more expensive.

Last edited by mistasparkl; 06-02-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Rock God

What about the hybrid 60 hubs that Dynatrac makes? No need to drop $7k and you don't need adapters. Although, it is probably still a $2k expense...
post #8 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Granite Guru

I have a sad. When ol' Sparkls posted this, I was banking on you guys coming through with a cost effective solution for him, or else convincing him to just get a pair of Mopar crates, so I could cop his Pro Rock on the cheap, with a payment plan and only have to regear it. Alas, no luck.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Heh, All signs point to a PR60 rear FF in 5x5.5 being the best solution for me.

2012 JKU - 37" MTRs, RIPP Supercharger, ProRock44, 4.88s, ARB lockers F/R, RCVs, Reid knuckles, Poly'd steering, armor/skids, bunch of other stuff.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistasparkl View Post
I can't find any wheel adapter that goes from the 5x5 to 8x6.5 outside of some sketchy ebay 2 piece adapters. Anyone have any experience w/ these, or if they're safe to run. I was also looking for a custom unit bearing for the front 44, but wasn't able to come up with anything.

I'm currently running a PR44 front, and am in the market for a D60 rear. Since the Dana ultimate full float 60's came out, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a rear SF axle, so I need a solution for running w/ the ultimate d60's 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Ideally, I'd just swap the front axle too (err...again), but thats just a lot of cash to drop at once (front axle, rear axle, new wheels).
Have you tried calling spidertrax? Maybe they can make you an 8 x 6.5 bolt pattern from one of their spacers. A little off topic but have you decided what wheels your getting yet? Gotta say those method beadlockls make me drool
post #11 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

There is some overlap with going from 5x5 to 8x6.5, which is why the ones that are available are two pieces----and I'm looking to get the Hutchinson rock monsters

post #12 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
There is some overlap with going from 5x5 to 8x6.5, which is why the ones that are available are two pieces----and I'm looking to get the Hutchinson rock monsters

So you called Bora and they can't make one?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #13 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Heh, All signs point to a PR60 rear FF in 5x5.5 being the best solution for me.

How much more is that though, at least $2k right?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #14 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Granite Guru

BORA quoted mine at a decent price, so they should be able to do you a set too.

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Wheeler

Thumbs up

Motorsport tech (bora) is the way to go. I bought adapters for my superduty years ago. They are beautifully built. Hi quality materials. Everything is deburred, and fit perfectly. I can't say enough good things about them. No issues, after many miles, and towing a triple axle trailer. The warranty is beyond excellent.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbootysuperduty View Post
Motorsport tech (bora) is the way to go. I bought adapters for my superduty years ago. They are beautifully built. Hi quality materials. Everything is deburred, and fit perfectly. I can't say enough good things about them. No issues, after many miles, and towing a triple axle trailer. The warranty is beyond excellent.
+1 Here! I have the adapters for my H1 wheels and have run my Jeep pretty hard with no issues from the adapters. Probably 25,000 miles on them with an honest 10-15% offroad all over SoCal and the south east. That includes bending 2 stock control arms, the rear drive shaft, both shocks, and breaking the rear track bar mount loose out on the Hammers.

Mike

Last edited by lamar95x4; 06-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode