Help! ESP kicking in ALOT after Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe
Help! ESP kicking in ALOT after Lift

Last Month I took my otherwise-stock 2008 Rubicon Unlimited and had a lift installed. My Rig sofar:

- 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex Kit
- Bilstien 3"+ 5100's
- 35x12.5.17' Goodyear MTR Kevlar's
- Soft 8's

I had 4WP install the kit. They've checked the alignment 3 times, but cannot get it to ride without the ESP going off around corners. It doesn't do it on all corners, but will go off on freeway cloverleaf exits, even at 30MPH. There are no cloverleaf exits near 4WP, so they've not seen the issue. Not sure if they believe me or not.

Yesterday they told me "if this doesn't fix it, you need to take it to the dealer, something is wrong with a sensor or something, its' nothing we did". On my way home last night ESP kicked in 4 times. It wasn't raining, and I wasn't hot-dogging.

The steering wheel appears straight. They double checked that it was centered yesterday.

This is killing me. I feel like I destroyed a perfectly good Jeep with this Lift/Tires (altho it looks great!). I'd say I am averaging 5-10 ESP activations per day. Even when I try to turn it off it seems to come back on. I'm afraid its going to kick in at the wrong time and cause (not prevent) an accident.

Is anyone aware of a lift-kit friendly factory jeep service department in NorCal? I just know if I take it into Jeep they are going to give me

Thoughts or Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 12-17-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

ANOTHER VICTIM of 4WP! again I wouldn't let them fart in my rig.

your wheel is probably still off. play around with the adjustment. an AEV ProCal will "fool" you Jeep into thinking it is centered perfectly that's what I did

2015 JKU Sport Virgin

Last edited by GreenAmphibious; 12-17-2009 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Rock God

Who has checked your alignment?
I would take it to a specialty shop who does alignments....not 4WP.
Measure to make sure your axles are centered under the Jeep.
Measure your wheel base on both sides to make sure it is the same.
Re-torque all bolts

Off-road.com
JK Project
Recession Cheap Cherokee
JK Project 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Center the steering wheel.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Did you re-calibrate the speedo for the larger tires? I did a 2.5BB & 33's & had a similar problem... The Superchips programmer fixed it...

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #6 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerNJ View Post
Did you re-calibrate the speedo for the larger tires? I did a 2.5BB & 33's & had a similar problem... The Superchips programmer fixed it...
I have not yet recalibrated for the tires or changed gearing. Speedo at 60 shows 65 on the gps. Is everone reprogramming or just living with the speedo off?

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #7 of 19 Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
I have not yet recalibrated for the tires or changed gearing. Speedo at 60 shows 65 on the gps. Is everone reprogramming or just living with the speedo off?
getting your speedo correct makes a difference. I did the Procal and knocked out tire size for the speedo as well as centering the wheel. 2008 and later JKs you cna shut off tpms as well

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #8 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I had 4WP install the kit. They've checked the alignment 3 times
i was told by someone who works for them that they do not do "real" alignments. they do some kind of half-assed thing, but it isn't a true alignment. not sure what it is they do, exactly, and how you are charged for doing... well... almost nothing
post #9 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

Discobayjoe

This is a pretty easy fix for sure! When the alignment was done, was the vehicle hooked up to a Starscan unit or something similar that also gives a digital read out of the steering wheel position sensors while they are doing the alignment?

It could be a sensor. It could be a loose connection for any of the control arms or track bars up front. It could even be a variance in tire pressure. There are alot of things it could be. If you need any further assistence please let us know. We will be more than happy to out!

A Snap On Programmer will allow you to open up the ESP sensor window as well! We have never used a Pro Cal unit from AEV so we are not sure if this is one of its functions or not!

Rock Krawler
post #10 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Mine had a lot of problems as well.... Correcting with the ProCal fixed it for the most part.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Rock God

I had the same set up as you. 2008 Rubi Unlimited RK Mid-Arm and 35s, Fox shox.

I used the AEV Procal to set the steering wheel and tire size. 95% of the premature activation went away. There are a couple of on ramps around here that would still trigger it. (downhill, off camber, decreasing radius).

I *think* theres is just a slight variance in the steering angle with it still in the stock location that the ESP computer detects a difference in the YAW vs Steering angle when certain conditions are present. It's a little bit of a tricky system. The body roll of different shocks, springs, roll center set ups etc can effect what the ESP sensors read.

On flat-ish ground I could push the RK suspension pretty hard without ESP intervention, it was just certain off tilt corners(at a fair clip mind you) that it would step in.

post #12 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

There still should not be ESP activation unless it is warranted, even if you are on an increasing radius or decreasing radius corner.

Our typical procedure after installation is to take it directly to our local Jeep dealer for alignment. They hook it up to their Star Scan unit through the OBD II port while aligning the vehicle on the Hunter Rack. This ensures the steering wheel position sensors are working in conjunction with the alignment machine. We set the alignment specs to factory and varify the tire pressure is equalized across the vehicle. We typically also set a 2 pound tire split between the front tires and the rear!

Rock Krawler
post #13 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You MUST recalibrate your ECM after installing larger tires, regearing, etc. Get an AEV Pro Cal, etc., and reflash.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Rock God

Isn't there a way to force the ESP to relearn the rig? Unhook the battery.
Put your right foot in,
Take your right foot, out,
Grab the steering wheel,
And shake it all about,
or something like that?

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru

Or just disable that pos ESP and drive your Jeep yourself instead of letting it have any control!
Even at stock height with stock 27" tires mine would activate on off camber turns,Accelerating/turning right or left from a stop at intersections... and just really stupid and inappropiate times especially when I went to a 33" tire

scene: Agaudo smashes cockroach to provoke ventura
Agaudo: Homicide!, ventura how you gonna solve that one?
Ventura: Good question Agaudo,first I'd establish a motive..in this case the killer saw the size of the bugs dick and became insanely jealous!
post #16 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Wheeler

what is your tire pressure set at? mine did this as well and i found my tire pressure was set way to high by the shop that mounted my tires. backed it off to around 30 psi and no more probs.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My guess would be tire pressure or steering wheel. Anybody near you have an Aeroforce Interceptor you can borrow?
post #18 of 19 Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

AEV ProCal will fix it. larger tires, new gears, even a transmission change will require a flash to the ecm.

i recommend the aev procal since it is easy to use and quick. worked great for my RK lift and 39" tires. ive had 0 issues.

quick search on forum or google with give you more information

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #19 of 19 Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Another vote for reprogramming, will likely solve at least some of your issues (Procal helped mine). However, it sounds like if you're getting that much feedback then you may have a legit alignment issue of some sort.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode