Side steps, armor, rails - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Side steps, armor, rails

Looking for some opions. I need to get some step bars for my 2 door so the wife and kids can get in a little easier. I will go off-raod in my jeep and I'm afraid I will bend/break the MOPAR tublar side steps. I would like to get some rock rails and my budget is between $300-$400. I am considering the Rugged Ridge RRC side armor, Smitybuild SRC rock guards, and Smitybuilt XRC rock sliders. I've looked on google and there are not many picture to see what the final application looks like. I want something that will stick out far enough to be used as a step and conformes to the body. from the pictures I've seen, ther RRCs look like they hang low and stick out to far and the Smitybuilt conform nicely, but may not be a good step. Any words od advice?

for those who have bought the Posion Spiders, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakmrk View Post
Looking for some opions. I need to get some step bars for my 2 door so the wife and kids can get in a little easier. I will go off-raod in my jeep and I'm afraid I will bend/break the MOPAR tublar side steps. I would like to get some rock rails and my budget is between $300-$400. I am considering the Rugged Ridge RRC side armor, Smitybuild SRC rock guards, and Smitybuilt XRC rock sliders. I've looked on google and there are not many picture to see what the final application looks like. I want something that will stick out far enough to be used as a step and conformes to the body. from the pictures I've seen, ther RRCs look like they hang low and stick out to far and the Smitybuilt conform nicely, but may not be a good step. Any words od advice?

for those who have bought the Posion Spiders, what do you think?
If you are referring the the factory Rubi style units; they are actually pretty good if your just doing some mild stuff. If you are looking for something inexpensive and already have the Rubi ones check THESE out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

//
//

post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Smittybuilt Side Armors....have pictures in my photo album.

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

I had your problem too, the pictured one above I wouldn't buy, looks like it goes right into the body mounts, I'd look for something that either bolts/welds to the frame or does a thorough vice bolt on the whole body to even out the load.

the one above with only going to those couple bolts all the force will goes to those flimsy seams on the body, not the strongest.

PSC for the JK I don't like, those rails are really tight to the body, and their round with no added features for grip. PSC Ricochet design is awesome but its not for the JK.

NIce thing about one that comes out from the frame is it is lower for the kids, depending on how high your jeep is, some say the lower will hurt you in clearance, yes barely but it is from the frame so a pure break over angle your loosing nothing, not like it sticks down.

River Raider is very nice, I love my Pure Jeep ones.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Long Arm Rancho, 37"MT Baja M/T's, SRC Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, XRC Front Bumper, Mile Marker 9.5, Viper Alarm, PureJeep Rockers...PM to ask my opinions

Wife: 99 TJ, 3" Lift, 32's
Had: 99TJ, 5" 35's....
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you ever get in the rocks, you definitely want something that attaches to more than the factory rail mount points. The factory Rubi rocker panel guards work well, but once you add the leverage of a step hanging out there, you are just asking to rip your floor and body pinch mount right out.

If you have a two-door and don't put your rockers in serious jeopardy (as in leaning the weight of the Jeep on the rock guard), you could get away with the ones pictured. If you have a 4-door, you have that much more weight and leverage on the side with an added step, so a frame mount step would be advisable whether you get in rocks or not.

And if rocks bigger than basketballs are looming in your future, regardless or 2-door or 4-door, then look for frame mount steps/rails/guards. I had mine custom-fabbed by Phx local shops, so I don't have a specific manufacturer to recommend for these.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

just buy a set of rubi rails for $100ish and have tube welded up.

I run TF sliders and they are great!!!! but more than $300

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go with the OR-Fab sliders and side armor, rails stick out a good 2-3 inches perfect for a step

rails can be used without the armor, they are 2 separate pieces

post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

Contact Andy at Finish Line West I just installed mine, I believe there on his website for $ 375, bulletproof.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
post #9 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

There is only one place I would get them LOD. I love mine. Had them Rhino lined and they look awesome....

Attachment 15797

Last edited by Highrlr; 01-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
Smittybuilt Side Armors....have pictures in my photo album.
I have the same ones on my mini ohana beach crawler.
Here's a pic - Its the first rig in this thread https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18624 There was a writeup on these rails in either the scrapbook or writeup sections but I couldn't find it.

~ Clam
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the pictures, they look good
post #12 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was going to do that, then I couldn't find someone who could fabricate and weld the tubes on. I'm still looking. Did you sell your bumber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode