ARB diff cover/LubeLocker torque specs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
C4T
Wheeler

ARB diff cover/LubeLocker torque specs

I am using ARB d44 diff covers with LubeLocker gaskets. The rear diff has always been fine, but the front diff has had issues with leakage since the install. A local 4x4 shop suggested that the cover might be loose, so I went to re-torque the cap screws and snapped one head off.

About this time I realized that LL calls for 15/35 ft-lbs, while ARB calls for only 25 ft-lbs final. I just happened to have the LL paper in front of me while I was working.

So now I am wondering, should I get upgraded hardware with the same dimensions and stick with 35 ft-lbs? Or re-order from ARB and stick with 25 ft-lbs? If I go the latter route, I will also need to buy a new torque wrench since the range on mine starts at 30 ft-lbs.

Also, any tips for removing the rest of the cap screw from the diff? Luckily it's on the bottom and away from the steering linkage. For now I just left everything as-is, with the broken head missing, and it doesn't seem to be leaking (any more than it was) while immobile.

2012 Rubicon 2dr. Mopar sway bar disconnect skid, Skid Row front LCA skids, ARB diff covers front/rear, Rock Hard engine/t-fer/gas tank skids, Kilby rear LCA skids, AEV rear diff slider. Unlimited 19/60 springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Get new hardware, I don't know where LL gets their hardware from but it sucks. After breaking 2 of their bolts I went and bought new hardware to replace their junk.

The best way is to take the cover back off and use some pliers to get the broken bolt out. That way less chance to crew up the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

x2 on removing the cover and using pliers to get the broken bolt out. Had the exact same issue - ARB cover, tried using Lube Locker specs = two broken bolts. Pliers got them out easily. If you're really unlucky and the bolt is not sticking out enough for pliers to work there are a variety of ways to get a broken bolt out with drill bits designed for that purpose.

After the broken bolts I searched around on this forum and the interwebs and found most people are not tightening to LL specs and are having no problems. So, I did the same - basically tightening to around 15 then to as tight as I can get them hand tightened with a regular sized wrench and have had no problems at all with loose covers or leaks. This worked on my ARB cover and my Riddlers (which is what I have now).

So, I doubt its an issue with the bolts causing your leak unless you had one or two bolts that were very loose. More likely it was an issue with the gasket (maybe a defect), or it was installed off center slightly (but that would be hard to do), or maybe an issue with your cover or your diff. If its an issue with a gouge or something in your cover or diff, RTV may be the only way to seal it with no leaks. Good luck!

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode