35" Spare on Stock Carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

35" Spare on Stock Carrier

Anybody have experience with this? I currently have 35s on the ground, but a 33" spare. I have a plan to modify the carrier and use a spacer to get a 35 to fit, but am concerned about the weight on the tailgate. Maybe reinforce the inside of the tailgate with plate steel? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Rock God

ppl do it, but that's the reason you see all the aftermarket bumpers with tire-carriers. I wouldn't do it -for long- on the stock carrier personally.

fnord
post #3 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905

I had my 35" spare on the stock carrier for about 8000 miles with no issues, but I have a finishlinewest rear bumper and carrier on the way. The only thing you will have to keep in mind is your backspacing, but you should be ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can't recommend you wheel it hard that way. I bent the shit outa my tailgate when I hung on my 33" spare comin off a ledge. After the fact I was surprised it didn't rip the tailgate off entirely (seen that happen too). Issues are that the spare hangs low on the stock carrier compared to aftermarket swings and it's made of cast aluminum so repeated vibration could cause cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Can't recommend you wheel it hard that way. I bent the shit outa my tailgate when I hung on my 33" spare comin off a ledge. After the fact I was surprised it didn't rip the tailgate off entirely (seen that happen too). Issues are that the spare hangs low on the stock carrier compared to aftermarket swings and it's made of cast aluminum so repeated vibration could cause cracking.
Thanks. Yeah the hangin up part is something to be concerned about. I am sure it would just be a matter of time before it happens.

I think you guys are convincing me to spend the money on a swing out.

Thanks again for the input!!
post #6 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
JKO Addict!

been covered here before. I ran a 35 as a spare on the stock mount for 20k miles or so with no issues. I also mounted my tire backwards (face to mount) and it spaced it enough to clear the stock bumper
post #7 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well just bit the bullet and ordered the Mopar rear bumper and swing out. Should work well with the XHD front bumper and Smittybilt winch also on the way!

Thanks again.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthibodeaux View Post
Anybody have experience with this? I currently have 35s on the ground, but a 33" spare. I have a plan to modify the carrier and use a spacer to get a 35 to fit, but am concerned about the weight on the tailgate. Maybe reinforce the inside of the tailgate with plate steel? Thanks.

Mine was fine for a long time until I jumped a sand dune ...sort of bent the tailgate up a little. Still worked fine but had a nice loud annoying rattle afterwards.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Never hung my 35 on anything, yet. Not even close really. If whomever hit a 33" tire, then it doesn't matter what tire was on there it would have hit. I've wheeled mine and had no issues. I also have mine setup to where the plastic rear bumper is helping take the wiggle out of the tire going down the trails. Works fine for now, if they had decent looking rear bumpers/carriers that didn't cost $1500..i'd have one. Outrageous.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

my 35 sits on my stock tire carrier. it's annoying as hell, it was ok for about 3-4k miles but now it just squeaks all the time, it's driving me crazy

I understand the Jeep thing
post #11 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to JTs-JK Send a message via Yahoo to JTs-JK

I'm at 48K and I'm just know seeing cracks in the stock carrier. If I don't get a 2010 with half doors I'll get a swing out carrier when I get back from my deployment.
JT
post #12 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Inferno View Post
my 35 sits on my stock tire carrier. it's annoying as hell, it was ok for about 3-4k miles but now it just squeaks all the time, it's driving me crazy
you ever clean the seals?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthibodeaux View Post
Well just bit the bullet and ordered the Mopar rear bumper and swing out.
what did that run you?

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #14 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Never hung my 35 on anything, yet. Not even close really. If whomever hit a 33" tire, then it doesn't matter what tire was on there it would have hit. I've wheeled mine and had no issues. I also have mine setup to where the plastic rear bumper is helping take the wiggle out of the tire going down the trails. Works fine for now, if they had decent looking rear bumpers/carriers that didn't cost $1500..i'd have one. Outrageous.
x2... ran mine for about 12K. the only reason I'm not still running it like that is I got a steal on a rear bumper and tire carrier (craigslist find)

Joe -
-
-
-
post #15 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Granite Guru

i have a spare tires spacer if you need it. u will need it to fit the 35 on there

2013 JKU Commando Green
3.5 inch Metalcloack
Fox 2.0 performance shocks
35s Toyo M/T on 18 inch mayham wheels
DV8 offroad front bumper
Flowmaster exhaust
post #16 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's some info on the carrier......as usual YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Owners Manual p.358
Spare Tire Stowage
To remove the spare tire from the carrier, remove the tire
cover, if equipped, and remove the lug nuts with the lug
wrench turning them counterclockwise.
NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

Stock 245-75r16 Wrangler SR-A with 16" alloy wheels is already 51.4 lbs.

I've not weighed the stock Rubi tire/wheel I'm running now but I know it weighs more than the SR-A.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Exactly my point

Only reason I'm not running that Rancho POS is I got a steal of a deal on a "defective" SRC for $350. It wasn't THAT defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Wheeler

The Rubi weight is right around 74/75 lbs. sooooo......50 lbs. max?
post #19 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELONHEAD View Post
The Rubi weight is right around 74/75 lbs. sooooo......50 lbs. max?
Yeah that was kind of my point. Chrysler has already exceeded their max weight limit. How much becomes too much, who knows?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Rock God

i've seen 35's, 36's, and 37's mounted on the stock carriers..

if your running stock wheels then you will need spacers, after market wheels from 5"bs and less you wont need a spacer on the carrier..

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #21 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Rock God

I have had a 110lb 35" BFG on WE's for 3 years now, I haven't hung it on anything yet, but it has started to squeak a little. Just need to wait till April to order my rear bumper. Wife promised that I could order it then...

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #22 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

superman not true cause i had mine and the 35inch tire hit my bumper

2013 JKU Commando Green
3.5 inch Metalcloack
Fox 2.0 performance shocks
35s Toyo M/T on 18 inch mayham wheels
DV8 offroad front bumper
Flowmaster exhaust
post #23 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

I took my new 35s off the gate after a few days.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi

Last edited by highoctane; 01-14-2010 at 08:27 PM.
post #24 of 28 Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekum1627 View Post
superman not true cause i had mine and the 35inch tire hit my bumper
well then i stand corrected.. thanks.. but i did forget to mention that with the stock rear bumper you might want to take the bumper off if you have 36's or 37's

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #25 of 28 Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
what did that run you?
Got the Mopar bumper and swing out from justforjeeps.com for $1131 to my door. Yes it did hurt my feelings!

But hey, it's only money....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode