Think I'll be OK running long shock with TF extensions?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Think I'll be OK running long shock with TF extensions??

Alright I went and lost my OEM upper rear shock bolts and I didn't realize it until tonight when I went to R&R my shocks with some 5100's (for a 2" lift). I've got the taller Rubi JKU springs, TF 2.5" BB and 2" bump stop blocks.

I've got it in my head that I may be fine leaving the shock extensions since uptravel is going to be limited by the blocks... Right?? Or do I need to pull my head outa my butt and go put the old shocks back on and wait until I get the right bolts???? I need to get this thing mobile tonight as it's my DD.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scottrock; 01-07-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Alright I went and lost my OEM upper rear shock bolts and I didn't realize it until tonight when I went to R&R my shocks with some 5100's (for a 2" lift). I've got the taller Rubi JKU springs, TF 2.5" BB and 2" bump stop blocks. I've got it in my head that I may be fine leaving the shock extensions since uptravel is going to be limited by the blocks... Right?? Or do I need to pull my head outa my butt and go put the old shocks back on and wait until I get the right bolts???? I need to get this thing mobile tonight as it's my DD. Thanks!

I would get the bolts and pull the extensions off if possible, but if you need to get to work being it's your DD, you're rig should be fine running the 5100s, just don't go screwing up the valving by jumping railroad crossings or offroading.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post

I would get the bolts and pull the extensions off if possible, but if you need to get to work being it's your DD, you're rig should be fine running the 5100s, just don't go screwing up the valving by jumping railroad crossings or offroading.
Sound advice

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I'll swing by and pick up some bolts. Anyone know the thread pitch? If I can't find the right thread I guess I'll be cutting the nuts off the frame rail and just use a nut & bolt.

Quote:
post #5 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

what you need to know...

what is the compressed length of the shock?

what is the measurement between the shock mounting points with the suspension fully compressed?

i did this with my JK... and i run 12" travel (supposedly) shocks with a 2" b/b. i have only about 3/4" of wiggle room.. but until my rig gets some other mods down the road like real coils, longer bumps and such, then its fine. i haven't bottomed my suspension out yet, and the remote res. shocks i have (edelbrock) handle pretty decently.

the measurements would seriously be the insurance you need to feel good about running them or the decision maker in not running them.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well my primary concern was whether or not to run them on the road today. They look to have plenty of room for on road driving as they sit now. Off road I would not want to take the risk. This is simply a stop-gap. I've got one week til Winterfest so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Still looking for the bolt specs if anyone knows what they are.

Quote:
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Well my primary concern was whether or not to run them on the road today. They look to have plenty of room for on road driving as they sit now. Off road I would not want to take the risk. This is simply a stop-gap. I've got one week til Winterfest so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Still looking for the bolt specs if anyone knows what they are.
Hey Scott, you might check your local Home Depot, Lowe's or a local fastener store if you have one, here's what you need.

(4) BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M10x1.50x25.00

Good sticky info if anyone knows where to submit it.
http://octane.trademotion.com/sfimag...net%2008JK.pdf

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 01-08-2010 at 06:49 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Hey Scott, you might check your local Home Depot, Lowe's or a local fastener store if you have one, here's what you need.

(4) BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M10x1.50x25.00

Good sticky info if anyone knows where to submit it.
http://octane.trademotion.com/sfimag...net%2008JK.pdf

You da man!

Quote:
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the tip Sas! Very much what I figured, just didn't want to blow a $90 shock driving to work. I looked around and those are some hard bolts to find. The only fastener place around wanted to sell a minimum of $25 per order and that wasn't even for the correct flange head, just standard hex head.

So I used the pdf link you posted and dug up the correct part #, called and ordered 4 new bolts from the local dealership for $1.70 ea. Dropped the order on Friday, picked em up Saturday AM. The biggest bitch I had was that I was forced to physically go down to the parts counter, order and pay for the bolts then go back the next day to pick em up. Only other way they would have ordered $7 in bolts would require I fax a COPY OF MY DL AND CC! Something about not being able to record credit card numbers due to new bureaucratic bullshit. Fawk that. So I made two trips. Screw it I don't pay for fuel anyhow.

FWIW, my front shocks were toast with 50k on em. Freely moved in and out at least an inch at full extension. The rears were still holding but I tossed em anyway.

Quote:
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Scott, glad you got your rig fixed up. Around here it's not too bad for inexpensive parts, they will order first generally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode