Zone Offroad Products 2" BB - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Zone Offroad Products 2" BB

So about 6 months ago or so I installed my 2" Zone BB. I haven't had any issue with it at all and considering how cheap it was I can't complain even if I did

But I have a quick question for all those in the know around here

Should 2" bump stop extensions really be added to the Jk in the front???? Reason I ask is because I was under the Jeep today checking all the components torque, and noticed that my factory Bump stops are all chewed to shit now. Had to order new ones today. No biggie considering they are only like $10.00.

Anyway out of curiosity I went to the dealer today and checked out how much space there was between the bump stop and the pad on a factory rig and compared that to what I had with the Zone kit. What a difference. Factory was about 3-4 inches without a tape measure of course and mine with the extensions was maybe an 1-1/2". What gives???? is this normal???

I am begining to wonder if my front end sagged out or something? You would think that if I had 3-4 inches factory, that after a 2" lift you would need 2" bumpstop extensions.

Does this make sense to anyone??? I took the extensions out today and it does seem much better now but wonder if there will be an adverse effect in the long run?

Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Quote:
The factory coil spring was never designed to collapse farther than the factory wheel travel, so not installing extended bump stops may drastically reduce the life of your factory coil springs.
Is this just a load of crap???? right off the Zone Website. Cause their bumpstop extensions sure reduced the life of my bumpstops LOL!!!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon JK
Detonator Yellow
2" Zone Offroad Spacer lift
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

"Good roads bring BAD people, Bad roads bring GOOD people"

Was I banned? Hell Ya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eddie is an Ass Clown

Last edited by Stickerboy111; 01-20-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Wheeler

I had a Zone 2" BB lift with Zone shocks before I upgraded to my current RK 3.5 kit.

The day after I installed the Zone kit, I was driving to work and thought man this thing now rides stiff. On my way out to lunch, I looked at the bump stops and saw that I was sitting on the extensions! So that night I pulled them off since they were clearly not needed.

Originally, I had 1.5" clearance before the bump stops touched. This was stock with winch and bumper. After adding 2" spacer and 2" extension, I had zero clearance. Seemed very strange at the time.

I think the Rubi gas shocks must contribute significantly to the overall height since that is the only thing that I can think of.

Mark
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

YA seems weird that after I took the extensions out today I have about the same amount of space as the factory ones on the lot. Just doesn't add up to me. How long did you run the Zone kit without your extensions? I sure notice a much nice ride now too with out them in. I also have the Zone shocks.

I am not to worried about it but sure makes me wonder. I see every BB kit out there comes with extensions but are they really needed. Like I said I am confused

Detonator Yellow
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

Was I banned? Hell Ya
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eddie is an Ass Clown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

I ran it that way for close to a full year. I did some moderate wheeling, but nothing extreme and never noticed any problems.

Would be interesting to see if someone has height measurements of a Rubicon JK with the stock front shocks vs no front shocks to see how much the stock shocks contribute to the height. Based on our experience, they might contribute 2" to the overall height!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A year with no trouble has me a little less concerend now However I did something today which I think will work well. I cut 3/4" of an inch off the the bumpstop extensions and reinstalled them. I have ample space there now that I am not bottoming out on the bumpstops every little crack in the road. This will still provide adequate uptravel as well as enough protection from being able to collapse the springs.

Thanks for your input.
Chris

Detonator Yellow
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

Was I banned? Hell Ya

Eddie is an Ass Clown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode