My LS3 Rubicon... Another MoTech Swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My LS3 Rubicon... Another MoTech Swap

I wanted to get a thread started for my project. It is mild compared to most of the Jeeps I usually see in this section. However, I think it will fit my needs quite well. I'm in Kansas City and don't do any rock crawling or anything major. It's my daily driver and it gets driven through fields occasionally to get to a decent place to go shoot!

It's a '14 that I put a Sprintex SC on this winter. Unfortunately, after a few months I really wasn't satisfied. The power was good, but drivability was pretty bad. Gary and the guys at Sprintex tried to get it right, but the diablosport tuner just isn't capable enough to fix all the issues. Additionally, I didn't feel like being a Guinea pig. The shifting was never really satisfactory. So I looked for proven solutions to increase power...

Now for the LS3... The Jeep is currently at MoTech in the capable hands of Robbie and his team. They are putting in a new LS3 and 6L80. It's getting all the usual stuff to go along with the LS3: HD driveshafts, radiator, exhaust, AeroForce gauge, and the cruise and tap shift module. Here are a few of the most recent pictures that show the progress so far. I'll be sure to add more as I get them.

And here's one from our trip down...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Wheeler

nice!

I was thinking of a 5.7 HEMI because I have an extra one. However, it's too much work for this jeep. I just got it as a extra vehicle.

2010 Wrangler Sport Unlimited 4dr. (Working on mods now)
post #3 of 74 Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJ View Post
I was thinking of a 5.7 HEMI because I have an extra one. However, it's too much work for this jeep. I just got it as a extra vehicle.
CPT J: I think the Hemi would be a significant improvement, but you'd still be stuck with the Chrysler transmission. I'm looking forward to having an automatic gearbox that actually shifts when it's supposed to. I've read every V8 swap thread I could find on this forum and more than one person has raved about smooth performance of the 6L80. If you change your mind and decide to drop in the Hemi, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Which LS did you get?

Kevin
post #5 of 74 Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Kevin: It's the 430 horse LS3 crate motor. Should be plenty motor for the Jeep.
post #6 of 74 Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

We're getting closer. The Motech guys got it in and started it for the first time.

https://youtu.be/vmHVPUe38c0

Last edited by rgeorge33; 06-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.
post #7 of 74 Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
Kevin: It's the 430 horse LS3 crate motor. Should be plenty motor for the Jeep.
You are absolutely going to love that engine!! Congratulations!!!

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #8 of 74 Old 06-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Rock God

I just had Motech put the LS3 and 6l80 in my 07 back in March. I too had a Sprintex SC that I wasn't happy with.

You are going to love that motor and trans combo. Best upgrade I've made!

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #9 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys! I'm sure it will be great. I'm beyond anxious!
post #10 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had an avenger s/c I liked. The Motech 5.3 is much better. Robbie helped me quite a bit with post sales service. My opinion is the 6l80 is as big an improvement as the extra torque. You are gonna love it.
post #11 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

LS3

I am currently thrashing on a rental SS Camaro while patiently waiting on my LS3 Jeep to return from Motech.
post #12 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Wow there is getting to be quite a few of us with ls3,s!

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #13 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud2moab View Post
I am currently thrashing on a rental SS Camaro while patiently waiting on my LS3 Jeep to return from Motech.
I've been driving a rental too... Last week was a Chevy Cruze, so not quite the SS Camaro you're driving. Maybe my rental selection is contributing to my eagerness to get the LS3 Jeep home! I was hoping to pick the jeep up at the end of this coming week, but I think I'm going to have to wait. Robbie and the guys are making good progress though.
post #14 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Wheeler

ls3

I thought that the SS Camaro would ease the pain of the wait, but it is just making me more eager.

did they send you the photos
post #15 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I thought that the SS Camaro would ease the pain of the wait, but it is just making me more eager.

did they send you the photos
Yeah... I've been getting updates usually once a week, sometimes more. It looks like they're getting real close. The only unknown at this point is the state of the new electronics that control the automatic AC and the cooling fan. The last messages I received indicated that they are not quite ready yet.

Here are the most recent pics:

post #16 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I had an avenger s/c I liked. The Motech 5.3 is much better. Robbie helped me quite a bit with post sales service. My opinion is the 6l80 is as big an improvement as the extra torque. You are gonna love it.
Your comment regarding the 6L80 is pretty common. I've read several threads that echo that same opinion. As good as these LS motors are, the trans is probably the best part.
post #17 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Wheeler

Keep us posted on your jeep.
look for my silver jk with the Tera flex suspension and King shocks, when go to pick yours up.
post #18 of 74 Old 06-14-2015, 09:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Keep us posted on your jeep.
look for my silver jk with the Tera flex suspension and King shocks, when go to pick yours up.
Got your body off, engine will be out tomorrow.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yeah... I've been getting updates usually once a week, sometimes more. It looks like they're getting real close. The only unknown at this point is the state of the new electronics that control the automatic AC and the cooling fan. The last messages I received indicated that they are not quite ready yet.
Is this the new Gen III kit your getting your conversion done with?

Kevin
post #20 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 AM
Wheeler

thanks for the update.
post #21 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Is this the new Gen III kit your getting your conversion done with?

Kevin
No, I'm getting the Gen II. I believe the AC and fan control electronics are just an incremental improvement for the 2012+ with the Pentastar. From what I understand, the Gen III kit really helps the home-installers much more than those of us that are having the MoTech guys do it in-house.

Robbie can chime in to correct me, but I believe the biggest benefit of the Gen III is less wiring associated with redundant sensors and the accessory bracket requires less work/adjusting to initially install it correctly. I think...
post #22 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

A few pictures of mud2moab's JK.

Were seeing a lot of this on JK's. Notice the LED bar light, 2 driving lights winch and winch controller. They are obstructing most of the airflow to the grille and with a high compression LS3 we may have cooling issues at speed. The fix is to relocate the controller and lights. It's 105* here today so perfect for testing cooling systems.

We are fitting our new dual radiator fan setup on rgeorge33's 14' JK. My testing shows it pulls more air than the Pentstar fan and it is controlled by the GM ECM for both condenser pressure and engine temperature. It's actually a set up we have used many times before but the first time in a JK. The advantage of the dual fans is not only good airflow but more clearance to the water pump which is an issue with the truck engines.

We're using OE fans which are powerful but affordable and easy to get from your local dealer, I'll try and get some pictures up. I want to thank rgeorge33 for giving us the extra time with it, his JK has actually been driving since last week.
Attached Images

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #23 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 02:30 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
No, I'm getting the Gen II. I believe the AC and fan control electronics are just an incremental improvement for the 2012+ with the Pentastar. From what I understand, the Gen III kit really helps the home-installers much more than those of us that are having the MoTech guys do it in-house.

Robbie can chime in to correct me, but I believe the biggest benefit of the Gen III is less wiring associated with redundant sensors and the accessory bracket requires less work/adjusting to initially install it correctly. I think...
This is correct. The big difference between the Gen II and III kit is the elimination of all redundant sensors and the JK C100/C102 harnesses; in addition later this year we will have new accessory drive components.

Functionally there is no difference and I have no issue with redundant sensors, it is simple and reliable, just more work to do the install. Most of our current swaps actually use the Gen III harnesses but we still use the hard sensors instead of the MoTech module for signals.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #24 of 74 Old 06-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Wheeler

Robbie,
Thanks for the photos.
I have been planning on removing a lot of the stuff on the front for a cleaner look.
That hood has really helped to decrease the heat build up, and both of our jeeps have picked up nearly 2 MPG. (1.8 mpg for the 3.8l and 2.1 mpg on the 3.6l)
post #25 of 74 Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
That hood has really helped to decrease the heat build up, and both of our jeeps have picked up nearly 2 MPG. (1.8 mpg for the 3.8l and 2.1 mpg on the 3.6l)
Glad you like it!

- The most functional Jeep JK Hood on the market!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode