Homemade Trunk Ideas - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Exclamation Homemade Trunk Ideas

I'm really digging the "homemade trunk idea", but i'd like to see more posts and pics. I know they are out there... Post em up!

So, far this is what I've seen.

I LIKE HOW THIS ONE SITS ON THE RAILS.

Link to the PROJECT-JK thread with these pics below

These don't sit on the rail, but its another idea

page 9 of the thread

This dude went on to add some subwoofers...

pics of a 2 door

Last edited by Grant211; 02-13-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added some more pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Old thread and surprisingly no replies?

Well, since I never got the duster cover, but got the bikini top. I need to jump on this and do it right or just say "forgettta about it...and go get the duster cover"

Any suggestions on type of wood?

I went to Home Depot and after i left, i was more confused. and left there with more ideas.

I don't want to spend over a $100. What about getting plastic? If i do wood I'll add a watersealer and paint it black and/or put bedliner on it. I don't want carpet on top of it and obviously don't want it to warp. My one buddy suggest starboard or diamond plate, but that will probably put me over $100.

Any ideas/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Grant211; 02-13-2010 at 07:26 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

interesting, im looking at something similar in my SAR JK. Im thinking a built up bracket that holds a rescue litter above a sliding storage unit... ill post some picts when i figure it out.

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Wheeler

Mine is in the first pic,it was made out of (wafer) pressed board .The next one will be made of marine grade plywood which is @ $50 a 4x8 sheet and add marine(boat) carpet so wont have to worry about the weather.That one will be right @$100 .

2008 Unlimited X,38x15.5 x18 Mud Grapplers, 6sd,4.88's,4"Rough Country ,Quick disco,Cut fenders
On and On and On,
Is it really ever done?
post #5 of 19 Old 02-13-2010, 03:12 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Here's what I did for a secure trunk. I've had 300lbs of softener salt bags on top with no deflection. Also have two of the vision x led pods installed on the bottom side which makes it nice for getting tools or recovery equip out at night. The plywood on top is 3/4" birch resting on 1 1/2" angle iron that is bolted to the rollbars. I'm planning to get the entire trunk part Rinolined this spring. Just putting it out there for ideas.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 02-14-2010 at 11:34 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hmm you think i could buy some ply wood and make it so where it goes on the frame rails but has a hinge to lift up on. not really for a trunk but something to cover the rear area from mud and stuff.then i could add some kind of basket

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 19 Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

bumping the thread as there seems to be some interest in this mod lately
post #8 of 19 Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Ive been pondering this too....
post #9 of 19 Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Rock God

I went on the cheap.

Found one of these at Walmart...
http://www.amazon.com/Terence-Thomps.../dp/B000I5FF4S

It fits perfectly in the back of my 4-door. I fill it full of my tools and recovery equipment. Bicycle cable locks it to the floor. Padlock on it for when I have the top off, keeps all my junk (somewhat) safe.
And I can easily take it out when I need that space back.

Still would like to build a custom box for the back, but a good short-term lazy man's solution for now.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Renzo Fighter

This wont work if u have a soft top tho.

Click on this and fight!!
post #11 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

homemade trunk cover

i used

3 2x2x8s for the frame
1 sheet of plywood
1 hinge (not sure what type but i picked it up from lowes)

It fits with my soft top on no problem.
I will be changing it from the plywood to somthing better but for a first try 9 bucks was better than 30.

After it was done i painted it with bed liner and it looks ok. I had a fully loaded tool box and air compressor on it and it held with no problems, seems pretty strong. Might plan on putting marine grade carpet at a latter time.

All in all it was around $60 bucks.
Attached Images

post #12 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Rock God

^very nice budget job.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Rock God

Just a quick idea to make these boxes water proof. I make strip built wood canoes and kayaks. After the wood work is done I cover them inside and out with epoxy impregnated fiberglass mat. Just get some West Marine epoxy, thin it and roll a coat, let it dry. Drape the top of your box with fiberglass mat and brush on epoxy to wet it out. Work out your bubbles, and let it dry. Then roll on another coat to fill the mat. Might add about $60 bucks to your cost, but it will be tough as nails and water proof. If you are not going to paint it 'cause you like the wood look, just brush on a coat of varnish to keep the epoxy from weathering.

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #14 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Seeing as we are discussing this, I'm thinking about making a drawer system for mine. I always have my large dog with me so want him to be able to still utilize the space back there, but also want some secure storage for various stuff.

I'm thinking about making a 4 or 6 inch high drawer system with two drawers. I figure it'll be large enough that I could still get my tools, and some various spares and such in the shallow drawers.

Anyone done anything like this?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #15 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

I went with basically a metal shelf. It's not supposed to be waterproof and all I keep under it are some spare parts and there is enough room for my Bestop soft doors.

I welded some tabs on my cage and it bolts to those at the front. It comes out with about 5 mins of effort.

Name:  IMG_0340.JPG
Views: 29031
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0341.JPG
Views: 9938
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0345.JPG
Views: 10619
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0349.JPG
Views: 10447
Size:  56.2 KB

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #16 of 19 Old 01-15-2012, 03:18 PM
JKO Addict!

I'll weld some footman loops on the top to secure my cooler etc. in the spring.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #17 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Wheeler

How much weight would that add?
post #18 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I know I'm bringing up an old subject, but I dont care.... I'd like to see what homemade trunk lids people have out there...

Show 'em off! Let's see 'em

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #19 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinge86 View Post
I know I'm bringing up an old subject, but I dont care.... I'd like to see what homemade trunk lids people have out there...

Show 'em off! Let's see 'em
I'm flattered. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode