Fender Flares - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fender Flares

Looking at getting some new fender flares for the Jeep. Just slapped a set of 35s on it - and would like to get back some of my flex. Interested in the Bushwackers and the Smittybilt. If anyone has an recommendations please let me know. I am not looking at spending a ton of money on a set - rather throw that into my axle or a tire carrier. So 700$ is probably max for me.

I like the Smittybilt cause they are metal, and since I am in NC, I only need to have 1/2 the tire covered - so the size isn't a huge issue.

Has anyone ever used these before?

Bushwacker Flat Flares:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12506_4444_07.htm

Smittybilt:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12508_4000_07.htm

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.

Last edited by samuelrclark; 05-29-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

Bushwacker
post #3 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Rock God

how about trimming your stockers? Honestly, trim yours and save the $$ towards future tube fenders. I think it is hard to justify $650 on a set of plastic flares that will get torn up when you wheel the Jeep.

A lot of great thread here on how to trim your stock flares, I dig the way rotorhead trimmed his: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3362

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Granite Guru

Aires Automotive tube fenders, ~600 for all 4 powder coated. gotta order front and rear from different places to get the best price though. and dont waste your time with their rivnut installer, borrow a good one

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #5 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
how about trimming your stockers? Honestly, trim yours and save the $$ towards future tube fenders. I think it is hard to justify $650 on a set of plastic flares that will get torn up when you wheel the Jeep.

A lot of great thread here on how to trim your stock flares, I dig the way rotorhead trimmed his: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3362
I have the silver "matching set" since I have a Sahara, and I really want black flares. I would either have to buy a set to cut, or paint mine afterwards.

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, Dana 44s, locked, 5.13, Artic Trusses, RCVs, all types of OR-Fab stuff, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Adams driveshaft, Teraflex SpeedBumps, Warn Winch and some other goodies...

Quote:
post #6 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Rock God

Bushwacker is probably the most popular. That is also the reason most people I know sold theirs. It's almost like having stock fenders - every Jeep has them. Other issues are that they fade, don't flex well offroad and can cause body damage, and they are known to be a total bit#h to install and never fit right.

While I do not like the look, MCE seems to be where many are going. Much better made.

You know the story with Smittybilt. Your choice if you want to take the quality risk.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Rock God

Samuel, I hear ya, but painting flares is super easy. I have done a load of TJ flares and tops with krylon textured semi gloss from rattle cans and came out great. heck you could even plasti-dip.

a bunch of pics online of chopped fenders for ideas, silver actually seems pretty good chopped, but if painting plasti dip is very easy.

Wojin awesome ip on Aries, dang their Alum set looks awesome and only $350 on front fenders wow!

post #8 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Rock God

Aries actually doe slook pretty cool I dig their alum but they also have steel powdercoated.

http://www.carid.com/aries-automotiv...n-1500202.html

Wojindo you have a link for teh vendors selling a set for $600ish? thanks!

post #9 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The issue I have with cutting them is that I am perfectionist - and I know that I could not cut them even, haha.

And as far as the Aries, this is the cheapest I could find them: http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/aries-j...lares.237803.0

And yea... I have found some reviews on the Smittybilt. Marcus said that they looked as if they were cut by a 5 year old with safety scissors.

Quote:
post #10 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojin View Post
Aires Automotive tube fenders, ~600 for all 4 powder coated. gotta order front and rear from different places to get the best price though. and dont waste your time with their rivnut installer, borrow a good one
I bought those and they were the shittiest, cheapest things I have ever purchased in my life. I sent them back the next day and got my money back. Please nobody ever buy these unless you don't wheel at all.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Aries actually doe slook pretty cool I dig their alum but they also have steel powdercoated.

http://www.carid.com/aries-automotiv...n-1500202.html

Wojindo you have a link for teh vendors selling a set for $600ish? thanks!
Total garbage. Please don't waste your money. I know its tempting, I fell for it but realized my mistake before I even opened the box. These things are made out of aluminum that's barely thicker than a beer can.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
I bought those and they were the shittiest, cheapest things I have ever purchased in my life. I sent them back the next day and got my money back. Please nobody ever buy these unless you don't wheel at all.
The more I read, the worse it gets. So sad - they looked nice. I might end up just saving and getting the poison spyder or gen right. Damn it... didnt want to fork out that much. Might cut mine for the time being.

Quote:
post #13 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelrclark View Post
The more I read, the worse it gets. So sad - they looked nice. I might end up just saving and getting the poison spyder or gen right. Damn it... didnt want to fork out that much. Might cut mine for the time being.
I tell you I looked at the pictures and was like dam these things look great they must just be priced more realistically than the big name guys. When the box showed up that had all 4 of them in it and I picked it up, it literally felt like their might not be anything inside. Then when I unboxed them I was like oh my god you have to be shitting me.

So I got my money back and went full retard on a set of Nemesis and there is not even any comparing the two. Not everyone wants to or can afford to spend 1500 on a set a fenders, hell I can't really but the quality is superb and so far they have been solid even rubbing up against rocks.

Take a look at Crawler Conceptz as well. I know Northridge was offering a package deal.

Last edited by rsbmg; 05-29-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #14 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Rock God

The Mopar ones are out now. Look like stock but way more clearance. they had them on a few vehicles at EJS but are available now.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Rock God

I really like my Bushwackers but if the mopar ones would have been out when I did mine I would have went that way. Bushwacker wont discount and the mopar ones would end up being close to the price after discounts.
post #16 of 31 Old 05-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Granite Guru

I have the bushwackers and kind of regret getting them. they are nice stock replacements, but for the money they arent worth it. Cutting them for free or going big for some nice tube fenders like metalcloak or poison spyder would be the way to go.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #17 of 31 Old 05-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Rock God

Are these the "Mopar" fender flares you guys are talking about? If it is, they're made by Bushwaker. If fact, they are Bushwaker fender flares.

http://www.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-unlimited/2015/

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #18 of 31 Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
Are these the "Mopar" fender flares you guys are talking about? If it is, they're made by Bushwaker. If fact, they are Bushwaker fender flares.

http://www.mopar.com/jeep/wrangler-unlimited/2015/
Is that 691$ for a full set - those look pretty good for that. Wonder if they fade with the sun like the BW ones.

I actually went to a Jeep Event/Car Crush today, and got to look at alot of built Jeeps, and I saw the Smittybilt ones in person, and yea - while they were light, I did not like the coating, and as Marcus said in another post awhile ago, "they look like they were cut out by a 5year old with safety scissors"

Saw those Poison Spyder ones in person... Holy shit. Beautiful.

Quote:
post #19 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 AM
Granite Guru

Have the Bushwacker's and have no problems with them. Great quality and fitment.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Wheeler

post #21 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Wheeler

I have a buddy that has the Aries, and a buddy that has the aluminum Genrite, both are exactly the same its damn near a copyright infringement!! Weight, bracing all is the same. Aluminum period isn't going to hold up to trail abuse. Get Steel fenders that come with inner bracking support if you buy any! The aftermarket plastic flares warp from heat too.. stockers are the most cost effective, cut and trim to your liking, if you rip them off there's tons of people selling them dirt cheap to replace.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Wheeler

lots of people selling but problem is none near by and naturally shipping would likely not be worth doing .
post #23 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Wheeler

The reason I went with Bushwacker is because they gave enough tire coverage to keep the fuzz of me and they were plastic. They are on the rigid side for being plastic but I have flexed them against trees without any body damage. I'm sure a hard enough though would transfer to the body.
post #24 of 31 Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox5 View Post
I have the bushwackers and kind of regret getting them. they are nice stock replacements, but for the money they arent worth it. Cutting them for free or going big for some nice tube fenders like metalcloak or poison spyder would be the way to go.
^^^^ This exactly. I got my bushwhackers as an xmas gift. They are nice, but I think I would rather have cut my stockers or if I were to purchase, bought some tube fenders.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgington View Post
^^^^ This exactly. I got my bushwhackers as an xmas gift. They are nice, but I think I would rather have cut my stockers or if I were to purchase, bought some tube fenders.

^^^^ Actually this exactly. I would not drop $ on plastic flares for a Jeep that will get wheeled, the Bushwackers will crack.

If you are considering plastic, and hitting trails, MCE is probably the best alternative.

I am planning to chop mine shortly, so wish me luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode