Twisted Seats Vortex XL (non-recliner) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Twisted Seats Vortex XL (non-recliner)

Well I've finally got all the parts this past week Thanks to Outlaw Offroad and I have prepared the jk for the install. I decided to paint the brackets a Rescue Green since they would be exposed to the eye.

Attachment 15476

First off it takes time to remove the stock seats. I tackled the passenger seat first as there is a heck of allot more wiring involved underneath so I wanted to remove knowing it would take the longest.

Attachment 15475

Next I installed the brackets on both sides.

Attachment 15477

Attachment 15474

I bolted them on with the inside track being tight and straight. I then installed the outside bracket with tightening the bracket and then loosening it a full turn so that when I bolted the seat on the track would all pull in.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 04-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

did you add weight to the passenger side to get rid of the sensor issue?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Twisted seat Vortex XL (non recliner) part 2

Next I tackled the driver side. This side was much easier as the bolts had better access. On the inside track you will need to retain the bracket to hold the wiring harness. This did not come with the seats and I need to fabricate one for the passenger seat to hold the seat belt wiring. In this picture you see it installed in the rear.

Attachment 15478

Next I installed the outside bracket.

Attachment 15479

I ended up retaining the original seat belts for the time being so I detached them from the stock seat. The belt needs to be removed from the factory seat in order to remove the seat with a 40torx wrench.

I ended up modifying the bracket by drilling a hole 1/2 thick so the seat belt clip would fasten in the hole. I also went to the store and bought 4 - 19mm bolts 1 1/2" long to fasten them to the hole left in the rear of the twisted seat bracket.

Here is the final product.

Attachment 15481

Attachment 15480

The seats are better than I expected. I've sat in a few aftermarket seats and these are up there in quality and comfort.

Now all I need is twisted to make a black cover to go over my factory seat that matches and all would be good.

Next install will be the harness bar in the basement that is drying from the primer paint.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 04-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

There is no issue for me. I originally had a issue when I drove to the store with the seat half bolted in. I put the new seat in and the light went off once tightened down. I will run out to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Quote:

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 01-09-2010 at 07:36 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Wrangling View Post
There is no issue for me. I originally had a issue when I drove to the store with the seat half bolted in. I put the new seat in and the light went off once tightened down. I will run out to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
my suspension seats were 8-10lbs lighter than the factory one even with my brackets.

So I bolted a big ass 110 converter under the passenger seat it weighed enough and now I also have 110 power

If it goes off just toss weight on the seat till it goes off and then you know how much you need to add.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Will do, I have some weight lifting dumbell weights in the garage for when I'm hanging in there. I will test the needed weight if it goes off again. I bet 8 lbs is about right so maybe I'll install my power inverter in the same spot. I could even run wires to the battery pretty easy from that location. I will need to make some kind of crossbar.

Have a picture of what you did?

Quote:
post #7 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Rock God

What year is your Jeep?

When I put in my seats I had heard that the weight sensors may be an issue but my 08 Rubi does not have them, a friend of mine has an identical 07 Rubi that does have them???

The sensor is in the silver box at the bottom of some of your pics....in this pic you can see mine and no sensors???

post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Wrangling View Post
Will do, I have some weight lifting dumbell weights in the garage for when I'm hanging in there. I will test the needed weight if it goes off again. I bet 8 lbs is about right so maybe I'll install my power inverter in the same spot. I could even run wires to the battery pretty easy from that location. I will need to make some kind of crossbar.

Have a picture of what you did?
I only have the pictures of the original seat install and my homemade brakets to re-locate the seatbelts. What I did was real simple for the inverter, I ran some steel flat plate from one side to the other screwed to the brackets in the same spacing as the inverter mounting holes. And then mounted the inverter upside down on them.
I could have bent the mounting plates like this --\___/--- to mount the inverter normal side up but I was lazy Just make sure to leave enough power line slack to allow the seat to slide forward and back like normal.
My 110 plugs are in the front for easy access and the power lines are in the rear and then protected with boots to keep feet and shit from hitting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_f70 View Post
What year is your Jeep?

When I put in my seats I had heard that the weight sensors may be an issue but my 08 Rubi does not have them, a friend of mine has an identical 07 Rubi that does have them???

The sensor is in the silver box at the bottom of some of your pics....in this pic you can see mine and no sensors???
depends on the seat and systems. some have the sensor IN the seat (I think the ones with side airbags) and some have them under the rails. They are the 4 silver boxes you see here in the very bottom of the picture, they are just simple load cells to tell when you have a kid in the seat or an adult.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Rock God

Mine (08 Rubi) did not have side airbags and did not have sensors under or in the seats, an identical (07 Rubi) no side airbags had the silver sensors your refering to.??
Not sure why I did not have them but I was thinking anything 08 or newer must not have them anymore and it just uses the seat belt being fastend to determine how to deploy the airbag??
post #10 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

That is interesting that you didn't have any sensors. I'd guess you were lucky.

So driving around allot yesterday and the light came on only once which was weird since I was in and out of the jeep at least a 1/2 dozen times. I must not be to far off on the weight so now it's a test of trying to get it to trip and then to start putting 2 lb weights on the seat.

Quote:
post #11 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

My 08 X with no side airbags or anything doesn't have the load sensors.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey N E

Seats took great, got to love the install too 's
post #13 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Wheeler

calibrate?

Sure would be nice if the system could be re calibrated to accept the weight of the aftermarket seat as normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode