SPEC clutch installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
SPEC clutch installed

To all,

After reading a few of the clutch problem threads and talking with SPEC and Hitmoney, I decided to get a 2+ clutch. It went in yesterday with my dealership. I took it in previously concerned about the various sounds from the TOB, and my dealership said they could replace it with the stock one. OR I could get a better clutch than the POS stock one (his words), and they would install it under the TSB.

What a difference. I'm still getting use to lightness of the clutch. I haven't stalled it yet (but I was close). I'll try to keep this updated as time goes by.

Thanks to JKO and SPEC for all the information and to Polyperformance for running the Black Friday sale.

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

[QUOTE=el_campede;292290]To all,
I'm still getting use to lightness of the clutch.
QUOTE]

What do you mean by "lightness of the clutch"? I have driven Hitmoney's rig a few times with the 3+ clutch and the biggest difference I find compared to the stock clutch is the lack of a transition between it being engaged. You are in gear or you are not and that line is very fine/takes a little getting used to be smooth.

Reminds me of a race clutch. It is only a matter of time before I will replace mine and I will probably go with SPEC but I am not sure what number to get. I do more daily driving with mine then Hitmoney does. I would not want the 3+ feel for a daily driver.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah, in my experience aftermarket clutches are stiffer than stock, and have a very fine engagement line (just like moose said)
hmm.....

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Yeah, in my experience aftermarket clutches are stiffer than stock, and have a very fine engagement line (just like moose said)
hmm.....
What he means by a light feel is that it takes much less effort with the SPEC to depress the pedal.. the pressure plate of the SPEC is far more efficient than the stock one.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Garage

[QUOTE=Moose512;292383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campede View Post
To all,
I'm still getting use to lightness of the clutch.
QUOTE]

What do you mean by "lightness of the clutch"? I have driven Hitmoney's rig a few times with the 3+ clutch and the biggest difference I find compared to the stock clutch is the lack of a transition between it being engaged. You are in gear or you are not and that line is very fine/takes a little getting used to be smooth.

Reminds me of a race clutch. It is only a matter of time before I will replace mine and I will probably go with SPEC but I am not sure what number to get. I do more daily driving with mine then Hitmoney does. I would not want the 3+ feel for a daily driver.

I really don't recommend the 3+ on a daily driver... but then again once you are use to it it it is fine... but it does take some time to "re-learn" how to drive your junk.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

I really don't recommend the 3+ on a daily driver... but then again once you are use to it it it is fine... but it does take some time to "re-learn" how to drive your junk.

when speaking with SPEC they recommended a 3+ to me even after we talked about daily driving. ??weird??

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #7 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Is it that rough or is it a matter of how much you mind being abused while daily driving?
post #8 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

HITMONEY is correct in that the clutch arm depress is lighter than the stock.
Moose512 is correct in that the engagement timing is more institaneous. I've been chirping my tires a bit more starting out.

As far as my considerations, I did not feel I needed the 3+ (as suggested by SPEC as well). I did not want their base, and I was waffleing between the 2 and 2+. I went with the hybrid 2+ to get goodness of both worlds. If it gets wet the semi metalic would still hold. The kevlar will be good for DD.

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #9 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
when speaking with SPEC they recommended a 3+ to me even after we talked about daily driving. ??weird??
They probably saw the pics of you under water and spinning your 37" Mud Grapplers!! You probably should get the stronger 3+, especially if you are going to add weight to your rig in the way of armor and stuff.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
They probably saw the pics of you under water and spinning your 37" Mud Grapplers!! You probably should get the stronger 3+, especially if you are going to add weight to your rig in the way of armor and stuff.
LOL! true on the weight thing.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #11 of 17 Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campede View Post
HITMONEY is correct in that the clutch arm depress is lighter than the stock.
Moose512 is correct in that the engagement timing is more institaneous. I've been chirping my tires a bit more starting out.

As far as my considerations, I did not feel I needed the 3+ (as suggested by SPEC as well). I did not want their base, and I was waffleing between the 2 and 2+. I went with the hybrid 2+ to get goodness of both worlds. If it gets wet the semi metalic would still hold. The kevlar will be good for DD.
I have Center Force and is way lighter than stock... Light is good...
post #12 of 17 Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

First couple of days impression: I LIKE IT!

Very tame around town. Love the easy clutch movement at lights. I have one of those funny little hill starts (about a long as the Unlimited) that lips up at the top. From a dead stop, it popped right off without delay (the stock clutch would slip a little).

Took my freeway route in this morning. Had a big rig want my lane, so I backed off. When he went back, a quick down shift into 3rd and I was off. Nice quick engagement and no loss due to high speed slippage.

Did I say I like this SPEC clutch?

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #13 of 17 Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Rock God

Guys

I have Spec stage 3+ same as HITMONEY. Everything was installed properly by the dealer fly wheel was surfaced etc

After few thousand miles and mud driving i have this squeeking sound come back again when depressing or pumping the clutch pedal

What is going on.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Guys

I have Spec stage 3+ same as HITMONEY. Everything was installed properly by the dealer fly wheel was surfaced etc

After few thousand miles and mud driving i have this squeeking sound come back again when depressing or pumping the clutch pedal

What is going on.
Mine doesn't make a squeak of any kind..

When you press on the clutch pedal you are hydraulically moving a fork which inturn engages the throw out bearing.

Is the noise only when you depress? how about when you let the pedal up?

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #15 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Rock God

The squeeking is coming both ways when I am pressing the pedal or releasing it.
Especiall when its hot it makes quite a lot of noise.

Quote:
Mine doesn't make a squeak of any kind..

When you press on the clutch pedal you are hydraulically moving a fork which inturn engages the throw out bearing.

Is the noise only when you depress? how about when you let the pedal up?
post #16 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
The squeeking is coming both ways when I am pressing the pedal or releasing it.
Especiall when its hot it makes quite a lot of noise.
Only things I can think it could be..

1. Clutch Pedal assembly (especially if you are hearing the noise inside the cap more than out.)

2. The clutch fork (the lever that actually moves the TO bearing)

3. The throw out bearing itself or its movement on the front bearing collar.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 17 Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Rock God

sounds like TO bearing. So the issue of clutch squeeking remains the same with OEM or Spec etc Bec Spec did provide a TO bearing and if it is tossed than there is no difference between them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode