Master-Pull XD Winch Line and a new Fairlead! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Master-Pull XD Winch Line and a new Fairlead!

I finally got around to getting some synthetic winch line, after looking for a while I decided to go with the Master-Pull XD. It costs more but I don't think there is any better out there. Thanks to Phil D at Trailduty for getting it headed to my doorstep on the big brown truck!

A few cool things about the XD line:
-Powder coated crush proof tube thimble
-3ft. Rock Guard w/ Velcro
-10ft. heat protector for the bottom layer of the winch drum
-Drum link w/ screw for drum
-Safety Hook

Got the old stuff off and changed out the fairlead to a new PolyPerformance aluminum one that has a little personality, it is my personal statement to JKF... right out front.

While I was at it I decided to move my windshield lights to the front bumper....

I ordered a neoprene cover for the winch to keep everything out of the elements and hopefully prolong the life.

One question about the Warn Powerplant - it is my first winch with thermal protection, when spooling on the new line the damn thing would cut out about ever 10-15'.. is that normal? I mean FAWK..... it was cool outside (~40) and the winch was not under any load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
A few cool things about the XD line:
Most importantly it is pre-stretched and covered by an outer braid. It really helps the life of the line and stands up to Texas granite much better.

Quote:
One question about the Warn Powerplant - it is my first winch with thermal protection, when spooling on the new line the damn thing would cut out about ever 10-15'.. is that normal? I mean FAWK..... it was cool outside (~40) and the winch was not under any load.
I haven't used a Powerplant winch, but that doesn't sound normal. I've used their ti winches and never noticed any cutting like that.

Looks good
post #3 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Lookin goooood Mr. Gilbert!!

I'm diggin the new light location. I think the windshield mounted lights have become way too common.

Nice winch line too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Most importantly it is pre-stretched and covered by an outer braid. It really helps the life of the line and stands up to Texas granite much better.

I haven't used a Powerplant winch, but that doesn't sound normal. I've used their ti winches and never noticed any cutting like that.

Looks good
I sent them an email, it is a new winch and the first time that I have used it in "winch" mode. It works fine in air compressor mode and will spool about 15 feet before I hear a click and nothing for a few minutes. When it first happened I thought that the fuse blew so I pulled and checked it - it was good.... after a few minutes I heard a click and it worked...same cycle until I got all 125' of line spooled on... that sucked. I will post up their response.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I also added a nice little neoprene coat to keep the winch cozy and out of the elements...

Got one for the Hi-Lift as well, I cleaned it up, gave it a fresh paint job and lubricated it with some dry wax lubricant before zipping the cover on.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Me likey your POLY fairlead.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Granite Guru

The XD-9000I would do this.
The motor is "Chassis" grounded.
When the long bolts holding the motor to the chassis, slightly corroded or didn't make a good connection, it would stop & just make a click like a solenoid took a dump.
If you held the spool in/out button long enough, sometimes it would start back up & work for a few minutes.

I'm unclear how the Powerplant circuitry works but this may be something worthwhile to look @.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
The XD-9000I would do this.
The motor is "Chassis" grounded.
When the long bolts holding the motor to the chassis, slightly corroded or didn't make a good connection, it would stop & just make a click like a solenoid took a dump.
If you held the spool in/out button long enough, sometimes it would start back up & work for a few minutes.

I'm unclear how the Powerplant circuitry works but this may be something worthwhile to look @.

OK, its a brand new winch.... I sent a note with a vid to Warn. We will see how they reply.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

OK..... duh... I got a quick response from Warn and figured out what I was doing wrong - what sucks is that I had read it in the operators manual too..

Here is what the manual states:
During any winching operation, the fitting must be left open without a hose connected. If a hose is connected during winching, air pressure will build up in the unit and the pressure switch will stop the motor. It is recommended that the door be in place on the housing at all times except during actual compressor operation.

I should have figured this out when it quit and the overheat indicator wasn't on... I have a ball valve that I have to remember to leave open during winching.

To test it out I spooled out about 75' of rope and then back on smooth as butter!

Thanks for the quick response, Warn.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Yeah that looks like the way to go as far as line goes. Thanks for posting!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode