battery light....... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

battery light.......

ill make this short and sweet. The battery light comes on when i drive through deep snow even like 8 inches. ill drive, the snow kicks up some and it will turn on. when i turn it off and back on the light goes away. whats goin on here????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is just a wild guess but possibly snow is getting on the belt causing some slippage and the alternator output drops enough to turn on the light. Either that or snow is getting into the alternator and it's not liking it.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

Mine did that too... I figured the alt got a little snow in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thats what i thought but i wasnt sure...ill tell you what though its getting pretty damn annoying! anyone have an idea how to fix this problem
post #5 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKkeebler View Post
thats what i thought but i wasnt sure...ill tell you what though its getting pretty damn annoying! anyone have an idea how to fix this problem
Do you have your splash shields still on? If you took them off like some people do, put them back on. An engine skid plate or a sway-bar skid might help, too. I'm just guessing and thinking out loud. Drive behind a PennDOT truck.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lol screw penndot i rather them not plow at all! but yea i have all of the shields on still.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

Id almost believe this to be related to the battery temp sensor if multiple people are having the same issue in the snow.

Id plug in a decent scan gauge & go find some snow. Check the parameters of all related components.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Garage
Exclamation Battery Light

I'm having about the same issue. For the last month my Battery light randomly comes on and stays on until the next time I start the engine. Some days it comes on 2 or 3 times in the course of the day. I drove 3 hours home from Truckhaven to Fullerton with it on (Part way in the dark) and no hint of a low battery. I'm watching for a tester I can plug into the lighter outlet just to be sure, but after a month and the battery is not dead, I'm thinking the alternator is working......

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Humm, Keebs I'm surprised, I've been out in the snow too, my skid was "ripped" off a year ago and I haven't had this happen. I'll let you know though if it does this weekend. It might be something else. What year is your rig and do you have extra stuff running off the battery?

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #10 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I'm having about the same issue. For the last month my Battery light randomly comes on and stays on until the next time I start the engine. Some days it comes on 2 or 3 times in the course of the day. I drove 3 hours home from Truckhaven to Fullerton with it on (Part way in the dark) and no hint of a low battery. I'm watching for a tester I can plug into the lighter outlet just to be sure, but after a month and the battery is not dead, I'm thinking the alternator is working......
I stopped at PepBoys and picked up a little tester that plugs into the lighter outlet. Sure enough when the Red Battery light comes on it is not charging.
Attached Images

Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.

Last edited by jacktuttle; 02-05-2010 at 07:34 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Granite Guru

computer throwing any codes

Is the computer throwing any codes ? You can check yourself if you don't have a scan tool by turning the key from OFF to ON 3 times in a row ending in ON position and any codes will show on the odometer. My battery light has been coming on this week as well and I'm getting codes:

P2503 Charging System Output Low
P2504 Charging System Output High

Had the Jeep in the shop yesterday to get looked at and everything checked out ok, battery, alternator. They recommended TSB 18-036-06 which is for a battery light issue. Having that flash done today at a local dealer we'll see what happens.

2013 Unlimited Rubicon - Billet Silver
2.5" Teraflex coil lift | 35" BFG AT KO2s | AEV Pintler Wheels - Onyx

post #12 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up Good Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi View Post
Is the computer throwing any codes ? You can check yourself if you don't have a scan tool by turning the key from OFF to ON 3 times in a row ending in ON position and any codes will show on the odometer. My battery light has been coming on this week as well and I'm getting codes:

Had the Jeep in the shop yesterday to get looked at and everything checked out ok, battery, alternator. They recommended TSB 18-036-06 which is for a battery light issue. Having that flash done today at a local dealer we'll see what happens.
I will try this as soon as I get off work! Thanks for the info.

post #13 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I will try this as soon as I get off work! Thanks for the info.
Post up what you find. I just got back from the dealer after having the TSB 18-036-06 flash update at no charge !!! We'll see if the battery light comes on again

2013 Unlimited Rubicon - Billet Silver
2.5" Teraflex coil lift | 35" BFG AT KO2s | AEV Pintler Wheels - Onyx

post #14 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post No Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi View Post

I tried this at lunch. No codes, got fast food and the Battery Light came on. Checked again and no codes. I'll try and find a code reader.

post #15 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post 07 - 08

I called the Stealership, they said that the 07's will give the codes on the dash, but not the 08's... Guess I'll have to let them take a look at it....

post #16 of 20 Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Rock God

Garage
Talking Fixed

I took it to the StealerShip on Friday afternoon. They told me it would be $110.00 to check it out and that my warranty had expired 4 days earlier when I went over 36000 miles. I asked about the $0 deductible 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty that they had sold me. They had no record of it. (Of Course). I did not pay the $110.00 instead came home and had the wife dig up the warranty paperwork. I went back on Saturday with the paperwork. I talked with the Service manager and he agreed to cut the fee in half to $55.00 to check it out and if it was a covered repair under the extended warranty then no charge. As they were now meeting my half way I agreed. The mechanic found that the positive battery cable was loose at the post. He tightened it up and that seems to have solved the problem. Of course that is not a warranty issue because I have replaced the battery and added some accessories. I happily paid the $55.00 and gave the mechanic a 12 pack for tomorrows game.

post #17 of 20 Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
I called the Stealership, they said that the 07's will give the codes on the dash, but not the 08's... Guess I'll have to let them take a look at it....
Thats bogus... i was getting a random "ding" with no warning light on the dash. i called the dealership to inquire. the instructed me to read the codes off the odometer, walking me through the steps with the key... i wouldnt trust them all too much... after reading your post about them not having the extended warranty... i wouldnt trust them at all!!

i see you have an "Easy Button"

have you seen the "Bullshit" buttons?

post #18 of 20 Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Garage
Easy Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
Thats bogus... i was getting a random "ding" with no warning light on the dash. i called the dealership to inquire. the instructed me to read the codes off the odometer, walking me through the steps with the key... i wouldnt trust them all too much... after reading your post about them not having the extended warranty... i wouldnt trust them at all!!

i see you have an "Easy Button"

have you seen the "Bullshit" buttons?
Of course it has an easy button, it's a Rubicon!

No I don't trust the Stealership, What was the combo to get the codes?

post #19 of 20 Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I took it to the StealerShip on Friday afternoon. They told me it would be $110.00 to check it out and that my warranty had expired 4 days earlier when I went over 36000 miles. I asked about the $0 deductible 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty that they had sold me. They had no record of it. (Of Course). I did not pay the $110.00 instead came home and had the wife dig up the warranty paperwork. I went back on Saturday with the paperwork. I talked with the Service manager and he agreed to cut the fee in half to $55.00 to check it out and if it was a covered repair under the extended warranty then no charge. As they were now meeting my half way I agreed. The mechanic found that the positive battery cable was loose at the post. He tightened it up and that seems to have solved the problem. Of course that is not a warranty issue because I have replaced the battery and added some accessories. I happily paid the $55.00 and gave the mechanic a 12 pack for tomorrows game.
Wow. 55$ to tighten a battery cable. I think they made out pretty good!
glad you got it fixed at least.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post 55$ to tighten a battery cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
Wow. 55$ to tighten a battery cable. I think they made out pretty good!
glad you got it fixed at least.
Yes I was thinking the same thing, but still better than the $110.00 they wanted...... On the plus side they said if the light cam back on there would be no additional charge. (Means they knew it was high to tighten one nut). . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode