Drilling hole in door HELP!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Drilling hole in door HELP!!!!

I have an application that requires a 1/2" hole to be drilled at the bottom of a door panel. My issue is obviously in my 2007 JKU there is no bottom to the door panel as its flush with the door.

My question is has anyone ever drilled a hole or can tell me any issues in drilling this hole at the bottom edge of the actual door (right on the metal)? The hole would be drilled at the under carriage of the door on the very bottom facing the ground on the right side if you were getting out of the vehicle. I am only speaking of the driver side as well as the passenger side.

The application instructions calls for a hole to be drilled in the panel, but the jeep jk panels will not suffice.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Granite Guru

what are you trying to install? is it a secret?
post #3 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OH, duh. No not a secret. I am trying to install door puddle lights.

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-el...5/#post4089424
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

why not mount it under the body near the frame and then wire it into the appropriate wires? Maybe even angle it out a little bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
why not mount it under the body near the frame and then wire it into the appropriate wires? Maybe even angle it out a little bit?
Under the body of the vehicle I assume. Never thought of that, but it could very well work. If I did that I am not sure how it would angle out. It would need to be in some type of waterproof sleeve of some sort. If it is under the car, how do you actually wire it up?

PS. Former USMC.
post #6 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

FWIW the companies that do this from the factory mount them in the bottom of the rearview mirrors on the door. I can't get a good feel for how big they are, but they may be able to sneak into the mirror housing.

also, does the jeep have side steps? could mount in the bottom of those.

now i want these.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #7 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
FWIW the companies that do this from the factory mount them in the bottom of the rearview mirrors on the door. I can't get a good feel for how big they are, but they may be able to sneak into the mirror housing.

also, does the jeep have side steps? could mount in the bottom of those.

now i want these.

I put some of these in my challenger about 4 months ago. In the bottom of the challenger door the light is about 30 inches across. I am pretty sure that if you put them in the bottom of the mirror, 2 things would happen. 1: the logo would be cast down the side of the door and would only be a partial on the ground (I could be wrong on this one though so test it out. 2: it would be so high up that the logo has no definition left to it.

So just to test them out hook them up to the battery with some long extension wire and see how they look at the bottom of the mirror. I had to do a good deal of research to find out how to make them work on my challenger with the JK I have no idea. But you do need the door ajar wire to power the light if you only want them to come on when you open the door. You could (easier) wire them into the courtesy lamp so that when you unlock the doors or open the doors then the light would come on. Post up if you would like to go with the courtesy light option and I can find out some technical data on that wiring.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #8 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM

you could mount them in a pvc sleeve and then just hot glue the open wire end to keep water out of it. Maybe clamp the pvc to a bent piece of steel or aluminum and then mount that to the frame.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

This is where I mounted my rock/puddle lights. Pictures are huge, deal with it!
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
This is where I mounted my rock/puddle lights. Pictures are huge, deal with it!
FINALLY!!!! Someone who has this and has done it. Where have you been all my life? This drink is for you!! LOL!!

Did you go through the floor board? How were they wired? I looked under the jeep and saw "about" where you might have mounted these.

Did your lights look like this?
Name:  IMG_6087.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  111.0 KB

Mine are about 2" long and 1" wide.
post #11 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Nope, mine looked like this and probably cost a fraction of what your lights cost. I actually just ran the wiring up to the front of that body "pocket" popped out of a hole, ran it up the firewall and into the standard wiring chase that we all use for sPods, lights, accessories, etc... My lights are on a toggle, but I could very easily tie them into the dome circuit if desired. Once you get through the firewall, the rest is cake.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh.../UCL11CKB.html

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #12 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I put some of these in my challenger about 4 months ago. In the bottom of the challenger door the light is about 30 inches across. I am pretty sure that if you put them in the bottom of the mirror, 2 things would happen. 1: the logo would be cast down the side of the door and would only be a partial on the ground (I could be wrong on this one though so test it out. 2: it would be so high up that the logo has no definition left to it.

So just to test them out hook them up to the battery with some long extension wire and see how they look at the bottom of the mirror. I had to do a good deal of research to find out how to make them work on my challenger with the JK I have no idea. But you do need the door ajar wire to power the light if you only want them to come on when you open the door. You could (easier) wire them into the courtesy lamp so that when you unlock the doors or open the doors then the light would come on. Post up if you would like to go with the courtesy light option and I can find out some technical data on that wiring.
You're absolutely right! Putting them in the mirror location distorts the image too much. I am cool with running to courtesy lamp but I am not sure I even have that. This is a 2007 and would love the easiest way. Your help is greatly appreciated. I will also wait to see what my new friend below comes back with.

Thanks!
post #13 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Nope, mine looked like this and probably cost a fraction of what your lights cost. I actually just ran the wiring up to the front of that body "pocket" popped out of a hole, ran it up the firewall and into the standard wiring chase that we all use for sPods, lights, accessories, etc... My lights are on a toggle, but I could very easily tie them into the dome circuit if desired. Once you get through the firewall, the rest is cake.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh.../UCL11CKB.html
Yes, you are correct. Your lights cost a tenth of what I paid

However, the lights are not apples to apples. This light I am trying to install projects an image like a projector. Unfortunately they are not in a waterproof housing as they are made to go into the bottom of a door panel.

I hope my Gunny above can help..... Almost back to square 1.
post #14 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 04:14 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Didn't realize you had them there fancy projector lights. Yeah, my location wouldn't be moisture friendly to your lights. You could pot them with epoxy before installing them in my location, unless you routinely ford water crossings for miles, they would probably be okay for a long time, the rail I used is pretty enclosed and out of the way for debris and normal puddles. Worth looking at, perhaps...

Quote:
post #15 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've used these in several applications with no troubles. Waterproof for sure (from experience)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
post #16 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

He's looking to install a projector type light. It actually projects an image onto the ground. I misunderstood that previously. Waterproofing the light and then installing it under the vehicle would be my suggestion over dicking with door mount. Also, unless you figure out a decent molex setup, you won't be pulling the doors off after install if you choose the door.

Quote:
post #17 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Shit, mine is an 07 as well, I will have to post the wiring diagram from work tomorrow since it is on my work computer but you want the YELLOW WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE on the rear passenger door. Open that door and pull the carpet up from the wheel well hump and you will see a wire bundle find the YELLOW WIRE WITH WHITE STRIPE, that is your courtesy lamp wire.

Chris is right unless you put a connector somewhere in the wiring you won't be able to take your doors off without cutting the wire.

Quote:
Quote:
post #18 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Ok not the diagram I was looking for but to give you an idea on what you are going to be doing.

You will only be using the dome light wire, the diode and then the power wires to the puddle lights, then the black wire on the puddle lights will just go to ground. Now if you want to add a switch so that you can turn them on when you are in the jeep that is another diagram, let me know.

Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Ok not the diagram I was looking for but to give you an idea on what you are going to be doing.

You will only be using the dome light wire, the diode and then the power wires to the puddle lights, then the black wire on the puddle lights will just go to ground. Now if you want to add a switch so that you can turn them on when you are in the jeep that is another diagram, let me know.

Thanks Gunny! Also, thank you JKCTAZ! I now get the wiring. I suppose the door idea is out. Not being able to take off the doors is not an option!

So, how do I waterproof this housing for the light for install? if it goes up under the jeep, no matter where I mount it, how can I keep it dry and free from splash when it rains/snows? It is starting to be more trouble than it's worth....
post #20 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM

The only way would be to clear caulk it on every exposed opening.

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Get some good quality 2 part liquid epoxy and patiently apply it to the seams, and that strain relief area to fill in where moisture could get in during splashes. Take a look at the lens area when you get a chance to see if the lens itself could be a point of entry, that could be done the same way with some care and patience.

Quote:
post #22 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Rock God

Conformal coating would be the best option. something like this:

Click here

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM
JKowners Vendor

Conformal coating is for circuit cards and is thin and brittle wouldn't hold up to the outside very well probably. You would need something like rtv I would think
post #24 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Neverwet! LoL

Quote:
post #25 of 51 Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Rock God

Ok I tried to read the whole thing but alaskan white won the battle ( too many w's).

Anyways I hooked up led lights to my jeep for the interior and hooked them up to the dome light so that they turn on when the door opens or you flip the switch.

If you want I can look that shit up for you as to the color of the wire but can tell you it is in the passenger kick.

If you wunna know pm me because no way I will ever find this thread again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode