"cheap" Smittybuilt XRC8 winch install and some testing. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

"cheap" Smittybuilt XRC8 winch install and some testing.

I picked up a couple of the winches, one for the JK one for my roomates Waggy.
I was going to wait till I ordered a Shrockworks bumper but I got impatient and had a spare base plate
a hour later I had a "temporary" mount

Home made plate Its 1/4" plate steel braked to 90* torch cut and then ground smooth, it has 1/2" plates that plug into the "drop bumper/skid/air dam" mounts on the fame with a 1/2" bolt there and then it uses the 4 outer bolts on the bumper to attach it there. The "guard" is some scrap DOM that is way too thick for that application but overkill is good.

basically it is not going anywhere

It is a nicely built "cheap" winch. No plastic crap like on the Harbor Freight ones
[IMG][/IMG]
Neat touch is the "Free spool/locked" lever is index-able so you can move the lever where you need it. So if you mount it upside down under the frame you can rotated the lever to a good access angle.

bathroom scale says winch alone with the included wire on it is 60lbs so maybe 45lbs ish with the synthetic line.

sorry, no off-road testing available, so I tested the fawker with what I had.
a 94 Amigo on 35's and a 76 Waggy of Q78's

I tested it with only like 15-20 feet of line out seeing as winches are weaker with more line on.
Both the waggy and amigo were put in 4wd, e-brake locked and huge wheel chocks in place (They are like 6x8x12 chocks made for military 2.5T vehicles and shat)

It tossed the Amigo around like a toy.
It drug the waggy OVER the wheel chocks once it nearly bottomed out the suspension on the JK.

It never stalled, smoked, or even looked like it gave a crap. Its not blazing fast but no where near as slow as my old MM hydro. It seems about as fast as the T-maxx on the Amigo.

Anyone have any requests ? Sorry its kinda hard to get "stuck" or any wheeling in Norfolk. Although a few weeks back I did pull a honda out of the grass on base who was stuck to the frame.

It comes with wire line, not synthetic but it DOES come with the roller fairlead.

NOTE for new winch owners:
Cable, synthetic OR steel, requires care. Neither are "care free".

steel: keep clean and lubed. use a penetrating oil or a oil made for wire rope, its cheap and any marine/industrial place will have it. It can and WILL rust out from the inside.
replace when it starts to frey
LEARN how to correctly repair and splice it.

synthetic: UV light is bad for it. Put on a cover or I just make sure my last wrap is a chaff guard of 1.5 tubular nylon, this way no light hits it.
Dirt is its enemy so wash the line, it will cut the line as it gets between the threads. I will spool it out and wash it with the hose good or remove it from the vehicle and toss it in a mesh bag and then the washing machine. Let it fully dry and then re-spool.
USE CHAFF GUARDS !! you do NOT want to drag it across something sharp. tubular nylon on the line works well. I also carry 2-3 carpet squares that you can get for free from any carpet place. They make a great chaff guards and also give you a dry/clean place to sit while working on your rig.
learn to correctly splice and repair your line as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2007, 05:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great. Nice write-up.

MikeP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Rock God

I've heard that this winch is in short supply. Who did you order it from and how long did it take?

Dirty Minion #6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
I've heard that this winch is in short supply. Who did you order it from and how long did it take?
http://www.4wd.com/subcategories.asp...8&jeep-sid=195

it took "normal" shipping time like 7-10 days, nothing abnormal
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
http://www.4wd.com/subcategories.asp...8&jeep-sid=195

it took "normal" shipping time like 7-10 days, nothing abnormal
Really? Hmmm... you mean that sales person I was talking to at the Off Road EXPO lied to me!!!!??? A sales person lied!!!!????

Your rig looks good. Can't wait to get my XRC8 and put it to the test.

Dirty Minion #6
post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
JR
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayton1999 View Post
Really? Hmmm... you mean that sales person I was talking to at the Off Road EXPO lied to me!!!!??? A sales person lied!!!!????

Your rig looks good. Can't wait to get my XRC8 and put it to the test.
FYI - You can get one of those at your local harbor freight same day.

Milemarker makes them all, including smitty and chicago electric.

Take the wiring sheath off of a smitty or HF winch, and you'll find this

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
FYI - You can get one of those at your local harbor freight same day.

Milemarker makes them all, including smitty and chicago electric.

Take the wiring sheath off of a smitty or HF winch, and you'll find this

mine has the same stamp on the wire but do NOT confuse it with the Harbor Freight or MM winches ! the HF has a PLASTIC free spool lever and weird plastic ring thing connected to it. Ya it may use the same wires but the mechanics are different
post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 AM
JR
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
mine has the same stamp on the wire but do NOT confuse it with the Harbor Freight or MM winches ! the HF has a PLASTIC free spool lever and weird plastic ring thing connected to it. Ya it may use the same wires but the mechanics are different
That is a previous MM design that has been discontinued. Best example would be the SE9500 which had the plastic ring, which is now the SE9500C, and poof, no more plastic ring.

Milemarker makes them all. I do know that for fact. Harbor Freight may be carrying them still to clear stock, but locally the HF winches I've seen have metal levers. The MM SI 9500 in our JK also has a metal lever

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode