4.0 6L Engine Swap. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

4.0 6L Engine Swap.

Hi all,

I think I got your attention. My engine is gone and I was just thinking, how hard could it be to put the Legendary in line 6 from maybe a 06 TJ on the JK. Any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I think if you want all the electronics to work and you are going to use the stock ECU, then its going to be very hard. The electronics behind it all is what keeps most people from swapping something "relatively" inexpensive in like a chevy 350.
post #3 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadpr View Post
how hard could it be to put the Legendary in line 6 from maybe a 06 TJ on the JK. Any comments on this?
Hard is a relative term. How much ching ya got? Is it a dedicated trail rig? DD?

I've been daydreaming lately of completely gutting and rewiring my 2dr and stuffing a 400+ HP 406SBC under the hood. I picture a sheetmetal dash with monster tach, fuel cell, ARG ARG ARG!! (ala tim allen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Hi all,

I think I got your attention. My engine is gone and I was just thinking, how hard could it be to put the Legendary in line 6 from maybe a 06 TJ on the JK. Any comments on this?
Legendary? ...had 3 TJs, all 4.0Ls, nothing legendary about them, they were just ok like the 3.8s. Anything can be done with money, but it'd be so much easier to find a new HEMI owner that ditched their 3.8L and pop it in.
post #5 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Hard is a relative term. How much ching ya got? Is it a dedicated trail rig? DD?

I've been daydreaming lately of completely gutting and rewiring my 2dr and stuffing a 400+ HP 406SBC under the hood. I picture a sheetmetal dash with monster tach, fuel cell, ARG ARG ARG!! (ala tim allen)
Not Much Ching for sure but this is the second 3.8 engine it gets ruined. Mine was completely replace bu the dealer not long ago. i do drive it daily and because I had a TJ before I know the engine is way more reliable... BTW I am with you on that dream... Lets Chop and gut the Damn thing. The Truth is that I can't blame Chrysler for what they did, it is a business and they are selling like crazy...
post #6 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Legendary? ...had 3 TJs, all 4.0Ls, nothing legendary about them, they were just ok like the 3.8s. Anything can be done with money, but it'd be so much easier to find a new HEMI owner that ditched their 3.8L and pop it in.
If you had 3 TJ you should know they are way more reliable. As for the Hemi Fu(&k yeah but if I think hard enough all I see is a bigger Chrysler engine, bigger the headaches...
post #7 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Why they were "way more reliable"? My 97 and 00 were fine, the 06 rubi was a total pos, sheared oil-pump shaft @12k, not even part of the recall for a batch of vins for some tainted pump shafts yet mine still failed. Not a terrible idea you're inquiring about, but if you're going to go through all that BS to swap engines why not put something "genuinely" worth the effort?
post #8 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If you had 3 TJ you should know they are way more reliable. As for the Hemi Fu(&k yeah but if I think hard enough all I see is a bigger Chrysler engine, bigger the headaches...
Yeah they were fine, except for my 06 which supposedly quite a few had engine issues in the 06s. But by no means were they "more" realiable, equal at best.

I agree about the hemi to an extent, but I've seen very few issues other than the CANBUS talking to the transmission and having slight shift delays for the 545RE.
post #9 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Yeah they were fine, except for my 06 which supposedly quite a few had engine issues in the 06s. But by no means were they "more" realiable, equal at best.

I agree about the hemi to an extent, but I've seen very few issues other than the CANBUS talking to the transmission and having slight shift delays for the 545RE.
You are right... but I think you got the bad ones from the bunch... Down in Puerto Rico the in line 6 is a most wanted, even the 4 cyl
post #10 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Rock God

I'm curious, why do you think both your engines have gone bad?

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #11 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
I too, dream about this DAILY.
post #12 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

I would love to drop a 350 in mine.
I HATE all this electronic CRAP.
It wouldnt be hard to take everything out and rebuild a new wiring harness.....
but mines a DD and i dont have the time at the moment lol.
Maybe eventually.
I Look at the Hemi and i want the power so bad, but its just as electronic based as this stupid 3.8.
I truly miss the days where the only elecronics required to run the engine were the starter and the spark.

Mines already starting to go haywire at 60K, the wipers are very ont he fritz at the moment.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #13 of 70 Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

id say if your spending all that time to put a 4.0 in you should do a 4 cly diesel swap instead. or hell a 6cly diesel swap, if you can fit one in a dakota you can fit one in a jk (maybe)

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #14 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
I would love to drop a 350 in mine.
I HATE all this electronic CRAP.
It wouldnt be hard to take everything out and rebuild a new wiring harness.....
but mines a DD and i dont have the time at the moment lol.
Maybe eventually.
I Look at the Hemi and i want the power so bad, but its just as electronic based as this stupid 3.8.
I truly miss the days where the only elecronics required to run the engine were the starter and the spark.

Mines already starting to go haywire at 60K, the wipers are very ont he fritz at the moment.
Am with you there, if you got to Jepetos.com that is a group in Mexico they are wild builders, I sawa couple with the basic set up. So it can be done...
post #15 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
id say if your spending all that time to put a 4.0 in you should do a 4 cly diesel swap instead. or hell a 6cly diesel swap, if you can fit one in a dakota you can fit one in a jk (maybe)
That does sound good. I've seen some 4cyl doing wonders in the trails here
post #16 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you're going to go through the expense and hassel to do a swap, make it worth while (Hemi or diesel). Why put in an engine that will be just as under-whelming in the JK platform as the current 3.8L, and get worse fuel economy. Plus, be sure to review your local laws on swapping in an older model engine into your vehicle.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #17 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
If you're going to go through the expense and hassel to do a swap, make it worth while (Hemi or diesel). Why put in an engine that will be just as under-whelming in the JK platform as the current 3.8L, and get worse fuel economy. Plus, be sure to review your local laws on swapping in an older model engine into your vehicle.
Under-Whelming? Bro the 3.8 is an engine fit for a mini van... Anything would be an upgrade even a Toyota engine...
post #18 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Under-Whelming? Bro the 3.8 is an engine fit for a mini van... Anything would be an upgrade even a Toyota engine...
You keep saying stuff like that but will not base your rationale on any real facts, everyone's aware the 3.8 is par for course, but those with experience also know the 4.0L isn't worthy upgrade in the JKs.

At this point you're so convinced it's the ultimate engine, it's time for you to throw one in there, get-r-done!
post #19 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I understand all you Auto trans JKU guys with monster bumpers, cages, 60's, 40's, this and the other fuckin thing on or in your rig that might warrant an upgrade to a more powerful engine to compensate for all the shit you throw at your rig but my 2dr 6spd, 3.21 w/32's hauls ass with it's "mini-van motor". I really don't understand what a majority of the bitchin is about. It's a Jeep Wrangler. Not a Saleen Mustang.

And FWIW, I've got 51k on mine and it runs like a champ.

Rock out

Quote:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scottrock; 12-22-2009 at 07:33 AM.
post #20 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

hey, if he wants to put a less powerful engine in (less HP, less Torque) based on "seat of his pants" testing, by all means I say go for it.

When your JK cant get out of its own way and sucks down gas like a fat girl with a slurpy, dont say we didnt tell you.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #21 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
You keep saying stuff like that but will not base your rationale on any real facts, everyone's aware the 3.8 is par for course, but those with experience also know the 4.0L isn't worthy upgrade in the JKs.

At this point you're so convinced it's the ultimate engine, it's time for you to throw one in there, get-r-done!
I base my humble opinion on experience I had a TJ when I moved from PR I had to sell, now am Back and got the JK. But this is what we all have now, so I guess we have to make the best of it. Am thinking Porting the heads since am opening up...
post #22 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaverse View Post
hey, if he wants to put a less powerful engine in (less HP, less Torque) based on "seat of his pants" testing, by all means I say go for it.

When your JK cant get out of its own way and sucks down gas like a fat girl with a slurpy, dont say we didnt tell you.
hahah Sorry ladies... Don't know about you all but Even when am all about HP I have to think reliability. That's all! No Biggie sorry if I touched a sensitive subject.
post #23 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I understand all you Auto trans JKU guys with monster bumpers, cages, 60's, 40's, this and the other fuckin thing on or in your rig that might warrant an upgrade to a more powerful engine to compensate for all the shit you throw at your rig but my 2dr 6spd, 3.21 w/32's hauls ass with it's "mini-van motor". I really don't understand what a majority of the bitchin is about. It's a Jeep Wrangler. Not a Saleen Mustang.

And FWIW, I've got 51k on mine and it runs like a champ.

Rock out
Damn it is a sensitive subject on here sorry all... Lets be friends. By the way push you JK like I do mine and you will know better...
post #24 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I base my humble opinion on experience I had a TJ when I moved from PR I had to sell, now am Back and got the JK. But this is what we all have now, so I guess we have to make the best of it. Am thinking Porting the heads since am opening up...
Of course we have to make the best of it, kinda sucks, wish HEMI's were standard issue or optional for these heeps. But I've thought about porting the heads too, don't take us to heart, we love talking shop and challenging ideas is all.
post #25 of 70 Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
hahah Sorry ladies... Don't know about you all but Even when am all about HP I have to think reliability. That's all! No Biggie sorry if I touched a sensitive subject.
Quote:
Damn it is a sensitive subject on here sorry all... Lets be friends. By the way push you JK like I do mine and you will know better...
Get some thicker skin dude. You'll need it around here. You asked for opinions.... this place is swimmin with em. And you know what they say about opinions right??

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode