Aussie locker, Front and rear? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Aussie locker, Front and rear?

What would be the downsides of running a aussie lockers front and rear in a 2013 2dr JK?

2013 Sport

Stretched F+R
Coilovers F+R
Built and locked 44s F+R
40x13.5 Maxxis RAZR
Full skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Granite Guru

Rear would be on roads that are slippery or snow covered. Front would be same only in 4WD. I do wonder however the BLD would react with an Aussie locker though?
post #3 of 55 Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Granite Guru

I have that same question...would I have problems driving on the highway to go boarding? Will the front disengage ...when not in 4wd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't have an answer to this but I must say I have an Aussie in my front dirty 30 and the ratcheting and sometimes a quick bang that comes out of the axle will scare the shit out of you the first time it happens. Good luck.

its all about the crawl ratio.
post #5 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

front yes, rear no if it is a dd

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbeansbro View Post
I have that same question...would I have problems driving on the highway to go boarding? Will the front disengage ...when not in 4wd?
it only operates when in gear so if not in 4 wd you would not notice it.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 08:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have run front Aussie lockers in two JK's in my dana 30's with 35's. No issues and it has run well. The front is only locked when in 4wd. My rear is a Detroit locker and is always locked. When you have lockers you do have strange noises sometimes but mine has run great in both Jeeps. I wouldn't run the Aussie in the back. I really like the Detroit for this DD purpose. Heavy Duty

Pulling out of parking lots usually chirps the inside tire under throttle. I think it rolls back in the driveway further after installing the Detroit also.

NOTE:

Your area sees a lot of snow and slippery weather so you would want a selectable locker for the rear. An ARB locker would be a great choice. It does cost more but you will need the ability to turn it off and on unlike Texas road conditions. Finding someone with a Rubi take off would be your best low cost way to make this happen. This would cause you to need to regear your front axle to match your rear though.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-30-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

What do you mean it rolls back further in the driveway? Anybody know if the new JK's BLD system that brakes a spinning wheel would do weird things with a locker?
post #9 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

There is a little extra play in the Detroit due to the locking mechanism, so instead of putting it in Park and it rolling back 3", it will now roll back 4" (or something like that).

I had a Detroit in my rear when I first got it, but I have a manual. It had too much "gap" when switching form accel to decel, so I replaced it with an ARB.

No, it shouldn't affect your BLD, it will basically keep it from activating the BLD in the first place since it will keep all your tires moving.

Jeepless
post #10 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

Awesome.Thanks for the advice...
post #11 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

I'm looking at a cheaper alternative to air lockers by installing an Aussie locker in front and cable operated OX locker in the back.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #12 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

i was looking into a front aussie locker myself, but i read that it will engage "under load" which includes being in two wheel drive going around a corner under accelleration. everything i've read says you need to drive differently (roll thru corners) to stop the front locker from engaging, even in 2wd... but the posters above seem to suggest otherwise? i'd like the above posters to be correct, as it seems like a good price for a locker but i don't want to install something that will result in a bunch of clunking and random engagement under normal driving conditions.
post #13 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

My concern is just that...will the front engage under acceleration?
post #14 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies.

I've already re-geared(4:88). I should have done something when that was done but was talked out of it! Now Im just looking at an inexpensive option

Not to concerned about the clicking from the front

Why do people recommend against it in the rear?

2013 Sport

Stretched F+R
Coilovers F+R
Built and locked 44s F+R
40x13.5 Maxxis RAZR
Full skids
post #15 of 55 Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Granite Guru

I had one in the rear of a Suzuki Samurai on 38.5 Super Swampers and it was a mess on the road. It would disengage around corners and reengage. It was annoying and uncomfortable. I wouldn't consider it for a daily driver.

I am curious about the comment of a front locker engaging around corners in 2WD. I can understand a clicking sound but to actually feel it sounds weird.
post #16 of 55 Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Hi Folks, Aussie Locker here...

We have sold many, many JK front and rear lockers with customers reporting great success offroad and on road handling.

To address some of the questions here:

2WD - The front driveshaft in a JK (for example) is always turning, even in 2WD. This causes the locker to click in turns as it unlocks but it does not have other locker handling because it is not getting hard lock from the driveshaft such as when in 4WD. The only steering issue in 2WD is the "possibility" of the chunka/chunka (binding in very tight turns). So the answer is that there may be a click in turns and in very tight turns "some" vehicles can experience binding and the resulting sound associated with that. Slightly backing off of the tight turn radius will relax the binding and the sound/handling goes away

Ice Driving - We do not recommend using a front locker if you intend to drive in 4WD on the road in icy conditions. Most folks report not needing 4WD in winter conditions with a rear locker pushing them along.

Rear Lockers - The Aussie Locker JK Dana 44 has an excellent track record since release and we haven't had any reports of failures. An automatic locker for rear axle applications are a great choice because of cost, ease of installation, and both on and offroad manners. When someone asks which they should do first, I recommend rear lockers, especially if they don't have manual hubs or if they drive in winter conditions.

Hope this helps, feel free to shoot me an email, pm or call with any questions.

Thanks!
Cora
El Jefe likes this.
post #17 of 55 Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM

One more thing to add - 2012 and newer JK's, non Rubicon, with Automatic Transmissions can not accept most types of rear lockers due to their computers. Front lockers are OK in these models when driving offroad.
post #18 of 55 Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Rock God

I ran an Aussie in my 30 with zero problems. Held up much better than my axle housing did, haha. For the money and ease of installation it's hard to beat.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #19 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

Thanks Aussie Locker!

Good info about problems with installing a rear locker on a non-Rubicon JK 2012.

You suggest installing a rear locker first however I am concerning with the icy and snowy roads here in Canada?

Thanks
post #20 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Granite Guru

I've always heard an auto locker in the rear axle is dangerous on slippery surfaces and you are saying the opposite.
post #21 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
I ran an Aussie in my 30 with zero problems. Held up much better than my axle housing did, haha. For the money and ease of installation it's hard to beat.
What tire size were you running at that time? I'm planning for the Rubicon trail this summer. Going to be putting on 35's and thinking about an aussie in the front.
post #22 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieLocker View Post

Rear Lockers - The Aussie Locker JK Dana 44 has an excellent track record since release and we haven't had any reports of failures. An automatic locker for rear axle applications are a great choice because of cost, ease of installation, and both on and offroad manners. When someone asks which they should do first, I recommend rear lockers, especially if they don't have manual hubs or if they drive in winter conditions.

Thanks!
Cora
So... A locker in the rear is ok in snowy/icy conditions??

2013 Sport

Stretched F+R
Coilovers F+R
Built and locked 44s F+R
40x13.5 Maxxis RAZR
Full skids
post #23 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Granite Guru

Please explain, very interested to hear this
post #24 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
I've always heard an auto locker in the rear axle is dangerous on slippery surfaces and you are saying the opposite.
You just have to be aware of the fact the rear axle is going to be locked on slippery surfaces and drive accordingly. This is the 3rd winter I've had the detroit in my 60 out back, and living in new england we certainly get snow. Never had any issues, jsut gotta be easy on the throttle around tight corners or steer with throttle. Don't use 4wd too often in the snow cause the locked rear puts the power down pretty well, I only put it in 4 for real deep stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
What tire size were you running at that time? I'm planning for the Rubicon trail this summer. Going to be putting on 35's and thinking about an aussie in the front.
Was running 33's at the time. Wouldn't hesitate to run 35's at all. My axle housing gave up the ghost before I had any sort of locker failures.

Cora has wheeled with / seen me wheel and she can attest im not easy on equipment, lol.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #25 of 55 Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Granite Guru

Would a front Aussie or Lockright be too much on a Dana 30 with 35's or 37's? Would the stock axle shafts handle it? I hear there is alot less stess on the front axle than the rear, any truth to that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode