endlink mounts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

endlink mounts

Has anyone here ever bent one of the tabs on your axle where the endlink mounts? Did you fix it? How?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

If the part in question is the sway bar link mount, then:

Yes. Large hammer. Cussing.

How bent? If it's past 45, then you might want to replace it. It's not a trail-ending break. The Jeep definitely gets weird at speed if one side is connected and the other is not, so don't do that.

Do you know HOW you bent it? Do you have sway bar disconnects that you didn't have disconnected and you went wheeling or hit a bad bump? That is the most common way I have bent mine.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Not sure how I bent it. About two weeks ago I installed a TF leveling kit w/provided endlinks which the instructions stated went in the front, not the rear as is the case with their bb. Fast forward to yesterday and I happen to look at the endlink as I am walking by the front of my Jeep, I noticed that there is no nut or bolt holding to the swaybar. It fell out at some point. After that I noticed that the tab on the axle, which the link is still bolted to is bent outward toward the tire at close to 45 deg but not quite. My best guess is that at some point after the bolt fell out that allowed the link to get bound up somewhere and in turn bent the tab. I assume this is the case because there is some paint missing in the middle of the link and it is slightly bent as well. The funny thing is that when I noticed the bolt was gone the link was still perfectly lined up with the hole in the sway bar. The link is hooked back up now, w/ lots of thread lock, but it is at a pretty tweaked angle. I tried to knock it back into place with a hammer to no avail. Im going to try again with a bigger hammer, hopefully that will do the trick. There's not alot of room to get a good swing at it because of the way it is bent. My main concern is that if I am able to bend it back it wont be as strong, I guess if it breaks then I'll just have to have it welded back on. Sorry for the long winded explanation, the whole things just kind of a mystery as I have not really wheeled it much being I live in Nebraska and theres not too many options around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode