Finding affordable used Hemi's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finding affordable used Hemi's

It is time to say good bye to mini van motor. Been watching the costs of the Hemi swap kits and used motors. There is a boat load of em out there right now! The big question is finding the right one. I have found a few that came out Ram trucks. These do not have the plastic cover on top. Is that the only difference to this motor? Anyone out there have any exeprience with buying a used hemi ?

Conversion kit out there?

Finding the right shop locally in So Cal with hemi experience

09 4Dr Currie Rock Jocks D60, 538's, ARB's, Teraflex Long Arm 4", MBRP, SC Flashpaq, K&N Intake w/throttle body,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't feel like looking it up right now, but I'm pretty sure you need the accessories from the Grand Cherokee or Commander so it's easier and cheaper to start with one of those motors.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I don't feel like looking it up right now, but I'm pretty sure you need the accessories from the Grand Cherokee or Commander so it's easier and cheaper to start with one of those motors.
x2 from what ive heard. go find you a wrecked commander.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingredruby View Post
It is time to say good bye to mini van motor. Been watching the costs of the Hemi swap kits and used motors. There is a boat load of em out there right now! The big question is finding the right one. I have found a few that came out Ram trucks. These do not have the plastic cover on top. Is that the only difference to this motor? Anyone out there have any exeprience with buying a used hemi ?

Conversion kit out there?

Finding the right shop locally in So Cal with hemi experience
I think I can help here. The Dodge Ram 5.7L engine is different in a few areas that makes it not a good fit for the JK's.

1. The intake size and shape doesn't work well very with any of the HEMI kits out there.
2. The front end pulley configuration doesn't work well either as the overall length of the engine is about 1-1/2" longer than a Commander or LX engine and this interferes with the new HEMI radiator.

The Commander, Grand Cherokee, or LX engine is what you need. BUT, the Ram engines can be converted very easily. The conversion, take the front end and the intake off and replaces it with the LX style intake and front pulley setup. The cost of new parts to do this from Mopar is about $1200-$1500. Once the Ram engine is converted to an LX, it fits GREAT and being that the Ram engines are usually much less expensive, this would works out well for many people. Believe me, I've done it. My current black '07 JK is running a 5.7L Ram (converted to LX) HEMI and I used the AEV kit for mine. So go out and look in your local junk yard and I'm sure you can find a great deal on a late model 5.7L Ram engine, then convert it and TADAH... you've got a Hemi for your JK...

Hope that helps or feel free to email or PM me if I can help.

Ben

email: [email protected]

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what year of ram motor does it have to be, After 04 they started coming with MSD (MDS). Cant remember? Reason i asking, i got a 04 Ram 1500 with Hemi thats doesnt have that. So finding something similar would be great.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #6 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
what year of ram motor does it have to be, After 04 they started coming with MSD (MDS). Cant remember? Reason i asking, i got a 04 Ram 1500 with Hemi thats doesnt have that. So finding something similar would be great.
same year or newer than your JK for emissions purposes.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
same year or newer than your JK for emissions purposes.
yes and no. Check your local state codes, in Texas. Here in Florida, we don't even have a vehicle inspections, so it didn't really matter. My '07 does have an '08 motor but if your state doesn't track it, it really doesn't matter. And also, when you flash the new computer in the Jeep, it flashes the motor to match the VIN of the Jeep anyway. Call Screamin Lizards and ask to speak with Gerry, he'll know.

Oh and the MDS is recognized in the HEMI JK swaps anyway. I removed my out of the engine before installing it in the Jeep.

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:

2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute

post #8 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I agree it better without it. Full throttle and all 8 cylinders all the time.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #9 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
I agree it better without it. Full throttle and all 8 cylinders all the time.
Exactly! If you're putting a HEMI in a JK, lack-o-power is not what you're looking for...

Ben Hedrick
Projects:

2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute

post #10 of 30 Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
jss
Rock God

The truck engine fits fine you do not need to do any mods to the engine or trans to make it fit
post #11 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
The truck engine fits fine you do not need to do any mods to the engine or trans to make it fit
Nice first post. Do you have info to back this up? It's been said from numerous other sources that it doesn't work out. At least not with the "kits".
post #12 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

I'm driving a 2008 JK with a 2008 Truck Hemi in it using a manual fan
post #13 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm driving a 2008 JK with a 2008 Truck Hemi in it using a manual fan
Any pics and info to back up you claim? I would be interested in seeing how you did it. as i am in the begining of doing my own swap. My appologies for the thread hijack..
post #14 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

Sorry to hijack a little here but I've been thinking about a hemi myself and have a few questions that someone might know...

-If I pull a 5.7 from a commander/truck etc. should I take the transmission with it? Is there a specific transmission to look for?

-Assuming I would use an AEV kit for the swap, what other pieces should I consider essential to remove from the donor vehicle?(wire harness, radiator etc)

Thanks!

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #15 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

I have some pics of my Jeep with a 5.7L truck HEMI and a York Compressor mount
Attached Images

post #16 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have some pics of my Jeep with a 5.7L truck HEMI and a York Compressor mount
OK, question. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BEING SO VAGUE?!!? Give us some more details. Did you use a kit or make your own motor mounts or what? There is obviously a few of us that are wondering.

It's like pulling teeth sometimes. lol
post #17 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
OK, question. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU BEING SO VAGUE?!!? Give us some more details. Did you use a kit or make your own motor mounts or what? There is obviously a few of us that are wondering.

It's like pulling teeth sometimes. lol
I'm getting the feeling he doesn't want to step on toes until he decides to become a vendor. Maybe my hunch has something to do with his username cut into the compressor mount.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I'm getting the feeling he doesn't want to step on toes until he decides to become a vendor. Maybe my hunch has something to do with his username cut into the compressor mount.
I noticed that too, but then again I know like 5 guys that have plasma tables in their garages so it's not much of a stretch to think this guy was just being creative.

If so, I can understand, so hurry and get a vender star.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
so hurry and get a vender star.
X 2 i am interested.....
post #20 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

We will be releasing a kit on JKO soon
post #21 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
We will be releasing a kit on JKO soon
looking forward to another alternative. Hopefully it will be well priced...
post #22 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Hemi+York sounds great

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #23 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Don't take this the wrong way but i'm with some of the others. The truck version may fit but it looks like a pile of stuffed in shit and unfinished looking.The intake sucking in hot air directly from above the manifold is a negative as well. I guess if i'm going to spend that much to do it I want it right, clean and to look as stock as possible. Please don't take offense, I am glad that it works but it looks like a nightmare to do much else in there, but I am sure the 6.1 has the same issues and the cover just cleans it up to help as well. I would also be afraid that throwing a belt would knock a hole in the radiator being that close. But i'm poor and it will be when mine is paid off before I do mine and I've yet to see one in person so I could be wrong as well.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #24 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 PM
jss
Rock God

Truck Hemi in a Jeep

The best thing about the truck HEMI is that we can do a lot of options, Like a Yoke air compressor, 190 Amp welder, under hood shower, or we can put the air cleaner over in the corner like the LX engines and cover the engine to hide it.
But one thing is for sure we all stared out using the truck engine and it worked,also we will not have any over heating issues with the truck engines not like the LX engines in a Jeep.
Thanks Todd
www.jeepspeedshop.com
post #25 of 30 Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The best thing about the truck HEMI is that we can do a lot of options, Like a Yoke air compressor, 190 Amp welder, under hood shower, or we can put the air cleaner over in the corner like the LX engines and cover the engine to hide it.
But one thing is for sure we all stared out using the truck engine and it worked,also we will not have any over heating issues with the truck engines not like the LX engines in a Jeep.
Thanks Todd
www.jeepspeedshop.com
Welcome to JKO. Congrats on the yellow star. Very interested in your products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode