White Smoke from Exahust, Please Help... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question White Smoke from Exahust, Please Help...

GRRRR
I think I had every possible problem with my JK but now is acting up again at the wrong time… “Am broke” Any way there is lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. About a month ago I went offroading and got stock for a long time deep in the muddy water. If this is related why would it go bad a month later? I have a few theories of what it could be but very unsure.
1. Something wrong with the gas mixture. (About 2 months ago I went Cat Less) Then again why act up two months later?
2. I ran low on oil this past week but right before it started smoking I did filled up with new oil.
3. Head Gasket blown. But there is no oil on the radiator or overheated.
4. God I need a Hemi
I do feel the engine is a bit weaker than normal but that just might be my imagination. Has anybody had the same problem? Please let me know. Any advices?
:b eer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadpr View Post
2. I ran low on oil this past week but right before it started smoking I did filled up with new oil.
This sounds the most likely from what you've said.

Is there any water in the oil, usually milky brown.

How did you run low enough on oil to make it smoke? How much oil were you low, where did it smoke from, and where did the oil go?
post #3 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Quote:
GRRRR
I think I had every possible problem with my JK but now is acting up again at the wrong time… “Am broke” Any way there is lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. About a month ago I went offroading and got stock for a long time deep in the muddy water. If this is related why would it go bad a month later? I have a few theories of what it could be but very unsure.
1. Something wrong with the gas mixture. (About 2 months ago I went Cat Less) Then again why act up two months later?
4. God I need a Hemi
I do feel the engine is a bit weaker than normal but that just might be my imagination. Has anybody had the same problem? Please let me know. Any advices?
Any backfiring when slowing down? No catalytic converter cut down on back pressure. could be a fuel/air ratio problem too. any pics would help. Also what does the smoke smell like?

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Does the white "smoke" give off a sweet smell? Coolant burning gives off a noticeable odor.
post #5 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Rock God

PCV valve?

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #6 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
PCV valve?
If oil were somehow flowing back in to the intake through the PCV then it would be blue smoke.

White smoke is invariably water.
post #7 of 42 Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
GRRRR
4. God I need a Hemi
This is a authorized supercharger dealer in PR, give them a call they know their stuff.

ESB PR Performance Corp (Jeep)
BO.SAN Anton RD 887km 2.5Q
Caralina PR 00987
787-752-2886
[email protected]
post #8 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
This sounds the most likely from what you've said.

Is there any water in the oil, usually milky brown.

How did you run low enough on oil to make it smoke? How much oil were you low, where did it smoke from, and where did the oil go?
When down to about 3qt. still unsure about what it is.. grrr
post #9 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
Any backfiring when slowing down? No catalytic converter cut down on back pressure. could be a fuel/air ratio problem too. any pics would help. Also what does the smoke smell like?
Some backfiring when slowing down yes, The smell is the typical exhaust smell but a bit stronger. If that is the problem, what can I do bro? The cats gone... Any temporary solutions until I get some $$$ ? Let me know man, Thanks!
post #10 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
Does the white "smoke" give off a sweet smell? Coolant burning gives off a noticeable odor.
True but that's not it I run on Pure water with water Weater..
post #11 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
PCV valve?
Could be... have to scan the damn thing...

A
post #12 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
When down to about 3qt. still unsure about what it is.. grrr
It's not unsual for mine to run through a quart or so every 3k miles, but 3 quarts is an awful lot to be losing. I changed the PCV valve on mine and it seemed to reduce oil usage for a short time, although it was still a pint low after 3k miles.

Oil burns blue, so your oil consumption is not directly related to the white smoke, although the issue causing one more be causing the other.
post #13 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 07:13 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
True but that's not it I run on Pure water with water Weater..
That may not be such a great idea. I know you can run water and Water Wetter in race engines, but not so sure it is such a great idea for every day use, as the temp ranges will fluctuate much more.

Water Wetter is designed to get your engine to run cooler, so I'm presuming you had some issues with over heating to start with?
post #14 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Rock God

My money is on a head gasket and hope you did not warp a head
post #15 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
That may not be such a great idea. I know you can run water and Water Wetter in race engines, but not so sure it is such a great idea for every day use, as the temp ranges will fluctuate much more.

Water Wetter is designed to get your engine to run cooler, so I'm presuming you had some issues with over heating to start with?
I had issues with over heating but the problem turned out to be a Mudy Radiator, after going crazy trying to diagnose, The good people from JK Owners told me to look at the radiator a bit deeper so that was the problem. I did change the thermostat to 180. Here in Puerto Rico is always HOT so I wanted to lower the temps. Another thing is that it can get hotter when you are in the trails deep in the woods running at low speeds...
post #16 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy01 View Post
My money is on a head gasket and hope you did not warp a head
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I dont want to be that. hahah So far the oil is clean and the radiator also...
post #17 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Here in Puerto Rico is always HOT so I wanted to lower the temps. Another thing is that it can get hotter when you are in the trails deep in the woods running at low speeds...
I can appreciate that, but it's not exactly cold here in the Summer and wheeling in 100+°F is not uncommon, and I never have overheating issues.
post #18 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I dont want to be that. hahah So far the oil is clean and the radiator also...
White smoke means water, which invariably means head gasket. Run a compression test on the cylinders.
post #19 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

thats a head gasket[because you run pure water with water weeter.

that is not a good idea...coolent help lubricate and fight corosion. water weeter is not designed to be left in the engine for long periods of time. it is designed for race engines that get drained and rebuilt after every race. get a new motor cause you can get them cheaper than doing the head gasket, and put coolent in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
thats a head gasket[because you run pure water with water weeter.

that is not a good idea...coolent help lubricate and fight corosion. water weeter is not designed to be left in the engine for long periods of time. it is designed for race engines that get drained and rebuilt after every race. get a new motor cause you can get them cheaper than doing the head gasket, and put coolent in it.
Thanks all, but if it was a head gasket wouldn't I get water on my oil? or oil on my water? The water weeter claims to have a lubricant, Other than the lubricating purposes why use antifreeze on a place that never gets to freezing points?
post #21 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I can appreciate that, but it's not exactly cold here in the Summer and wheeling in 100+°F is not uncommon, and I never have overheating issues.
Wait until your radiator gets totally filled with mud, am telling you the JK radiator is so thin I wouldn't use it on a 4 cylinder.
post #22 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Thanks all, but if it was a head gasket wouldn't I get water on my oil? or oil on my water? The water weeter claims to have a lubricant, Other than the lubricating purposes why use antifreeze on a place that never gets to freezing points?
You'll most probably find that antifreeze contains better rust prohibitors and lubricants than just water and Water Wetter.
post #23 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Wait until your radiator gets totally filled with mud, am telling you the JK radiator is so thin I wouldn't use it on a 4 cylinder.
There's a reason I keep out of mud
post #24 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Thanks all, but if it was a head gasket wouldn't I get water on my oil? or oil on my water?
Not necessarily, if the gasket is just blown between the water jacket and cylinder, you'll just burn water.

Compression test.
post #25 of 42 Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Without a picture or smell-o-vision I can't say for sure. Do you have an aftermarket intake installed? If you do try disconnecting your battery and pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times turn light column on off to discharge the computer. When you reconnect, take it out for a drive, accelerate pretty quick, a couple of times and drive at 45-65 for 10 mins. See if the computer can learn new Air/Fuel ratios with the less backpressure.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode