Engine Upgrade Questions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Engine Upgrade Questions?

I have a Jeep Unlimited, 6-speed Manual -3.73 gear ratio-32 tires, that I have added a True Flow XDI intake to. I am trying to decide on a cat back exhaust, MBRP is my first choice, and a programmer or tuner (Superchip, Unichip, or Diablo).
Someone suggested that I might think about getting a throttle body (69mm) from Mopar that is larger than the stock (63mm). What are the pros and cons to changing out the throttle body? A second suggestion was made to change out the stock pulleys and harmonic balancer with a performance set. Do they make these for the 3.8 liter? And, if so, what would be the pros and cons to these?
If I do make these modifications, would a programmer be able to take these in to account or would a tuner be more beneficial?
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
And, yes, I am going to upgrade the gear ratio. I am looking to do that upon my redeployment from Iraq.
Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

you'd be wasting a lot of money for very little return
this motor just doesn't respond well to attempts at performance gains.
The only 'real' help for them is a supercharger or hemi swap.

Of all the things you mentioned, the only one that I would see as worthwhile is the superchips programmer, mainly because of the other features, and it adds a little bit of power.

for exhaust, just take off the stock muffler and pick up a flowmaster for $75 and take 15 minutes to cut out a section of pipe under the drivers seat. The main reason for doing exhaust on these isn't performance - like I said, very little to gain, but more in moving the muffler to a less vulnerable position and get a slightly more aggressive sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Okay, makes sense. I've read several posts on the Superchip, but what about the Diablo Predator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Diablo are very new to the game on JKs
I'm not completely sure if theyre even shipping yet
I don't know what they settled on as a final feature set

I used to swear by Diablo on my supercharged Ford but have yet to hear anything solid on their JK offering

edit:
I just checked their site and it looks like they've finished with it!
http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...isplay&pid=150

I dunno, I'd be tempted to try it since they were so awesome on my Ford

I think someone on here ordered a Trinity recently, dont remember seeing anything after they said they ordered tho

One thing I don't see is axle gear ratio programming, but Im sure its gotta be a feature.

Quote:

Last edited by venom; 01-23-2010 at 05:28 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am talking here in Iraq with a couple of guys that do some tunning on an Acura and some thing other. They are the one's that suggest the Throttle Body change and the pulleys. Both swear up and down about Diablo. I am comming back to the States soon and have been set up by one of them with one of Diablo Ceritfied Tuners to see what they can do. I will post what comes of it.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

just be aware that ricer tuning and jeep tuning are VERY different
import tuning is usually a high RPM HP hunt for a lightweight vehicle
Jeep tuning is usually looking for torque at a lower RPM to move a heavy, un-aerodynamic brick

I used to have an S2000 and that was all tuning for max HP in the 6000-9000 RPM, VTEC range
This thing could use an extra 100 LB/FT of torque around 1500 RPM

Plus Honda motors are much more responsive to tuning than these minivan motors

Quote:
post #7 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjcl View Post
I am talking here in Iraq with a couple of guys that do some tunning on an Acura and some thing other. They are the one's that suggest the Throttle Body change and the pulleys. Both swear up and down about Diablo. I am comming back to the States soon and have been set up by one of them with one of Diablo Ceritfied Tuners to see what they can do. I will post what comes of it.
Please do that. Just remember, these JKs are no Acura. It's apples and oranges really, I'm sure.

Looking forward to info on the Diablo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Right, I wasn't comparing the Jeep to their runabouts. I have read alot of the posts on a intakes, exhausts and programers. Their suggestions on the throttle body and the pulleys were new to me, and of course, I decided to post them here to find out what you all think.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I have a Jeep Unlimited, 6-speed Manual -3.73 gear ratio-32 tires, that I have added a True Flow XDI intake to. I am trying to decide on a cat back exhaust, MBRP is my first choice, and a programmer or tuner (Superchip, Unichip, or Diablo).
Someone suggested that I might think about getting a throttle body (69mm) from Mopar that is larger than the stock (63mm). What are the pros and cons to changing out the throttle body? A second suggestion was made to change out the stock pulleys and harmonic balancer with a performance set. Do they make these for the 3.8 liter? And, if so, what would be the pros and cons to these?
If I do make these modifications, would a programmer be able to take these in to account or would a tuner be more beneficial?
And, yes, I am going to upgrade the gear ratio. I am looking to do that upon my redeployment from Iraq.
Thanks
John
MBRP makes a great exhaust and is my second I have ran on my jeep as I took the cheep route and mounted a flowmaster 44 in the offroad position but actually losy MPG and gained little difference on sound, then switched to the MBRP kit and have been super happy with it.....Also my superchip has been great but I did only pay $200 for it so it was worth the price to me...I use to run an intake until I noticed how much water could get sucked in when going through medium puddles and heavy rains so I have now been saving some money to go with a snorkel as you will get colder and better air flow with a snorkel anyway. As far as throttle stuff I have no clue other then those running the throttle body spacers say the suck. I know Borla just came out with some new headers but want $1000 for them(Borla being the only company I trust for headers) but also wait to see the dyno results. I think if you are really wanting any real power out of your jk you just need to save for a supercharger and regear if you are lifted and have bigger tires.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am going to regear, no doubt. On the intake, the reason I got the XDI was that it has a larger opening than the stock box, but still is a canister to help prevent water intake. I have experience with throttle body spacers--all bad, but this is the throttle body it self. Anyway, here is the link at Mopar Performance
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mode....html?cat=1225
post #11 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
JKO Addict!

I am the one who ordered the Trinity. It actually just came in this week but I am heading out of town so I wont get a chance to play with until next weekend at the earliest depending on how much time I can get on my friend's Dyno.

The Trinity is supposed to come with some preset tunes but I cant verify if it comes with one for the JK until I mount it and play around.

The true reason I purchased the Trinity is to have custom tuning done so I am not too concerned with whether it comes with preset tunes or not. If it does and time allows I will try to get dyno results posted.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Rock God

about that throttle body itself if you have an aftermarket Throttle body spacer will it work with that new tb ?
post #13 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

take the money that you were going to spend on all that crap and just regear. Then get a tuner to update tire size and gear ratio and call it a day. Aside from the you would need a supercharger or HEMI to make any difference.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #14 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
take the money that you were going to spend on all that crap and just regear. Then get a tuner to update tire size and gear ratio and call it a day. Aside from the you would need a supercharger or HEMI to make any difference.
X1000

The best bang for the buck is a regear to at least 4.56s or 4.88s with a 6 speed on 32s, then a Superchips Flashpaq tuner.

post #15 of 21 Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
MBRP makes a great exhaust and is my second I have ran on my jeep as I took the cheep route and mounted a flowmaster 44 in the offroad position but actually losy MPG and gained little difference on sound, then switched to the MBRP kit and have been super happy with it.....Also my superchip has been great but I did only pay $200 for it so it was worth the price to me...I use to run an intake until I noticed how much water could get sucked in when going through medium puddles and heavy rains so I have now been saving some money to go with a snorkel as you will get colder and better air flow with a snorkel anyway. As far as throttle stuff I have no clue other then those running the throttle body spacers say the suck. I know Borla just came out with some new headers but want $1000 for them(Borla being the only company I trust for headers) but also wait to see the dyno results. I think if you are really wanting any real power out of your jk you just need to save for a supercharger and regear if you are lifted and have bigger tires.
I just got some new info from Borla that their new headers increased HP by 12-16 and torque by 10 to 14lbs....I am still waiting on charts to back up statements, for the price to come down and for someone to buy first.

post #16 of 21 Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Wheeler

It's all a waste of money. Just re-gear to 5:13. This way you'll be good when you decide to go even bigger tires. Which we all do eventually. Take it from me, I've built my jeep 3 times now. Its best to just wait, save money, and do it right once. You won't even feel a difference, unless you go supercharger (5k) or Hemi (16k). If that seems like a lot of money, than you really shouldn't waste money on on all the crap upgrades that promise a few horsepower here and there.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Man View Post
It's all a waste of money. Just re-gear to 5:13. This way you'll be good when you decide to go even bigger tires. Which we all do eventually. Take it from me, I've built my jeep 3 times now. Its best to just wait, save money, and do it right once. You won't even feel a difference, unless you go supercharger (5k) or Hemi (16k). If that seems like a lot of money, than you really shouldn't waste money on on all the crap upgrades that promise a few horsepower here and there.
X2. SC or Hemi is the way to go if you actually want to feel a difference.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

The Truck Hemi is the way to go $10,500.00 turn key, or we can get you all the parts and you can do it your self on the Cheap.
www.jeepspeedshop.com
post #19 of 21 Old 02-17-2010, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
The Truck Hemi is the way to go $10,500.00 turn key, or we can get you all the parts and you can do it your self on the Cheap.
www.jeepspeedshop.com
It says $17,500 on your website......or do you give JKOwners a special special price for turn key 5.7 hem?

post #20 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
It says $17,500 on your website......or do you give JKOwners a special special price for turn key 5.7 hem?
The Truck Engine is $10,500.00 and the engine is a low mile engine
The LX engine is all new and is about $17,500.00 (5.7L)
The 6.1L is about $20,500.00
The 5.7L VVT is about $18,500.00
We are working on a Chevrolet engine deal coming soon
Thanks Todd
www.jeepspeedshop.com
post #21 of 21 Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks
John
Porting and modified cam...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode