Fresh Air Intake Snorkel - DIY? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Fresh Air Intake Snorkel - DIY?

I've been looking at all the snorkels and home made ones as well.

I think bodyguy's snorkel is pretty bada$$. Maybe this is a dumb question, but will this really help that much? Seems like its not more than 6" higher than your stock air box and if you hit some water with any speed a wave could come right up over your hood and into your intake. Granted, its further from the nose of the jeep which helps...

Besides the high cost, I don't like much about the aftermarket options that are available. They are all kinda awkward looking. The AEV travels so far down your hood. I like the river raider entry point, but you have to move the stinkin battery!

To complicate things, I have a Gobi Rack. I've read some of the snorkels work the rack, but that's a lot of stuff running up the windshield.

Has anybody done a bodyguy H1 style snorkel install without swapping the location of the battery and airbox? I want to get a dual battery setup at some point as well. Dang, so much thinking to get it all to work together....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the compliment. I plan on making a tube that will slip over and clamp down to raise the intake but I just haven't got around to it. I have a drain in the box that will hopefully allow any water to drain out and it is not suppose to suck up any water. The way I have the filter situated should keep the incoming air dry unless the box fills up completely.

|
|
post #3 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

that is the ONLY snork I would ever consider

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Granite Guru

I did one. I left the battery in factory location. Intake pipe fits above it. Check this thread...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16606

I will get some underhood pics.

more wagging, less barking
post #5 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I plan on making a tube that will slip over and clamp down to raise the intake but I just haven't got around to it. I have a drain in the box that will hopefully allow any water to drain out and it is not suppose to suck up any water. The way I have the filter situated should keep the incoming air dry unless the box fills up completely.
ok, I see how it works. Nice thinking. So, do you think you could have built the same setup without switching the battery and airbox locations?

post #6 of 14 Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwood View Post
I did one. I left the battery in factory location. Intake pipe fits above it. Check this thread...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16606

I will get some underhood pics.
thanks goodwood, some pics of you built your airbox would be much appreciated! Any way to use the stock airbox?

post #7 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
thanks goodwood, some pics of you built your airbox would be much appreciated! Any way to use the stock airbox?
Yes, I used the stock airbox, similar to what almighty crash did with his set-up. Mine is a combo of bodyguy's out the top(H1) style and crash's underhood stock airbox configuration.

I will get some pics...at work now.

more wagging, less barking
post #8 of 14 Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

How about those pics!? Thanks Goodwood.

post #9 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

What do you guys think of taking bodyguy's snorkel system and extending the tube up the windshield frame to mount the intake even higher? I like the clean look of where the tube comes out of the top of the hood rather than way down the side of the jeep or hood.

Might look something like this:

post #10 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

here is a better version. photochopped.

What do you think?

post #11 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I think you have a right hand drive Jeep with the stickers on backwords. But I think if you could make it look as clean as the photoshop you may have a winner.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #12 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
I think you have a right hand drive Jeep with the stickers on backwords. But I think if you could make it look as clean as the photoshop you may have a winner.
I think this would be the perfect setup combined with bodyguys's inner workings. I'm thinking of using exhaust tubing and getting it bent at a custom exhaust shop to match the countour of the jeep. Seems like a lot better than using pvc plumbing pipe like others have done. Plumbing pipe won't be coming anywhere near my jeep.

The only hesitation I have is once you cut that hole in your hood there is no turning back. scary! I'm used to bolt on mods that are reversible.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
here is a better version. photochopped.

What do you think?
First I have to say I like the look of your JK!

That Gobi rack is the best looking roof rack by far!

I like your idea about the metal tubing but it would nee to be 3.5 to 4 in. tubing I would think....one question to think about is do you ever plan on putting a hemi or a supercharger in? I ask this question only because having the placement there will make it very difficult for anything other then the hesco supercharger.

Second point I would like to bring up and this is not that I do not like the snorkel idea I really do but placing the snorkel where you are looking is one of the most perm. places. as you either have to replace the hood completely and or that metal piece that is right there next to the hinge of the hood. I have already had to replace that piece and it was a huge headache especially to blend the paint to perfectly match after replacing it.

I agree with your comments about the AEV but honestly it has grown on me so I am cutting my hood for it this weekend but I am cutting bothsides of the hood and making grill type inserts until I get the snorkel or if I change my mind and speand the cash for the river raider I will just have a cool one of a kind type hood.

one thing about the river raider snorkel is that you could always relocate your double battery goal to the small little trunk space in he back of the JK which I would do if I went dual battery with the RR snork. but I am also enlarging mine this weekend to have the space and then some.

to whatever you choose and for a goodlooking JK

post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Rock God

Can't wait to see how you do this...this is exactly what I want to do I just don't have a shop to play around with this idea yet...still too flippin cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode