Transmission Swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Transmission Swap

First I want to tell you all that I am new to the forum, and this is my first post.

Second I wanted to mention have a 2010 jk unlimited with 35" tires and an automatic transmission. After 2000 miles I am a bit tired of the automatic transmission. It is boring, and I've heard that the power difference between the manual 6-speed transmission and the automatic transmission is pretty big. I already tried to boost up my hp by installing an Airaid cold air intake, but all it did was increase the engine noise (which I like). Anyhow I wanted to see if a transmission swap is possible, and it would be too costly. I wonder if switching my automatic JK for another 2010 manual Jk is better than a transmission swap. I would like to see what you think.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

well first off is it a rubi or not? the rubi will get you 4.10 gears... and with 35's you need LOWER GEARS than what ever you have.

my CJ with a 4.2 and 4.10's and a 5 speed was ok. from what I remember the gearing for 35's and an auto is like 5.13 and for a manual is 4.88.

I have 4.88's in the CJ now and would NOT want less.

and the CAI is not gonna net you much... granted a programer to set the tire size and gearing would help but you need GEARS.

OR do you just NOT want an auto?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

well I don't have a rubi, its the 4dr unlimited sport 4x4.

On the CAI I knew I wasn't going to get any more power I just wanted it cause it provides better throttle response and a nice roar.

On the other hand, i've thought about gears, but I think I would be happy with a manual transmission. My concern is if its possible or not to do the swap, and the cost as well. If it costs too much I would definitely go for the change of gears.

2010 Jk Unlimited Sport
35" Mickey Thompson Tires
Magnaflow exhaust
Fortec suspension 2.5"
Airaid CAI
Hi-Lift
IPF 968s windshield mounted lights
HID lights
5.13 G2 gears
Poison Spyder Rear Diff Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I think that might be a doable project. But one thing you would need to check into is the computer. It would need to be reflashed to know that it no longer had an auto sine its tied into the auto shift points.

Welcome to the fourm

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Well I thought about that, and I have no idea of how that would work. I think I might go to a Jeep dealership, and see if they would do it, and if they would take my auto transmission as a trade in.

2010 Jk Unlimited Sport
Magnaflow exhaust
Fortec suspension 2.5"
Airaid CAI
Hi-Lift
HID lights
5.13 G2 gears
post #6 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Yeah that auto is worth some good $$. Also check to make sure that the wiring harness has the plugs for a manual (assuming that it plugs into the harness).

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A Sprint booster will help you out.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #8 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Rock God

I'd first regear to 5.13s, then run a Superchips Flashpaq tuner.

5.38s is better with an automatic and 35s, but you can't do it with your Dana 30 front axle.

Anyway, wait to do the tranny until after you have spent $1k to regear and $309 on the Superchips tuner.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I'd first regear to 5.13s, then run a Superchips Flashpaq tuner.

5.38s is better with an automatic and 35s, but you can't do it with your Dana 30 front axle.

Anyway, wait to do the tranny until after you have spent $1k to regear and $309 on the Superchips tuner.
That's a good point. I've driven stock auto / manual and the performance isn't that different. The manual does have a bit more pop when taking off but no big deal.

I will say that, for me, the 6 speed is more fun to drive on the street. But I like the auto for wheeling.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thank you guys, I would take your opinion into consideration.

2010 Jk Unlimited Sport
Magnaflow exhaust
Fortec suspension 2.5"
Airaid CAI
Hi-Lift
HID lights
5.13 G2 gears
post #11 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM
JKO Addict!

sell the CAI and get a programmer.... made a huge difference, then gears

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #12 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

good idea

2010 Jk Unlimited Sport
Magnaflow exhaust
Fortec suspension 2.5"
Airaid CAI
Hi-Lift
HID lights
5.13 G2 gears
post #13 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would think that a tranny swap in a JK would be bookoo $$$$. On top of the following mentioned parts, you will have a bunch of labor to consider as well.

Areas of concern would be a clutch assembly, all associated electrical components, shifter, console and the computer re-flash (if that is even an option) oh and the transmission itself.

Major question here is did you re-gear yet or are you running the stock gears with 35's?

That alone could be the root cause of your "boring" JK.

IMO, before you drop several grand on a solution that may net you zero results, (how pissed would you be then?) re-gear and flashpaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Rock God

You can come to my shop and swap my 6 spd for your auto , you will prob need to swap a lot of the engine harness. I hate that 6 spd and clutch. much rather have an auto off road.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #15 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I believe the transfer case shaft would have to be changed also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode