Question for those with RR XHD winch bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question for those with RR XHD winch bumper

I'm pretty sold on the XHD front, but wanted to get opinions on a winch for it.

Don't think I'm up for cutting, welding, or anything like that. What winches are you guys running that are basically drop in and go? Looking to get something that's mid to high end as far as cost/performaance goes. Don't want to go too cheap, then have buyers remorse, but I'm also not looking to buy something just because "it costs more, so it must be better."

Also, right now I'm running a stock 2010 Rubi. Will that make my front end droop like crazy? Plan on doing a lift to run 35s in the somewhat near future, but still on the fence about what to do with that. Right now I'm doing some light wheeling in the mud and trails, so I'd feel 100% better if I could get myself unstuck.

Any suggestions or opinions would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

you can fit everything up to a powerplant in it... I am going to be running the XRC8 Comp winch. you will get a little droop on stock coils. I have TF coils and with the winch I got a bout a 1/2 inch drop

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
you can fit everything up to a powerplant in it... I am going to be running the XRC8 Comp winch. you will get a little droop on stock coils. I have TF coils and with the winch I got a bout a 1/2 inch drop
X2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thought I heard with some winches, the bumper needed to be modified some. Not the case?

Any somewhat easy and inexpensive way to fix the droop before I can get the lift done?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

you could just add a coil spacer up front. The XHD is pretty wide open on top. It did come with some kind of spacer specific to the powerplant. when I get home tonight I will check the install sheet and see if there is any cutting or welding. I had the ARB before this and the only mod for a power plant was nothing the frame rail I think.... NOTE: I have a pair of teraflex 1" coil spacers in the garage. $20 and I will mail them to you this weekend.

2015 JKU Sport Virgin

Last edited by GreenAmphibious; 01-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I have a Superwinch EPi9.0S. It dropped right in.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
you could just add a coil spacer up front. The XHD is pretty wide open on top. It did come with some kind of spacer specific to the powerplant. when I get home tonight I will check the install sheet and see if there is any cutting or welding. I had the ARB before this and the only mod for a power plant was nothing the frame rail I think.... NOTE: I have a pair of teraflex 1" coil spacers in the garage. $20 and I will mail them to you this weekend.
Yep. The 1" spacers would not only compensate for the drop, but also give another 1/2" toward leveling your ride.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Granite Guru

I'm running the XRC8 in mine. drop in installation (didn't even have to pull the bumper off first).
No droop in front, but I switched over to 4-door Rubi springs when I put the TF BB in.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Rock God

I have the Warn M8000, and it was an easy installation.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Granite Guru

I had and XRC 8 in my RR and replaced it with a 12K powerplant. I reinforced a bunch of stuff with my welder when I went 12K but probably didn't need to:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Currie RJIII ARB D60's, 5.13's | Trailready beadlocks on 41" Super Swampers | 6" Teraflex LCG | Custom cage | body armor | WARN HD Powerplant!
post #11 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

I'm running a milemarker SEC9500 winch. Bolted right in. Only concern is if you use the winch overrider hoop, it will block the remote plug-in.

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

hey I like the "custom" stinger on the XHD

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #13 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Wheeler

XHD Warn

I went with the Warn 9.5ti on the XHD bumper. Installed with no issues at all. If your worried about any sag you can add the 1/2 leveling spacers . I aldo added some PIAA lamps :-)
Attached Images

I'm not easily distracted. I...hey look, rocks!
08 Jeep Rubicon-Medium Build
03 Jeep TJ-Mild Build
09 Challenger R/T Mild Build
01 Four Winns 230 Horizon Stock

Last edited by Brian-08 Rubicon; 02-09-2010 at 06:37 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

Warn Power Plant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #15 of 17 Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM

XHD with "wings", XRC8, and bull bar.

I had this bumper installed by 4 wheel parts, but it was just a bolt on install. I just had a busy work schedule. I am very happy with the bumper, especially the ability to keep the fog lights. The winch fits up close to the grill, for a compact install, which I like (if you need more clearance, you could easily apply some spacers on the front mount bolts to extend the bumper out a bit). I also like the ability to remove the side wings, if needed. Also, the d rings have rubber washers and can be snugged down so that they do not rattle, but will still move when you need them to.
I bought the Smitty Built XRC8 winch with synthetic rope (installed with the bumper). It's safer and and 1/7th the weight of cable (all the time). So I would spent the extra money the synthetic rope, whichever winch you choose. Also, the smitty built winches are not very fast, but I owned one before (cable model) and never had a reliability issue with it (so I am a repeat customer).
Lastly, a front license plate solution had me scratching my head for a few days, until I found the RocDog Hawse mount solution.

Some pics:
Attached Images

post #16 of 17 Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Wheeler

I have the XHD w/ the hoop overrider and the storage ends and a Warn M8000. Also I mounted 2 KC lights using the rugged ridge light mount brackets. Everything mounted up without a problem.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

I have the same bumper bought a rugged ridge winch drop in 8500 lb for 299 works and performs great for what i need it for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode