River Raider Corners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

River Raider Corners

This isn't a full write-up, as it's already been done, just a brief summary.

One of the reasons I narrowed the rear bumper was that when dropping off ledges and stuff there was enough body flex for the bumper to push up against the rear quarter panel. This resulted in some minor damage to the rear panels. So I added some River Raider corners.

Installation is pretty straight forward, but took a little longer than I anticipated, about six hours altogether.

First thing I did was paint them, through some Rustoleum Hammered paint on the inside, as I happened to have plenty, and used Rustoleum Bed Liner spray on the outside.

Once that was dry, I mounted some ORO LiteDots in the corners and connected the connectors off the factory lights. You need to pay attention to where the wires come through the mounting hole in corners as the LiteDot wiring is not always dead center.

I used Warrior Products 50 watt resistors across the brake/turn signal wiring, so that the turn signals would flash correctly. These come with a nice heat sink and can be bolted inside the rear quarter panel.

Taping off the whole corner is a good idea while you test fit the corners to avoid scratching the paint. Use the provided templates and cut out the quarter panel.

Offer up the corners and plug in your light connector and check the lights work correctly.

An extra pair of hands is useful for the next part, but not essential. Test fit the corners and mark the mounting holes. If you follow the edge of the tailgate opening there isn't too many ways they will fit. Mark the holes and drill a 1/8" pilot hole, followed by a 5/8" step drill.

Paint all bare metal with some paint before final mounting of the corners. make sure none of the wiring is near the resistors.

Drop the rubber inserts into the holes, offer up the corners and get each bolt started. I found it best to tighten each one a little at a time, doing 3 or 4 complete passes.

The factory fuel cap surround needs a little trimming to fit, but is very easy to do. The black plastic trim pieces over the hinge no longer fit. The body side ones may fit with some trimming, but I just painted the hinge black and used the tailgate side covers which still fit fine.

Finally, seal around the corners with some silicone.

They follow the lines around the corner pretty well, but due to the curve of the panel, not so well at the bottom side corner. However some silicone soon filled that gap and as it is underneath you can't see it anyway.

These things are solid once installed, they are 3/16" steel, well made and will definitely take a beating.

The LiteDots work great, they include tail, brake/turn, back-up lights and also have three LED's on the side. They are really bright to look at, but don't give off much usable light when in reverse. I also through some Recon LED marker lights in the front so they'd match better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Sick! the whole rig

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #3 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

sweet photos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Granite Guru

sick rig

2007 black sahara
35 nitto mud grapplers
3 inch BDS/Teraflex lift
Built D44 front
Flat fenders
river raidor rock sliders
kc 6 inch slim lites
HID head lights
rock krawler hd tie rod
rock krawler hd drag link
river raider front bumper
river raider full skids
river raider crusher corners and led circle tail lights
river raider rear bumper and tire carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

Wicked - You're more man than I - I'm afraid to cut sheet metal, I broke into a cold sweat when trimming my rockers to fit my 37s...

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Sick! the whole rig
x2!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #7 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice! Why did you cut so much of your corner out?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #8 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Nice! Why did you cut so much of your corner out?
Good question.

That is what the template shows to cut. I started by cutting a much smaller area, as I couldn't see why I needed to cut so much either.

After offering the corner up, it didn't seem to fit well along the bottom side edge, so I figured I'd cut it as they suggest.

Didn't make any difference to the fit and I'm still not exactly sure why so much is needed to be cut out. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the panel is curved in both directions, so removing the center section allows for a better fit.
post #9 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good Phil. The sawzall is your friend!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Good question.

That is what the template shows to cut. I started by cutting a much smaller area, as I couldn't see why I needed to cut so much either.

After offering the corner up, it didn't seem to fit well along the bottom side edge, so I figured I'd cut it as they suggest.

Didn't make any difference to the fit and I'm still not exactly sure why so much is needed to be cut out. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the panel is curved in both directions, so removing the center section allows for a better fit.
Thanks!

Just ordered mine. Expensive as everything else.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #11 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great Phil.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
JKO Addict!

What louvers are you running on your hood?
What size tires? with stock axles?

Last edited by maverick; 12-21-2009 at 02:15 PM.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
What louvers are you running on your hood?
Gen Right.

Quote:
What size tires?
40x13.50x17

Quote:
with stock axles?
Yup. Superior shafts in the rear. RCV Performance shafts at the front, gusseted C's, and inner sleeves.

Obviously, 60's would be preferred, but they are not in the budget right now. However, the 44's are pretty tough and reliable once beefed up a little, especially with a light right foot.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Rock God

that rig looks awsome!!!

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #15 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Rock God

Great job as always Phil. The rig looks badass with those corners.
post #16 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work Phil!

Those are on my list! Soon!
post #17 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Rock God

Looking good Phil!

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #18 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Nice work Phil!

Those are on my list! Soon!
Yep, same here....

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #19 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Looks great Phil! Cutting that huge hole would scare the shat out of me!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #20 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Gen Right.

40x13.50x17

Yup. Superior shafts in the rear. RCV Performance shafts at the front, gusseted C's, and inner sleeves.

Obviously, 60's would be preferred, but they are not in the budget right now. However, the 44's are pretty tough and reliable once beefed up a little, especially with a light right foot.
Do you 'abuse' it? I have Superior Chrome Molys & CTMs up front... RCVs weren't available at the time. I may try 40s soon... if I break a front axle, maybe try the RCVs at that time.

post #21 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Do you 'abuse' it?
Not really, I don't like spinning wheels and would rather let more air out of the tires than spin wheels. I still spin them when I know they are not likely to hook up suddenly.
post #22 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Not really, I don't like spinning wheels and would rather let more air out of the tires than spin wheels. I still spin them when I know they are not likely to hook up suddenly.
I don't like spinning the tires either, but even aired down... sometimes it's necessary...

post #23 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
sometimes it's necessary...
I agree, I'll often sit on an obstacle with all tires spinning slowly waiting for traction, I just try and avoid those foot to the floor, tires screaming, followed by loud bang moments.
post #24 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

looks Bad ass Phil.

Yes, he wheels it. No, he's not real hard on it.

|
|
post #25 of 35 Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
No, he's not real hard on it.
That sounds like an insult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode