Centerforce Clutch and New Transmission Installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac
Centerforce Clutch and New Transmission Installed

well,

i finally got my rig back from the dealership today. they have had it for over a week now. its ok, i was in no rush to get it back.

back in November I began having transmission issues (noises, trouble shifting etc) and the dealership agreed to replace the entire trans and attachments including the slave cylinder, flywheel and clutch assembly. I asked if they would install a clutch kit that i provide and they said yes. after way too long waiting for the kit, i ordered from a less than reputable supplier then had credit card and shipping issues from the next one (those were my fault) i finally got the clutch back on Jan 11 and went right to the dealer. they had an issue getting the flywheel, no hard feelings.

so the first thing i noticed when i drove out is there is NO clutch slippage. its either engaged or not. its also much closer to the floor. i asked if they could adjust it and was told that as good as it gets. no problems, easy to adjust to.
centerforce says that the disc engagement becomes stronger as RPMs go up. i will have to wait and see as the break in procedure says not to apply full engine torque til after 500 miles of "stop and go" driving so...

as for the new trans, holy crap. i forgot what it was like to shift with out forcing it into gear, to not have every word of my conversations drowned out by squeals, creaks and clicks. now i think i hear the noise from a cracked header.

all in all, first impressions are very good. its responsive, positive engagement of the clutch every time and very smooth.

ill report back if anything comes up.

questions or comments are welcome. bad mouthing is not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Nick, Y Centerforce .not spec? and if you don't mine how much was the centerforce? and how many miles on your jeep?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i wasnt too pleased with the customer service from Spec. no matter what i said to him all he wanted to sell me was the Spec 3+. WAY overkill for a primarily DD. the centerforce guys were real cool, listented to me and even called me back when he realized he forgot to tell me something.

i have 30k on the jeep, but have been having trans and clutch assembly issues from the beginning.

as for cost... well, lets just say it wasnt nearly as much as i thought it was gonna be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Glad to see you back in action Nick! I can't help wondering when my trouble will begin?

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Wondering the same thing about my own 6-sp ride. It is a Mercedes component, so having trouble is only a matter of time....
post #6 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Mine lasted a whopping 37k before the clutch took a dump. Next time around (i'm guessing roughly 30k from now) i'll be looking into one of these... or spec.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

were you gettting a clicking sound in 4th? i have that now, and recently its been poping out of 3rd

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Hope it continues.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
were you gettting a clicking sound in 4th? i have that now, and recently its been poping out of 3rd
shawn, i was getting so many noises, its hard to describe what i was hearing.

by the time i finally got it to the shop there was no more 4, 5 or 6th gears. and reverse popped out all the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode