How would you guys build? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How would you guys build?

Ok, so I've been reading threads here and other forums feverishly trying to make sure I don't do anything or buy anything that will require supporting mods and risk breaking my jeep.

I've gained a halfway decent idea but there is just soooo much information that applies to different people differently.

I have a 2015 bright white JKU that currently has a 2" Fox/Mopar lift, 35x12.50x17 tires with spacers, rubi rock rails, the factory spare mount with extensions for matching spare, rugged ridge QD trail doors, be stop bikini top, bestop trunk cover, DIY paracord grab handles, and DIY sun shade.

Because it's a brand new jeep, and i had to "buy it for my wife" it won't see any real hard duty until warranties are out and I "buy my wife a Cadillac CTS-V" but that's years away. But it will be used for beach riding and trail riding. Basically stuff a bone stock rubicon could probably do (with my winch i should be as capable.) And I learned my lesson with mud from my diesel truck days (mud is too damn expensive.)

Purchased/traded for are:

Custom front bumper w/ winch plate and stinger.

Tuff Stuff Xtreme 12500 synthetic winch

Custom Molle panel tube doors

Smittybilt fender flares

52" curved Cree light bar and custom A-post brackets.

Next items on the agenda are:

4.56 gears

Lunchbox or LSD front

LSD rear

Axle truss and sleeves

1.25" body lift

Rear bumper/tire carrier

Skid plates

Custom semi-matching off-road trailer

Roof rack

So with light trail duty in mind, is there anything wrong with what I have going here?

I feel like LSD's would better fit my needs, especially with a winch.. BUT, aussie lockers being as affordable as they are im torn. There is a good chance that my wife will have to drive it on ice at some point and I don't want anything that will pose a greater danger.

I've driven my old 600rwhp mustang in the same weather she would be driving in so I suppose she could just keep it in 2wd but i worry about how an autolocker would handle on ice.

My lift is currently warrantied so im hoping a 1.25" with my 2" will be fine. Maybe with a pinch weld trim?

Is there anything im missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Drive it like it sits if you don't plan on any serious wheeling - you will be amazed at how capable it is as its sits, bravo for making a winch a priority !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Rock God

Quick disonnects for the front swaybar if you dont already have them. Disconnecting is just as, if not more important than traction devices IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well.. When i say serious wheeling I guess I mean like, anything that could risk a rollover, damage to painted panels (ie, needing to ride the rock rails up a ravine), etc. I'll do as much as I can that doesn't risk serious damage to the tub.

I knew that if I wanted to wheel at all i needed to have self recovery taken care of so the winch was definitely a priority.

As far as disco's, i had planned on purchasing replacement Clevis pins for the teraflex kit and making my own, but honestly, I don't know enough about jeeping yet to know when and where I'd disconnect.

I also, already, rub at full lock on relatively level ground. Im sure the pinch seam trim, high line fenders, and body lift will help but could i really utilize the disconnected travel if im having rubbing issues now?

Thank you both for your replies.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok so... Upon further research, are the rear pinch seams the only thing anyone cuts? I assumed there were just a lot of write ups on the rear and not so much on the front. Plus I used to dabble in lowered cars when rolling or flaring the fenders was a must.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfireman View Post
Im sure the pinch seam trim, high line fenders, and body lift will help but could i really utilize the disconnected travel if im having rubbing issues now?
You have a 15, pinch seam is already trimmed from the factory.

High line fenders: take your pick. Metal Cloak and Poison Spyder are probably the two most popular.

Body lift: no, no, no, no, no, no, never, never, no, not on a JK, no. Is that clear?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Eventually i want to do full skids and gain as much ground clearance as possible. By that time my warranty might be up and I could get a better suspension lift but until then... I've seen as many people for BL's as I have against them, why do you say not on a JK?
post #8 of 13 Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post

Body lift: no, no, no, no, no, no, never, never, no, not on a JK, no. Is that clear?

Why so adamant about not using a body lift on a JK?

Why should 1"-1.25" body lifts be avoided?

What kind of negative effects do you get from a 1"- 1.25" body lift?

Will he have to alter, modify, or add to his existing suspension lift to run the body lift?
Are they difficult to install?
Do they have a negative effect on steering and suspension geometry?
Do they have a negative effect on drive shaft angle?
Do they decrease available suspension travel to increase tire clearance?
Are they expensive?
Do they require additional parts/components to make the Jeep drive and function properly?
Do they raise the COG higher than equivalent suspension only lift?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

A jeep is trail ready off the show room floor, sans tires on some models.
I don't see anything on your list being of a benefit or helping you offroad.
Gears would be good if you are unhappy with highway performance.

Get out and enjoy the jeep, you will find what you need in order to make your jeep more capable for what you are doing with it. The way you are set up now you can run the rubicon trail.

If you are not out bashing on rocks I would avoid skids as you loose ground clearance and gain a lot of weight.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Granite Guru

I wouldn't waste your money on anything besides an engine skid, and maybe better sliders - if they are the rubi rails...some will debate that but I don't like body mounted sliders.

No reason to update the crap out of it before you understand the limits, or lack of, the current build.

I would avoid a body lift because there is almost no point - waste of time, money, and the only point is to allow for bigger tires....you can just trim the fenders. I have a body lift that was on it when I bought it - pointless and I want to take it off.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-01-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
A jeep is trail ready off the show room floor, sans tires on some models.
I don't see anything on your list being of a benefit or helping you offroad.
Gears would be good if you are unhappy with highway performance.

Get out and enjoy the jeep, you will find what you need in order to make your jeep more capable for what you are doing with it. The way you are set up now you can run the rubicon trail.

If you are not out bashing on rocks I would avoid skids as you loose ground clearance and gain a lot of weight.
To each their own. I would like to be able to enjoy my jeep and then, years from now, return it to stock and make her shine again. Good point on the skids though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
I wouldn't waste your money on anything besides an engine skid, and maybe better sliders - if they are the rubi rails...some will debate that but I don't like body mounted sliders.

No reason to update the crap out of it before you understand the limits, or lack of, the current build.

I would avoid a body lift because there is almost no point - waste of time, money, and the only point is to allow for bigger tires....you can just trim the fenders. I have a body lift that was on it when I bought it - pointless and I want to take it off.
I will be having tubes welded to my rubi rails eventually, and have the rear ends cut down a bit since they protrude so far into the wheel well.

Like I said before, I don't want to have to baby it around the trails but I also don't want a ragged out POS in a years time.

I may hold off on the BL until after I see how she does with the fenders and bumper I've got. But, why don't you take your body lift off?

15' White JKU- 2" lift, 35" tires, Gibson MM exhaust, etc.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedfireman View Post
Well.. When i say serious wheeling I guess I mean like, anything that could risk a rollover, damage to painted panels (ie, needing to ride the rock rails up a ravine), etc. I'll do as much as I can that doesn't risk serious damage to the tub.

I knew that if I wanted to wheel at all i needed to have self recovery taken care of so the winch was definitely a priority.

As far as disco's, i had planned on purchasing replacement Clevis pins for the teraflex kit and making my own, but honestly, I don't know enough about jeeping yet to know when and where I'd disconnect.

I also, already, rub at full lock on relatively level ground. Im sure the pinch seam trim, high line fenders, and body lift will help but could i really utilize the disconnected travel if im having rubbing issues now?

Thank you both for your replies.
You should disconnect any time you are on a trail where the suspension will articulate.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

You are not going to rag out your jeep running mild trails and the beach, big tires are going to do more wear and tear then the trail. If you go into the woods you are going to get lots of custom pin striping on the paint so be aware of that.

Depending on where your tires are rubbing now what you are looking at may or may not stop the rubbing. Properly set up bump stops are likely the solution.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode