Poor man lift options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Poor man lift options

Before I start pm'ing Poly Performance, Rock Krawler, and Teraflex, i could use some opinions/info on a solid, upgradable poor man lift. I've been looking at the $500-$700 range coil spring lifts in the 3" range without control arms for now. I'm wondering how the change in geometry will affect my on/off road driving since I will be keeping the stock arms and this jeep takes me everywhere.

Also, I will need to swap out my Rubicon shocks. How do the above company's basic $100 (each) shocks compare with stock rubi shocks? I assume they are better, but I have no idea.

Any input is appreciated (vendors included).

Birthday's comin' on the 10th, gotta decide quick and be on my best behavior with the wife

Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm Flex
Poly Performance JK Synergy Shocks
Black Rock 17x8 w/ Goodyear MTR w/Kevlars
Poly Performance SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

TF 2.5 coils you can fit 35's and upgrade with other parts as you go.
I sent a PM of my particular lift. Nevermind I just decided to post my current lift. I still like the TF lift as well. I have used their products and you will be happy either way!!

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-28-2009 at 08:57 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

agreed. That was/is my first intro JK lift. TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks. $600ish. I went with a front adjustable trac bac but it isn't needed. It has been a great kit and I roll 35s

Also in that range I would consider Rustys 3.25

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is the kit I installed on my Jeep. You don't need the body lift. I did this so I could run my 35's on the street only without new coils. It was also part of my plan to go 37's later. I will get lower control arms later. It's okay for now but will have better steering feel with the arms.

Rusty's 3.25" Basic lift. It came with adjustable track bars frt & rear, shocks, discos, coils. $550. Seemed a little too good to be true, but I think they will work just fine. I will need to get upper front control arms later but it is fine for now. I will also get a front drive shaft later. I have a backup in the shop just in case I need one before I get around to it on the mod list. The directions were really useless so you need some experience or a good helper to get everything installed. I started around 7pm yesterday and finished around 1:30 am this morning. I was by myself except for a fellow Jeeper stopped by to get me started and lend some tools. The spring compressor was essential. If you don't have one you can loan one out a Autozone. They make you put down a deposit and then credit it when you return the tool.

I got 4" on the front and about 3.5" in the rear. I think it looks fine and should give me good clearance with the 35's and the 1.25 BL. I got the track bar adjusted today, rotated the tires, and reset the steering wheel. The front end needs an alignment so I will likely do the driveway set to get it close.

I have also named the Jeep- "Copperhead" Although Jeep calls it orange, I think it looks more like a great copper color and is now a beast!

Lift

Started -tiny tires just killed me

Next - Just the 1.25" BL ...street only

After- Now it is offically - Copperhead

This is the height of the Jeep at the seam of the Freedom panel on the front drivers door. Measures 77" tall at the roofline.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-28-2009 at 08:54 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post

This is the height of the Jeep at the seam of the Freedom panel on the front drivers door. Measures 77" tall at the roofline.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but more pics should be done this way. I have the 2.5 BB with 1 inch MORE Body Lift and running "so-called" 34's not 35's.

post #6 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Granite Guru

I am runing a lift I put together on a budget and it does fine on and off road. Rustys 3.25 coils. $110 a pair. JKS adjustable trackbars. Rough Country 2.2 shocks. And Teraflex lower adjustable control arms.

Rescue Green 08 4 door
Rusty's 3.25 coils
JKS rear adjustable track bar
JKS front adjustable track bar
Teraflex adjustable lower control arms
Teraflex steering stablizer
Rough Country 2.2 shocks
Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers
BFG 315/70/17 All terrian's
MBRP light bar
KC slim driving lights
Rugged Ridge tail light guards
Rugged Ridge fuel door cover
Rugged Ridge wheels
Smittybuilt XRC 8 winch
Smittybuilt XRC front bumper
Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/Tire carrier
post #7 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I started with the teraflex 2.5 coil lift, I installed front and rear jks adjustable trackbars at the same time. lift was nice but I did not like the dartiness in the steering due to the geometry change. for some reason when it settled there was a 1 and 5/8s lean that I tried figuring out for a while with joe at tereflex until the decision was made to swap out the coils for new ones and I decided to upgrade to 3" coils due to added bumpers and so on. I should have started at 3" it looks soo much better. I also added currie adjustable front lowers and it mad a world of difference. rockcrawler had came out with their 3.5 kit while I was going through all of that and wished that I had went that route at the time but have read some post where the joints/bushings seized up. so damned if you do damned if you don't type of deal. my lift now is fine and dandy but in the future I will probably upgrade to the 4.5 aev premium kit.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Rock God

JK 3.5 ENTRY LEVEL SYSTEM

I would take a look at Rock Krawler JK 3.5 ENTRY LEVEL SYSTEM. The Rock Krawler Wrangler JK 3.5Ē Entry Level System is the perfect starting point to get a little lift at a great value. It is easily upgraded to any other Rock Krawler kit. I say do it right the first time. I have had more then one lift, I started with a cheaper kit and that is what I got a cheap kit. Buy a GOOD LIFT and upgrade it as the funds are available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

yup if that kit would have been out I would have went that route.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Rock God

I have the TF 3" and love it... But with the shocks it seems a little over your range. I would get the rockrawler kit and save up for blisteins.TF shocks are great but I want to upgrade them. I would strongly suggest the adj. Trackbar. I didn't get it at first and it moved my axle about 5"!!! With the rockrawler kit you'll also need brakelines.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #11 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
I have the TF 3" and love it... But with the shocks it seems a little over your range. I would get the rockrawler kit and save up for blisteins.TF shocks are great but I want to upgrade them. I would strongly suggest the adj. Trackbar. I didn't get it at first and it moved my axle about 5"!!! With the rockrawler kit you'll also need brakelines.
Good to know about the brakelines. Is that a rule for lifts over 2.5"?

I may only buy the kit for now and buy shocks later if it gets pricey. What is it about the TF shocks that makes you want to upgrade? I don't think I need fox shocks with reservoirs (YET ), but I would like to get a good 4-5 years out of them.

I've been looking closely at the Rockrawler 3.5 basic, the Teraflex 3" coil, and I saw in another thread where Pig said Poly Performance may be able to put something together for around $700. I've been looking closest at these companies after gaining an opinion of their customer service and quality on this forum over the last year or so.

Poly Performance SS
post #12 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
TF 2.5 coils you can fit 35's and upgrade with other parts as you go.
I sent a PM of my particular lift. Nevermind I just decided to post my current lift. I still like the TF lift as well. I have used their products and you will be happy either way!!
Your lift looks great and thanks for the info. I study these things for a long time before pulling the trigger and I don't know much about the Rusty's, but I will definitely look into it.

Poly Performance SS
post #13 of 17 Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
You have a sick video in your sig. Does that jeep have a 3" TF lift?

Poly Performance SS
post #14 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCJK View Post
You have a sick video in your sig. Does that jeep have a 3" TF lift?
Yes sir, that's the 3" TF. It sits much higher than 3" and now that I don't own my a top or doors, got a very light stubby front bumper, it sits at about 5" ! I put 37's on and didn't need to trim the fenders... But I still trimmed them Just in case. As for the TF shocks, they are fine... Better than stock. Once you start adding lifts and stuff you want to keep upgrading... And I drove a jk with blisteins and they are much better! If you can't afford super great shocks... TF shocks should last you a few years, I just figure do it once and be done with it. As for customer service... TF has awesome customer service... Joe @ TF once sent me tools for free to reinstall my lift 2 years after I bought the lift... And I didn't even ask... He offered!

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #15 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Yes sir, that's the 3" TF. It sits much higher than 3" and now that I don't own my a top or doors, got a very light stubby front bumper, it sits at about 5" ! I put 37's on and didn't need to trim the fenders... But I still trimmed them Just in case. As for the TF shocks, they are fine... Better than stock. Once you start adding lifts and stuff you want to keep upgrading... And I drove a jk with blisteins and they are much better! If you can't afford super great shocks... TF shocks should last you a few years, I just figure do it once and be done with it. As for customer service... TF has awesome customer service... Joe @ TF once sent me tools for free to reinstall my lift 2 years after I bought the lift... And I didn't even ask... He offered!
Great info, thanks.

Poly Performance SS
post #16 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Input please!!

For a 2009 Rubicon, I am wanting to run the Toyo MT's on 17x8 back rock wheels with 4.5'' BS. If I mount the 285/75R17(34.1x11.50), will they rub on fenders with 1'' BL and no suspension lift?

I also intend on installing xenon flat panel flares for added tire clearence. Perhaps a 1.75'' spacer lift with bumpstops(in addition to BL and flares)would gurantee no rubbing.

Thanks in advance.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Rock God

Just did a 2" Pro Comp puck only lift. Useing all stock parts but the lift.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20715

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode