Jku 2015 body lift question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-29-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Jku 2015 body lift question

Need some help. I have a 2015 that I have put slightly larger tires on. They were really close to rubbing, so I ordered a 1.25 inch body lift kit. 4 door, automatic. In looking at the instructions, they say there are 12 body mounts. I could only locate 10, 5 per side. I removed the center bolt on one side from all five mounts, tried to jack it up, but the body is still with the frame. I could only find 5 mounts. Sooooo, I looked online, and it described the 6th mount between the gas tank and rear shock. Mine is cut out for that, but there is no bushing, washer, or anything except a blank cutout. I also loosened the other side, no help. I never did get the body to lift so I could replace the bushings. If there are 12 mounts, I could not locate them. Any advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Rock God

From Teraflex.

post #3 of 17 Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Well this video does show only 10 for the 4 door. 5 per side. Those were the exact ones I removed....and loosened the other side. But when I tried to jack it up to install the spacers, it did not budge. The whole jeep raised. I repositioned both jacks several times to be sure it was on the body only and not just binding. I don't get it...so easy in the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Silly question maybe, but your description didn't really make it clear. Did you loosen the bolts on the off side from the one where you were working? Haven't put a body lift on a JK, but the one I put on a pickup a few years ago said to loosen one side and remove the bolts from the other. That gives you enough movement to get the spacers in. That was a 3" though, so maybe you wouldn't have to for a 1.5". But if you didn't have them loose the first time, it would be worth a shot to try that.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Granite Guru

The early JK's had 2 extra body mounts. I was wondering the same thing when I got mine as well.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Honestly I would not do a body lift at all. 1.25 is not much and could be achieved for less with a budget suspension lift.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

Sure, a suspension lift is better but there is nothing wrong with a small body lift. You will also keep your stock steering geometry which is a good thing
post #8 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Sure, a suspension lift is better but there is nothing wrong with a small body lift. You will also keep your stock steering geometry which is a good thing
Not saying there is anything "wrong" with the body lift but there is a lot more involved when doing one. Exhaust will appear to hang low unless you adjust the hangers. Bumpers will appear to be low as well unless you install relocation brackets. Gap will appear between body and frame unless you add rocker armor, which honestly is not a bad thing. Keep in mind, some rocker armor might not fit properly if you have a body lift.

These are just a few things that came up in a minute or so of thinking about it and I am sure there's more to consider when installing a body lift.

With a 1.25" lift, the steering geometry is not affected. The ride would be the same as stock, handling would be the same and you wont have any of the above mentioned items to consider. Plus, you said it yourself....suspension lift is better.

post #9 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Granite Guru

I am running 37" tires with a 3" lift, flat fenders and a 1" body lift. Works great for me and keeps the geometry within reasonable tolerances and center of gravity lower than a 4" lift since the frame, engine, transmission is only at 3".

I painted the panel below the tailgate matte black and got rid of the stock muffler. Looks fine and works great.

There's alot of people bashing body lifts however there are benefits.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

i see no problem with a body lift ..i've been using them for years on different types of trucks and suv's..my only thing is what has been mentioned before~the bumpers ...i usually lift the bumpers to match the body lift..

'15 hydro blue JKU...tinted windows,3.5 RC lift,1.25 BL,37" DC fun country's
post #11 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Rock God

Body lifts can have plenty of benefits and can compliment the suspension when incorporated into a build to do so.

You just have to know how to use them.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 05:50 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Old School mentality

Whats the purpose of a body lift ? to be able t accommodate bigger tires. What other benefit to you get from it.

In the past is was always the easiest, cheapest and most convenient way to get a lift to fit bigger tires.

The JK is a different animal. 2.5 of lift for 37's, 35's with no lift 40's with 3' of lift.

A little trimming or fender trimming or replacement is a lot easier than a body lift. They can be run without any issues, but the over sized opening at the wheel well and JK body allows much bigger tires that most vehicles with minimal modification.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #13 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Old School mentality

Whats the purpose of a body lift ? to be able t accommodate bigger tires. What other benefit to you get from it.
Not being able to see past bigger tires must be the New School Mentality.

They can benefit both the Budget and suspension/steering/driveline geometry, help reduce the need to bump stop for tire clearance allowing you to bump stop better for shocks (maximizing shock stroke/reducing lost stroke), allow more room to raise upper shock mounts without getting into the body, help maintain LCOG, provide room to keep muffler and exhaust up out of the way, increase tire clearance without limiting suspension, the little gap between the frame and body makes it easier to keep clean and work on, can be added to an existing suspension lift to increase tire clearance without the need to rework and replace any suspension parts, just depends on the situation.

You can build with or without a BL.
Not everyone wants to cut up their body.
Not everyone likes the looks of flat flares.
Not everyone has the budget to put all the lift into their suspension.
Not everyone wants the change in handling and performance caused by higher lift heights.
Some people choose to use a BL to compliment the suspension.

They are cheap and easy but do not use more than a 1"-1.25" body lift.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Valid points Slade, however I don't understand why someone would choose a 1.25" body lift over a 1.25" puck lift when nothing else has been done. Unless of course that is just 1 step in some master plan.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

I also did a 1.25 body lift along with my 3.5 long arm. The body lift made it easier to clock my atlas flat. Like others have said make sure you loosen one side and completely remove the other.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Valid Points

Makes sense.. that must be why I am always seeing threads and questions about :

Should I install a body lift to reduce my bump stop height ?

I want to raise my upper shock mounts for longer shocks, I should use a body lift right ?

I want to re -locate my muffler out of harms way, a body lift would be the easiest way to accomplish this correct ?

I like keeping my rig clean, but I notice debris between the frame and body, should I power wash that area or play it safe and install a body lift ?

I want to maintain a LCOG would adding a body lift to raise my COG help ?

As I have said, there is a place for them such as wanted the clearance to clock the atlas,

but how does a body lift on a almost stock jeep benefit the suspension/steering/drive line geometry ?

If by benefit you mean (does nothing negative) because its not affected at all that's one thing.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #17 of 17 Old 05-31-2015, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Good point, I guess the "Old School Mentality" doesn't need a "thread" to figure out how to build a Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode