Okay guys, my rig build-up has gone well so far... However I must turn to you all for some much-needed advice, as I do not wish to "recreate the wheel", rather to benefit from your experiences...
While this is my daily driver, it's come to the point where I want/need to prepare it for some serious trails and outings (Sierra Trek or Rubicon), as I live in NorCal.
My understanding, is now that I have addressed the mods below, my next challenge/obstacle/weak point is going to be the front & rear ends, lack of lockers, and tall gears.
I have wanted to change gears for a while, but have been a little leary because I don't want to spend all of the money, only to find that I need lockers too, then only to find that all of the money I invested into my Dana 30 (front) & 44 (rear), was wasted, because I blew them up (axles, etc.)
SO... My three questions for you guys are:
1) Running an automatic, with a 35-inch tire (although I have considered going to a 37-inch tire) , what gear should I go with to keep driveability and reasonable revs on the highway, yet maximize my "crawl."
2) Since I have an Unlimited "X", there are no lockers, and I am assuming that I have the piddly Dana 30 up front. So, what lockers do you recommend?
3) Considering what I have built so far, and that I do not want to dump money only to have to rebuild immediately, is there a different approach that you guys have had luck with on your "Xs", by swapping out entire front/rear assemblies, with lockers, etc. into your Jeeps?
Sorry for the length of the post, but I could really use some serious advice!
Thanks -- Rick
2008 JK Unlimited "X" (Black)
- AirAid CAI Intake
- aFe Throttle Body Spacer
- aFe Cat-Back Exhaust
- Superchips Flashpaq
- BDS Suspension 4.5" Short Arm Lift
- 35" x 12.50" x 17" Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrains
- Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
- Hanson Off-Road Full Front Bumper
- Smittybilt XRC-10 Winch (Synthetic Rope)
- PIAA 540 Driving Lights (Windshield Mounted)
- Mopar Rockrails