Coil Overs. Are they worth it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Coil Overs. Are they worth it?

im starting to see alot of people running the coil overs.. and i see the price is up there.. and im wondering if it really worth it to run them?

i keep my "mudding" on a very low.. im more into rock crawling.. so i was wondering what the pro and cons are to this.. betteer handling or worse? and do they only come in blue? cause i think thats ugly

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Only worth it if the style of Jeeping you do benefits from them.

Since you are into rock crawling:
Pro: Everything
Con: Price

They come in blue if you pay to have them powder coated or you order Kings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #3 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

so tell me the "style"..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Rock God

I've never been mudding but I grew up Jeeping on dirt trails in SoCal and over the last 10 years rocks. I couldn't imagine doing what we do now with coil springs and shocks. The massive gains in articulation, ride comfort, vehicle support, and overall stability coilovers provide is staggering. I'm running coilovers in the front of my X and RE 4.5" springs in the rear and WISH WISH WISH I had the money to finish off my rear end. The fact that the spring rate of my front can be customized to meet my needs regarding desired ride quality, vehicle weight changes, and even ride height all add to the versatility of my Jeep.

ALL FUN!
post #5 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

ok.. sounds good.. im running a TF 6" LA so im guessing i could benfit very well from coil overs..

i see for the rear u need to cut into ur body and they sit up in ur jeep.. kind of different for me.. means no one can ride in the back.

post #6 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
i see for the rear u need to cut into ur body and they sit up in ur jeep.. kind of different for me.. means no one can ride in the back.
Negative. You don't have to do that. You are looking at Outlaw Offroad's Xtreme kit - they also have a bolt on kit that is VERY stout and functional. That kit sits under your rear tub and requires no body mods.

ALL FUN!
post #7 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
ok.. sounds good.. im running a TF 6" LA so im guessing i could benfit very well from coil overs..

Hey Bigen

I have the Teraflex 6" with coil overs front and rears, do yourself the favor and get the COMPLETE set, for I had the fronts first then added the rear extreme Alpha one, no comparison, you will wish you did it along time ago, trust me.

LS1 and I hit some whoops @ 40mph and all I can say is WOW these are day n nite compared to coil springs...
post #8 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
LS1 and I hit some whoops @ 40mph and all I can say is WOW these are day n nite compared to coil springs...
Sold me on the kit, now I just need to be able to afford the rear.

ALL FUN!
post #9 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

should i wait till i get my 60's or does it not matter?

post #10 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
should i wait till i get my 60's or does it not matter?
I had the same worry. After uber research and asking people I trust - it does not matter. I'm running King's on my front D30 and have never had a problem other than the D30 knuckle's bending under the weight of my Jeep and the 35's.

I'm going to get 60's eventually but for now I'm happy I bought the coils because I can enjoy my Jeep much more till then.

ALL FUN!
post #11 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

thanks for the info..

i guess the coilovers got moved up past the 60's and my 40's.

got a website?

post #12 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
thanks for the info..

i guess the coilovers got moved up past the 60's and my 40's.

got a website?
For?

Here's the deal. I'm not "pimping" but I do think you should call Bond @ OutlawOffroad. Their front coil over kit is completely bolt on meaning you can install the coils now - change your front end out 100 million times, and still keep the same coil over kit.

www.outlawoffroad.com

ALL FUN!
post #13 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

thanks...

so what is the differnce with the ORE king shocks with the outlaw kingshocks shocks? or is that just a name thing so they will buy there product..

post #14 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
thanks...

so what is the differnce with the ORE king shocks with the outlaw kingshocks shocks? or is that just a name thing so they will buy there product..
Each should be valved by the vendor to meet your specific needs, Jeeping style, and weight.

ORE and Outlaw both will order your Kings the right way to meet the above criteria, other than that I can't imagine them being modified beyond that.

I looked at both the ORE kit and the Outlaw kit before I even bought my Jeep and I liked the Outlaw kit more. It's easy enough to install that I did it myself and requires no welding so if you've never welded you aren't up shit creek doing it yourself or having to pay a shop to do it.

ALL FUN!
post #15 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
Each should be valved by the vendor to meet your specific needs, Jeeping style, and weight.

ORE and Outlaw both will order your Kings the right way to meet the above criteria, other than that I can't imagine them being modified beyond that.

I looked at both the ORE kit and the Outlaw kit before I even bought my Jeep and I liked the Outlaw kit more. It's easy enough to install that I did it myself and requires no welding so if you've never welded you aren't up shit creek doing it yourself or having to pay a shop to do it.
BUT on the Extreme rear set up this is not a bolt on install
post #16 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
BUT on the Extreme rear set up this is not a bolt on install
Right. The Xtreme kit you are LUCKY enough to have requires a shop to install or the right tools in your garage.

ALL FUN!
post #17 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

yea im set if i get the rear.. have a friend that welds and has like every tool and a lift in his shop..

post #18 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I've never been mudding but I grew up Jeeping on dirt trails in SoCal and over the last 10 years rocks. I couldn't imagine doing what we do now with coil springs and shocks. The massive gains in articulation, ride comfort, vehicle support, and overall stability coilovers provide is staggering. I'm running coilovers in the front of my X and RE 4.5" springs in the rear and WISH WISH WISH I had the money to finish off my rear end. The fact that the spring rate of my front can be customized to meet my needs regarding desired ride quality, vehicle weight changes, and even ride height all add to the versatility of my Jeep.
your not serious are you

just because you have coilovers doesnt mean you can drive the rig

i can imagine there are very few things you do that springs and shocks couldnt do and havent done

www.jeepasylum.com
post #19 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im not sure coilovers would have helped you in this situation

Just make sure when you go with your coilovers you instantly go out wheeling without bumpstops
Attached Images

www.jeepasylum.com
post #20 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

www.jeepasylum.com
post #21 of 30 Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Rock God

Didn't have coil overs in those pix

ALL FUN!
post #22 of 30 Old 01-06-2010, 04:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Didn't have coil overs in those pix
My point you said coilovers are a cure all for rock crawling, how would they have helped you there

I strongly dissagree with you saying that coilovers are the best setup out there

you can buy a rig or pay to have it built but you cant buy common sense for the driver

so the vehicle no matter how built is limited by the drivers own ignorance.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #23 of 30 Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Rock God

The benifit of coil overs is that you get a quality shock that is tunable and you can easily tune the spring rate and the ride height. But, you can also buy good tuned bolt on JK springs in different heights and good tuned bolt on JK shocks or buy the Fox ones that you can revalve. I dont see much benifit in putting coil overs on a JK when you can buy good lift springs and shocks at half the price of coil overs not including all the work and cost to mount them.
Coil overs are great when your building a buggy or race car or converting something from leafs because they are easily mounted and tuned.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #24 of 30 Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
C L A S S I C - this is kind of like the dumb kid from Christmas Story who sticks his tongue against the steel pole... moron.

Quote:
My point you said coilovers are a cure all for rock crawling, how would they have helped you there

I strongly dissagree with you saying that coilovers are the best setup out there

you can buy a rig or pay to have it built but you cant buy common sense for the driver

so the vehicle no matter how built is limited by the drivers own ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
The benifit of coil overs is that you get a quality shock that is tunable and you can easily tune the spring rate and the ride height. But, you can also buy good tuned bolt on JK springs in different heights and good tuned bolt on JK shocks or buy the Fox ones that you can revalve. I dont see much benifit in putting coil overs on a JK when you can buy good lift springs and shocks at half the price of coil overs not including all the work and cost to mount them.
Coil overs are great when your building a buggy or race car or converting something from leafs because they are easily mounted and tuned.
DING! DING! DING!

Winner, winner Chicken Dinner!

Well said gentlemen. But, alas it falls on deaf ears.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
"He pulled a LS1!"

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode