? NG 44 Gear Change - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
? NG 44 Gear Change

I will start with, if you don't due your own gears please do not reply.

Did you reuse the oil hold back ring (shim that looks like a hat) when you replaced the inner pinion bearing race? I'm going to try and clean this one up but I'm curious how many people run without one.

This wasn't in the plan; I've been looking for a replacement but haven't been able to place my hands on one. I had no intention on replacing my bearings until I opened housing. I had the front axle serviced twice by the dealer due to oil leaks and when I drained the housing I got a cup of gear oil out. The service manager told me he fixed it and it wouldn't leak again I didn't think they would take it to the extreme. So now I'm replacing the bearings (easy to find local).

On the older HP 44's I usually junked it and place a shim there; but that was on a part-time unit with lock out hubs.

Any vendor that has the part can chime in too, but I'm suspecting it's only going to be supplied in a Kit which I don't want to buy.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

OK, Idid some home work at the stealership. Apparently they do sell the part: 68004076AA. You have to rub the parts clerk the right way, and I guess they can look it up. $.60 MSPR.

I've been looking at the Overhaul kits from other Gear Vendors and this doesn't appear to be in it. I wonder if anyone is running one after a gear change? I don't see any way of removing the race without damaging it.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just got done putting my front diff back together last night. I did put a new 68004076AA (baffle as the parts manual calls it) in. I gave the dealer the part no. and they had no problem ordering it (next day delivery). My Yukon overhaul kit did not have one in it. I don't know of a good way to get that race out without damaging that baffle. Surely someone makes a special tool to do that. Maybe we could invent a tool. I don't know what the ramifications of not putting it in might be and I did not want to chance it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the input. I removed mine with a big slot screwdriver and a deadblow. It took a few blows but the baffle has straightened out well. I figure most shops are trying ot reuse them or just putting a shim in place. The carrier shims are the same size but donít provide the baffle. I have my order in for a couple of baffles and they will be in tomorrow. The Yukon kit is the one I looked at in the local Jeep shop, my Superior install kit didn't have it and I'd bet the overhaul kit doesn't either, since the local Gear shop (They overhaul anything with gears) couldn't even find it in any Dana manual. Itís probably a Chrysler proprietary part and no other vendor has them. More money for Jeep.

I wonder what new experience the rear will provide? The dealer hasn't touched that one so it should be service full.

Have you broken into your rearend yet?

Quote:

post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Haven't got to the rear yet. As soon as I get the front back in I will start on the rear.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

The only surprise I can think of in the rear is watch the axle bearing race when you pull the shafts. The race fits loose in the housing and will hit the ground running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode