Receiver hitch winch mounts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question Receiver hitch winch mounts

So I'm trying to decide on a good bumper and winch combo and got to thinking about putting a 2" receiver hitch in the front bumper. Then I can take the winch off when I'm not wheeling and save some weight. Plus it could be used as either a front or rear winch depending on whats needed. I'd probably put a mount for it in the cargo area to secure it when wheeling and increase the front and rear clearance.

Anybody have any experience with a mount like this? Any other pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll be honest with ya, I thought of this on my Ranger that I had before the Jeep. I had custom tube bumpers made with 2" hitch receivers front & rear, but never went about putting the winch setup together. Instead, I just got two of these...

... and used them with a strap.

Worked for me and I didn't need to run wires to the front/back for the winch.

I think if I was gonna do it now, I'd figure out a way to mount a small winch in the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 12-30-2009 at 06:51 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I've been researching this for our WJ.... just need front and rear hitches first. Seems like decent idea... I know MrSig does that with his JK.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Rock God

I've got a mobile winch and the front bumper is the Olympic Rock Bumper, which has a 2" receiver and the cutouts for the stock Rubi fog lights

The rear has the same (tow Pkg) and my off-road trailer has a 2" receiver on the rear fender-I gotit covered !!

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #5 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I've got a mobile winch and the front bumper is the Olympic Rock Bumper, which has a 2" receiver and the cutouts for the stock Rubi fog lights

The rear has the same (tow Pkg) and my off-road trailer has a 2" receiver on the rear fender-I gotit covered !!

JIMBO
Any problems winching like that? I was concerned that if I'm running the winch line at an angle, it would put too much stress on the receiver. Seems like it would work fine in a straight line though.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Rock God

Don't know, I haven't done any recovery, just moved trailer and logs

Yea with a system like that, you have to get a STRAIGHT pull, either use a snatch block or park straight on !!

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #7 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Rock God

This is what I did??

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Here is my problem with that set up class 3 hitched are rated for 6000lbs straight pull. Minimum size winch most people will get is a 8000lbs and then double line pull on their rig. Which in extreme case you are creating almost 3x times the rated load for a hitch. If I was to do front and rear winch setup I would try and find a rear bumper like the jeeperman rest winch bumper. Yes I know they have been closed for some time now.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Rock God

I have a winch for my truck mounted on a receiver mount and honestly hate it.

For 4 wheeling it sticks out too far off the bumper front or rear. Which means you need to find a way to SAFELY secure it inside the Jeep. Which is more cost and takes up room, lots of room.

I carried it on a couple of trips before getting a winch bumper for the Jeep. You need the extension like pictured above to clear the spare tire on the back. I would not trust that on a side pull. Simply too long of a lever arm.

I have found in the past that I used my winch a lot when I was least expecting it. Mild trails, car stuck in the snow on the way home from the office, etc. Just much easier to have it with you all the time.

Not to mention the thing is not light. Trying to lug it around on a rocky, muddy trail and get it in a receiver that may be blocked by mud and rocks can be a real downer.

post #10 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Gotta add a little toit

Although I have the front bumper/with receiver, it has other uses besides the mobile winch, ie:

Moving trailer/adding carriers/recovery point/mtg light plow

mrsig's is pretty heavy and would be a storage problem

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #11 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Anybody have any experience with a mount like this? Any other pros and cons?
I ran a Warn XD9000i in a Warn cradle on a previous vehicle for a while. It is useful to be able to use it front and rear, although I think I only ever used it once at the rear and that was to pull the vehicle sideways. It is useful to be able to remove it, but it gets old doing so pretty fast.

If you keep it in the trunk, odds are the times you wish it was on the front it is usually not the best time to to be moving it there. When it's on the front and gets in the way, again it's usually at a time when you don't want to be messing with it.

In theory it sounded like a good idea at the time, in practice it was more of a pain than just having a fixed winch at the front.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Two people can move it very easy! It is strapped in like you see in the photo and dose not move at all. I have my cooler on the seat folded down behind me and still have a ton more room in the back. I even have my compressor back there. I have used it a ton of times off road. Many trips I don't even need it and is goes clean back in to the house.

Other time it works it but off!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Two people can move it very easy!
What if it's just you?

post #14 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
What if it's just you?
Moving one by yourself is no big deal, I used to do it all the time. That said, when you have to move it over some gnarly rocks or whatever it's a whole different ball game, and even with two people it can be difficult.

The bigger problems come when you have a wheel in the air, the vehicle feels like it's about to tip over, and you are stuck. Getting the winch from the trunk to the front can be difficult, if not near impossible.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've thought about that but have decided a permanent frnt mount is the way to go. a front receiver under the winch bumper is a good idea as well for other uses

Check out the warn portable winch, it's either electric or gas powered and pulls 3000lbs. could be used in the rear for most pulls.

if you actually wheel alone that often and get hoplessly stuck just put a whinch on the back as well.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #16 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

There's a lot of good points here. I didn't even think of the extension that would be needed for the rear hitch. That kind of sold me on a solid front mount winch. The points about it being a real pain in the a** to get to are also really valid. Combine all that with the fact I rarely get a straight pull...

Thanks for all the great advice. That's what makes this forum great.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Here is a thought for you. Imagine being at this angle and having to go get the winch out of the back and stick it in the front?!!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode