PSC Hydro Assist - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

PSC Hydro Assist

Anyone rip out the stock equipment and modify with the PCS system? Wondering what is involved in doing this modification? What Parts, any writeups, etc...

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905

check this out....Bodyguy used this on his JK

Redneck Ram

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 83 Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah Phil has been running the same setup for over a year now and has no complaints. I had WTO rebuild my gear box and then mail it back with the ram, hoses and mounts. The PSC kit is overpriced

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Slow and Low

Word.
I too am running the Redneck Ram. It's slick and I have no complaints. Matt is a cool maing, and provides great customer service!
post #5 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Too funny. The whole way to work I was thinking about PSC steering assist.... and viola. For $499!

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #6 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

looks like a option. Need to figure that out more and whether I can have the jeep out of order for a few weeks while its in route to and from. So they take the stock equipment and add the hydro functions to it? Since this is new to me I was wondering if the stock equipment is sufficent enough to be modified.

Any pics of the stock setup modified?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #7 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905

They have a complete kit, no downtime. Still half the cost of PSC's kit!!
post #8 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Too funny. The whole way to work I was thinking about PSC steering assist.... and viola. For $499!
$399 if you buy at EJS, or get a coupon there from Matt and buy later...
post #9 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

booya! thanks.... no the question... is this over kill with only running 37s or does it really matter

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #10 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I would do it with 37" tires. I know Phil run 38's with it.

A full setup brand new is 699 is this discounted at EJS too? They also state this is the starting price not the final. Be intersted to understand a full setup and if it is really 699.00. That is a relly good deal.

Quote:
post #11 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
JKO Addict!

REDNECK RAM
Stage I... $
modify existing steering box

Stage II... $
mounting hardware (tabs weld on)
cylinder
(IF send steering pump internals, will modify for FREE http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html main fitting, flow piston, piston spring)
hoses
rod ends

Stage III... (Stage II plus refundable core $ )
$ typical CJ/TJ with no core exchange
$ plus refundable core $ for JK

mounting hardware (tabs weld on)
cylinder
(IF send steering pump internals, will modify for FREE http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html main fitting, flow piston, piston spring)
IF new pump ($ ) (not really needed UNLESS your pump is problematic)
hoses
rod ends

**NONE include larger reservoir

WEST TEXAS OFF ROAD (Matt)
1811 W. Beauregard
San Angelo, TX
1-877-833-7464
325-653-7001

Bottom line...
REDNECK RAM $ ... modified box, hoses, cylinders, WELDED tabs, modified pump (New pump Add $ )

Note: REDNECK indicates larger reservoir not required with their system.

I personally modified the steering box on my '93 YJ adding fittings, SS lines, larger reservoir (which I believe is needed for the cylinder flow), welded hardware, and a fluid cooler. I didn't modify the pump which was apparent as idling into a grocery parking lot the steering was worse than not having power steering.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by maverick; 03-25-2010 at 03:21 PM.
post #12 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Granite Guru

so we have to send in our box? that means downtime? what is the refundable core thing about? is there no complete kit to put in?

2007 2dr Rubi: lifted, 37's, custom fab work, lots of other stuff

post #13 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Either provide your box or pay the refundable core charge. Once you have their kit installed which means you removed your old box, you send in your old box for a refund of the core charge. Core charge varies as steering boxes vary between Jeep models. The JK currently has a high core charge as there are not many available in the salvage yards.
gotcha, i think. so I pay the 499+400 core charge, then install it, and send them my old box back, and then they credit me back the 400$?

is this a recommended upgrade for running 37's?

post #14 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr View Post
is this a recommended upgrade for running 37's?
I've been running 37s for two years and manage, BUT... majority of the time I'm on dirt or rocks with dirt which allows some slippage. Even under conditions suggested, I often wished I had it and... I have order my assist, but not yet installed. If I were in MOAB I believe on solid rock I would had acquired immediately.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #15 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nice info guys, now I have enough to makea decision. I have a little time before getting and installing because I need to purchase several items first so there is a true need.

Quote:
post #16 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Ipe
Rock God

NE, let me know if you want to look at a WTOR system installed. Thats what I'm running.

post #17 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
NE, let me know if you want to look at a WTOR system installed. Thats what I'm running.
any thoughts on it? how do you like it?

post #18 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Ipe
Rock God

I like having the hydro assist a lot. For the most part its seamless and invisible to the driver. On the trail you never have to fight the wheel, and on the street it seems to relax things a tiny bit. My only gripe is the OEM pump doesn't like low (idle or lower) engine speeds. This may be an issue for my system only, I donno.

post #19 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
My only gripe is the OEM pump doesn't like low (idle or lower) engine speeds. This may be an issue for my system only, I donno.
No problem with mine, there is a slight amount "slowness' at idle, but barely noticeable.

FWIW I've been very happy with the redneck system, no complaints at all and it works great, both on and off road.
post #20 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Slow and Low

I'm also running mine with the stock pump and 40's. No problems at all!
post #21 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Rock God

If you don't like the weld on tabs idea, Poly Performance makes a handy bolt on bracket for it. I've been running the PSC for quite some time. When I went for it, Redneck was only just getting into the JK thing and was talking a four week turn around. Just couldn't have the Jeep down for that long. Plus I needed to replace my PS pump anyway. Bump steer is just a distant memory and that assist sure takes the sweat out of a 40 point turn. Some of those cliff side roads are pretty narrow...

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #22 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
If you don't like the weld on tabs idea, Poly Performance makes a handy bolt on bracket for it. I've been running the PSC for quite some time. When I went for it, Redneck was only just getting into the JK thing and was talking a four week turn around. Just couldn't have the Jeep down for that long. Plus I needed to replace my PS pump anyway. Bump steer is just a distant memory and that assist sure takes the sweat out of a 40 point turn. Some of those cliff side roads are pretty narrow...
dod you have a link to the bracket? I cant seem to find it.

EDIT: found it.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-20450.html

Last edited by The Joker; 01-22-2010 at 06:54 PM.
post #23 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
dod you have a link to the bracket? I cant seem to find it.

EDIT: found it.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-20450.html
I purchased the bracket, never installed it, and am going to wait on the hydro assist. Anyone wanting one, I will work a deal for. It is in brand new condition.
post #24 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
No problem with mine, there is a slight amount "slowness' at idle, but barely noticeable.

FWIW I've been very happy with the redneck system, no complaints at all and it works great, both on and off road.
PhilD,

When using hydro assist on the road, does the wheel return to center if you let go like a regular power steering setup? I want it for the wheeling, but don't want bad road manners.
post #25 of 83 Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

GREAT STUFF! I will be calling and ordering one this week!

Currie RJIII ARB D60's, 5.13's | Trailready beadlocks on 41" Super Swampers | 6" Teraflex LCG | Custom cage | body armor | WARN HD Powerplant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode