Does anyone have any idea or info on the "Mopar Heavy Duty Rubicon Axle Housing"? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Does anyone have any idea or info on the "Mopar Heavy Duty Rubicon Axle Housing"?

Just saw this in the new mopar performance catalog:

"Dana 44TM Axle #P659744RR HEAVY-DUTY RUBICON DANA 44TM
FRONT AXLE HOUSING
This heavy-duty axle housing is a direct replacement for your Rubicon front axle This housing features thicker wall tubes for increased load carrying capacity and improved bending strength over stock This is a bare housing, ready to accept the gears, locker and shafts from your housing
#P5160036 $995.00"

Is this their version of a prorock housing? Does it have stronger C's or just thicker tubes?

I'm wondering how it compares with a trussed and gusseted standard Rubi housing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Rock God

I'm going to assume the C's are the same. Adding thicker tubes is easy and doesn't really require any material change in production. Casting up new C's is a whole different story. I may even venture a guess that the thicker tubes may be a glimpse of axle changes for the next gen wrangler.

While the stock tubes are weak, they are already a 1/4" thick wall. When it comes to tubes, there is not a lot of strength gained beyond 1/4" and virtually none beyond 3/8". In addition, the thicker wall reduces denting or cracking, but doesn't do much for bending. A larger diameter tube is the way to gain strength, especially as it relates to bending.

Will the new tubes be better than stock? Absolutely. Stronger than a trussed stock housing? Not much. Where it would be stronger is in terms of breaking the tube. There are many pictures floating around of trussed housings where the tube broke in half. A truss will resist bending forces, but won't do much in terms of impact.
post #3 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

Hopefully they will hold the price line on that. That is more affordable than a Teraflex, Dynatrac, or G2 bare housing. I can handle dealing with welding gussets to the Cs if everything else has been beefed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Rock God

hell that price is more affordable than a stock empty 44 Rubi front housings I have found.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress

Last edited by j-rod17; 06-02-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Hopefully they will hold the price line on that. That is more affordable than a Teraflex, Dynatrac, or G2 bare housing. I can handle dealing with welding gussets to the Cs if everything else has been beefed up.
A good point. And really, for a couple hundred more you could truss it and it would be pure beef.
post #6 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Most aftermarket housings have beefier bracketry also. I wonder if this housing addresses that.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM
JKowners Vendor

This what the Rubicon should come with already
post #8 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Wonder if they angle offset compensate for caster/pinion angle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
This what the Rubicon should come with already
Yeah I think Jeep could sell the Hell out of a Ruby that you could order a V8, D 60's. I think they have enough gas sippers so a V8 in the lineup would be fine. I know I would have done it!!

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Wheeler

I wonder if this is what is used in the J8?
post #11 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Granite Guru

Most of the usual Mopar online parts dealers have it listed for $870 or less. That's a pretty good deal depending on the remaining details look like.
post #12 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Most of the usual Mopar online parts dealers have it listed for $870 or less. That's a pretty good deal depending on the remaining details look like.
Yep... listed here for $865.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p.../P5160036.html
post #13 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Wonder if they angle offset compensate for caster/pinion angle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

X2 what i was thinking. Man ... mopar is coming out with a lot of new stuff.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #14 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Rock God

That is the axle housing they use on the J8. Tubes are 3/8" instead of 1/4". No other changes. Straight from a Mopar engineer.
post #15 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Does anyone have any idea or info on the "Mopar Heavy Duty Rubicon Axle Housi...

Yea it says J8 tubes in the link posted above.

Buy it for under a G, turn the C's. Assemble and done. Nice option Imo

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 49 Old 06-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Yea it says J8 tubes in the link posted above.

Buy it for under a G, turn the C's. Assemble and done. Nice option Imo
Agree. Apparently the J8 hubs will go on and they are much stronger. Didn't mention if that required new axle shafts though.
post #17 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

I wonder if you're stuck w/ Rubi-specific lockers. Since the desc says, "JK Rubicon housing/J8 tubes", I suppose you are. Fail.

Last edited by tslewisz; 06-04-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #18 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I wonder if you're stuck w/ Rubi-specific lockers. Since the desc says, "JK Rubicon housing/J8 tubes", I suppose you are. Fail.
Why do you say this? Whats wrong with a Rubicon replacement ARB?

Also anyone have any thoughts on going this route versus the PR44? I did a price out of a build here and looking like $4100 versus $5200-$5300 for the PR44 built. Save $1,000 this way but is the PR worth $1,000 more?

post #19 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
Quote:

Also anyone have any thoughts on going this route versus the PR44? I did a price out of a build here and looking like $4100 versus $5200-$5300 for the PR44 built. Save $1,000 this way but is the PR worth $1,000 more?
The question is if it is worth spending $4-$5k on a D44 with the same mini ball joints and weak front hubs. Same ball joints and hubs as a D30. I'm not trying to be that JY axle guy, but with the swap kits out now making it so easy, it's sort of a no brainer. For the price of a PR44 you can have a D60 and full float rear. Artec has the electronics solved as well. And the axles can be off a 2010 truck, not some old set of axles.
post #20 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
I'm not trying to be that JY axle guy, but with the swap kits out now making it so easy, it's sort of a no brainer. For the price of a PR44 you can have a D60 and full float rear. Artec has the electronics solved as well. And the axles can be off a 2010 truck, not some old set of axles.
How many hours of labor do you have in your front axle?

There is definately something to be said for saving money by doing all the labor yourself but for some who dont have the skill or time, its so clear cut...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Rock God

As a follow up to my comment above, I'm curious about something. I get that people don't all have the skills or time to build a late model axle. Is there an interest level in buying the axles ready to go? For example, a D60 and Sterling 10.5 off a 2010 Superduty. Cleaned, powder coated, brackets welded on, ABS all set to go, basically drop in like a set of new axles, but at half the price? Let's say the price was $6k and you'd have a full float rear, free spin front, etc. Even the ability to choose options like gear ratio, bracket setup, lockers, axle shafts, etc.
post #22 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Absolutly ^

post #23 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The question is if it is worth spending $4-$5k on a D44 with the same mini ball joints and weak front hubs. Same ball joints and hubs as a D30. I'm not trying to be that JY axle guy, but with the swap kits out now making it so easy, it's sort of a no brainer. For the price of a PR44 you can have a D60 and full float rear. Artec has the electronics solved as well. And the axles can be off a 2010 truck, not some old set of axles.
Quote:
As a follow up to my comment above, I'm curious about something. I get that people don't all have the skills or time to build a late model axle. Is there an interest level in buying the axles ready to go? For example, a D60 and Sterling 10.5 off a 2010 Superduty. Cleaned, powder coated, brackets welded on, ABS all set to go, basically drop in like a set of new axles, but at half the price? Let's say the price was $6k and you'd have a full float rear, free spin front, etc. Even the ability to choose options like gear ratio, bracket setup, lockers, axle shafts, etc.
For me I dont have the fab skills or place to do so so direct swap is best for me. plus it would cost me $1,000 easy or more for JY axles 2010 and newer.

Another issue I have to watch is I still DD my JK so I have to maintain tire coverage so full width could be a problem costing me another $1500 in wheels.

I would love to have an opportunity to slowly build an axle and get the experience which is why this housing is tempting.....however is the ground clearance, caster, and C's better on the PR making it worth the extra $.

post #24 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
Quote:

Nothing, other than I'd prefer a Detroit or a TrueTrac.
post #25 of 49 Old 06-04-2015, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The answer to that is - Yes

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode