New Banks Monster Exhaust (Cat-back) for JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

New Banks Monster Exhaust (Cat-back) for JK

We got a new Banks Monster Exhaust cat-back system for Christmas for our 2009 Rubicon 4dr, and I installed it over the weekend. Coincidentally, I also received a small video camcorder, so I made this short video of a "before" and "after" of both inside sound and outside sound that I thought a few of you might like to see:

YouTube - Banks Monster Exhaust - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr

I was a little disappointed that the sound was so quiet both inside and out, and sounded nothing like the video that Banks posted to youtube:

YouTube - Banks exhaust: Jeep 3.8L

It provided for no noticeable changes in power of torque, although I didn't really expect any.

Thespazardman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespazardman View Post
It provided for no noticeable changes in power of torque, although I didn't really expect any.

so whats the point then???

i mean its a pretty expensive upgrade that does absolutely nothing isnt it??
post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for your report. After reading the first part, I was thinking you were a Banks rep trying to sneak an infomercial in on us. I'm glad I read the second part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

LOL...I installed a Gibson DUal exhaust muffler on my JK...it makes lots of noise...my wife won't ride in it...the people at work think I'm a dork...and at 2000rpms, it resonates in just such a way that you start to lose consciousness and you feel like your head might explode. I don't expect it did much for my departure angle either. Did I mention that it's off-center by an inch and a half?

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, honorably discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Granite Guru

Man yours doesnt sound anything like that one in the banks video
whats that about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I put this MagnaFlo on just in front of the rear axle http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14416/ . It isn't that loud and doesn't have bad resonance issues, rear clearance is better, and I only spent $60.00 when it was on sale.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post
so whats the point then???

i mean its a pretty expensive upgrade that does absolutely nothing isnt it??
What's the point? Fantastic question. This is my wife's Jeep, and she wanted a similar sound (like they showed on their youtube video). When I ordered this kit directly from Banks, I was told that the Wrangler in their video only had their cat-back system, and was otherwise stock. Obviously, she and I are a bit disappointed with the sound, but I have a call in to Banks to see what can be done.

I didn't expect much in power/torque gains until a new intake/filter and power chip are installed, later.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Wheeler

Mufflers do go thru a break in period. Give it a couple of weeks and see if it sounds better. It most likely won't get much louder but it'll sound different in a week or better.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Input from Banks...

I heard back from the Banks Salesman, Mitch (x4115) who said that after a couple of "months" of use, the sound was likely to change. I expressed my concern about waiting so long before coming to some conclusion on the sound difference, and he (somewhat reluctantly) told me to call back after a couple months if the sound didn't improve. I'm not excited about what my reception will be if I have to call back in 8 weeks and say I don't think the sound is right. Normally, I'd imagine they'd tell me to go to heck after that long...

I still have a couple emails in to another guy at Banks (Jeff C). He's the manager of the technical support group, and I hope he has some input, soon. He's actually going to listen to my video and the Banks video and get back to me on what exactly was installed on the Banks JK.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

I like the sound of mine UNTIL I can afford a Hemi!! Of course, I have 9,000miles on the JK (secondhand), but I assume most of those miles were with the Banks (I bought at about 7,000 miles).

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

the jeep in the video must have had a lot of work done to it if it was chirping into second. and most likely had headers as well.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcc687 View Post
the jeep in the video must have had a lot of work done to it if it was chirping into second. and most likely had headers as well.
x2 - even if you POP the clutch out on the 1-2 shift, it's pretty unlikely to get you more than a rough ride, I've never been able to chirp into 2nd even before the heavy bumpers and 37" tires... That jeep had intake/headers and a chip at the very least in my uneducated opinion... all those things significantly affect exhaust note...

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Not a big fan of that tailpipe exit on a Jeep.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode