Locker for D60 build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Locker for D60 build

I am in the process of ordering a Currie D60 for the front of my JK. I am having it built with manual Locking hubs also. I need to buy a locker and have narrowed it down to these two options (please don't recommend ARB or OX, Ive been down that road);

1) I have an Eaton E-locker in my rear 44 right now and love it. PROS= very good proven locker that I have full confidence in after running my rear one hard. Gives me the ability to turn it off for tight maneuvers on the trail. lets me run safely in 4-wheel drive on icy roads. CONS= They are expensive. The electrical or magnets can fail and render my front axle useless off road. A hole must be drilled in the diff for the connection. Is a selectable locker really needed for my front axle if I have manual locking hubs.

2) Get a Detroit Locker. PROS= Strongest, most reliable locker available and no potential problems with electrical, air, or cables to worry about. The manual locking hubs let me keep the street manners of an open axle. Very cheap price tag and easy installation compared to option 1. CONS= loose some of my ability to make tight maneuvers off-road and may not perform as well in snow and ice.

What would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Contact Andy from Finishlinewest. He just put in 60's in his. He also decided to avoid ARB's for reasons I'll let him explain but you probably already know. I do know he has a Detroit locker in his rear axle but I can't remember what he's using in the front.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

The only thing I don't like about an ARB is the seals can blow if the pressure gets too high.. I would get an OX locker.. If the cable breaks.. You can still lock it and unlock at the diff itself..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
The only thing I don't like about an ARB is the seals can blow if the pressure gets too high.. I would get an OX locker.. If the cable breaks.. You can still lock it and unlock at the diff itself..
Have you ever seen that happen? I have never heard of that happening. I have run Aussie, detroit and ARB and ARB by far was the best. Everyone I know that has or is running OX hates em.

For the OP I have never heard anyone complain about detroit

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Have you ever seen that happen? I have never heard of that happening. I have run Aussie, detroit and ARB and ARB by far was the best. Everyone I know that has or is running OX hates em.

For the OP I have never heard anyone complain about detroit
Nevermind.. It was do to improper installation of the X seal during the install.. DOH!!

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Benmar2000, everyone I know that have OX lockers (about 6 people) rave about how good they are, but are constantly monkeying with them on the trail - and often cant get them to work. So, based off of what I have seen in use, I won't consider them. They may work for you, but I will not chance it.

I have had ARBs in my last 2 Jeeps. They make a good strong product, but they are nowhere near as trouble-free as the Eaton E-Locker unit or the Detroit, and the Eaton unit is just as strong. Funny thing is; I complained on a jeep forum about some of the problems I was having with my ARBs in my XJ, and a well known shop posted that the problem was that the people doing the install don't know what the fuck they are doing. Well guess what, they did the install and the susequent work! ARB is a good company with a decent product and great customer service, but I found a better product IMO.

BACK TO THE TOPIC; I called finishlinewest but could not get a hold of anyone. So I called Currie and was told to definately go with the Detroit in the front 60 with the manual hubs. Keep the hubs unlocked on the street and you wont even know its there. Lock the hubs on the trail and never worry. They recommend a selectable locker in the rear. Detroit is now on order!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but does the Detroit not allow you to turn (by ratcheting past itself) like the Aussie does? I realize it'd still wreak havoc on the road in 4x4, but as far as when offroad. I had an Aussie in the Ranger I used to have and it never presented me with too much trouble. I just had to be fairly light on the throttle in turns so it'd ratchet past itself. IIRC, the way it was explained was that when locked, one wheel could drive past the other, but you'd never have one wheel go slower 'cause the other lost traction.

Sorry for the ramble, but wondering about that Detroit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Benmar2000, everyone I know that have OX lockers (about 6 people) rave about how good they are, but are constantly monkeying with them on the trail - and often cant get them to work. So, based off of what I have seen in use, I won't consider them. They may work for you, but I will not chance it.

I have had ARBs in my last 2 Jeeps. They make a good strong product, but they are nowhere near as trouble-free as the Eaton E-Locker unit or the Detroit, and the Eaton unit is just as strong. Funny thing is; I complained on a jeep forum about some of the problems I was having with my ARBs in my XJ, and a well known shop posted that the problem was that the people doing the install don't know what the fuck they are doing. Well guess what, they did the install and the susequent work! ARB is a good company with a decent product and great customer service, but I found a better product IMO.

BACK TO THE TOPIC; I called finishlinewest but could not get a hold of anyone. So I called Currie and was told to definately go with the Detroit in the front 60 with the manual hubs. Keep the hubs unlocked on the street and you wont even know its there. Lock the hubs on the trail and never worry. They recommend a selectable locker in the rear. Detroit is now on order!
I just liked the idea of something simple.. But if people are having that much problems with OX Locker.. Then I retract my suggestion..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode