Can't decide - JCR or RH4x4 Skids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Can't decide - JCR or RH4x4 Skids

I am having a very hard time deciding on which skids I want to go with. I am looking at the JCR and the RockHard4x4 skids. Right now I'm looking at just the engine/oil skid (including exhaust loop skid if I go with the JCR).

I know there are other systems out there, but these are the two I am looking at. A couple of things I have considered when looking at these two units.

1. The JCR offers the exhaust loop skids and RH4x4 does not. RH4x4 says they don't due to heat concerns. Thoughts?

2. The RH4x4 has the dome washers to help protect the bolt heads and JCR has exposed bolt heads. Don't know that that is a very big deal or not. Is it?

3. Could order the dome washers from RH4x4 and use them with the JCR. Any thought son this?

4. JCR has an opening for access to the oil drain plug. RH4x4 has a cover that can be removed, so you have a full plate without an opening. Thoughts on this...matter...doesn't matter?

5. RH4x4 comes with a shim plate and offers another one for an additional costs to help with installation in cases where the exhaust cross over pipe hangs lower. For example, when you have exhaust spacers installed. As far as I know, JCR does not and may have to use washers. Thoughts?

Again, these are the two I have narrowed it down to so I am just looking for comments, thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc. on these two manu. skids. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Wheeler

I was in the same boat and I went with the Rockhard's mostly due to cost with powdercoat delivered. The RH's are less expensive. Mine are about 16 months old and the finish is still in great shape, they have taken lots of rock abuse and salted roads in winter. The exhaust loop coverage is still good even if it doesn't wrap around. The dome washers that protect bolt heads are awesome, they came with trans skid not engine skid.
The only negative I can mention that doesn't bother me anyway, is the exhaust crosspipe that runs by crossmember which is protected by skid, rattles in winter only when first start up and drive, then goes away when warm-3 miles max. In Texas it might not ever get cold enough, it was 35F and below.
JCR is an awesome Michigan company with bunch of good guys I met recently, so you will be happy with them as well!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2015, 11:29 PM

I have a JK with Rockhard skids. Can't be beat! Been on the Rubicon, multiple Jeep Safaris and never had an issue. Love them.

2012 JK 2 door auto w 4.10 Dana 44s and E-lockers front and rear. Artec trusses Frt/rear. Alloy USA axles frt/rear. 3 1/2" lift w Bilstein 5100s. 35" Procomp MT2s with 17" AEV beadlocks. Teraflex S/T dual rate sway bar. Warrior steel fenders and corner guards. Pure Jeep sliders. Rampage rear bumper and Highrock front with Warn M8000 winch. RockHard skids. 20" LED rock light. Teraflex tailgate hinge/tire carrier. Rebel Hellfire HID headlights. Poison Spyder hood louver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode