What lift kit to stay away from? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question What lift kit to stay away from?

I have read countless threads on how great one lift company is (i.e. teraflex, rubicon express, superlifts, etc..), but I haven't read any threads on what lifts to stay away from.

Please post if you have experiences or have heard of troubles with peoples lift on the JK.

HEY SLOBBERKNOCKERS THIS IS MY VERY FIRST POST.

Last edited by Grant211; 06-03-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: slobberknocker added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2007, 10:42 AM

I have the Rancho Long Arm Kit on my JK, and would recomend that to anyone and everyone out there. I know they are also coming out with a short arm kit at this years SEMA show.

I ran the Ultimate Adventure this past year with this kit and DID NOT have one issue the entire time. In fact this year I have run Moab (week long), Rubicon, Big Bear (2x), and the Ultimate Adventure and again, no issues with this kit at all.

You can see some of my images of my Optima Battery sponsored Jeep JK at:
www.rchdesigns.com/hells_revenge
www.rchdesigns.com/moab_rim
www.rchdesigns.com/rubicon_web
www.2007ultimateadventure.com
post #3 of 7 Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenjeepn View Post
I have the Rancho Long Arm Kit on my JK, and would recomend that to anyone and everyone out there. I know they are also coming out with a short arm kit at this years SEMA show.

I ran the Ultimate Adventure this past year with this kit and DID NOT have one issue the entire time. In fact this year I have run Moab (week long), Rubicon, Big Bear (2x), and the Ultimate Adventure and again, no issues with this kit at all.

You can see some of my images of my Optima Battery sponsored Jeep JK at:
www.rchdesigns.com/hells_revenge
www.rchdesigns.com/moab_rim
www.rchdesigns.com/rubicon_web
www.2007ultimateadventure.com
Welcome to the forum!

I SOOO want your fenders!

I tried to figure out who made these when I first saw your JK. I even harassed people at Optima.

Great looking JK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 AM

I wouldn't neccessarly say to stay away from any one kit, but stay away from one specifc part, front trac bar relocation brackets. The extend the mount upwards and create more stress on the factory mount and have caused failures of the welds. In the rear they are ok IF the mount to frame and not axle.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkRuby View Post
I wouldn't neccessarly say to stay away from any one kit, but stay away from one specifc part, front trac bar relocation brackets. The extend the mount upwards and create more stress on the factory mount and have caused failures of the welds. In the rear they are ok IF the mount to frame and not axle.
I wouldn't say to stay away from all Relocation brackets as a whole, but a lot of them out there aren't good for the program. It really depends on how solid it's mounted. We've put OURS through Hell without any problems.

We prefer to relocate them to the axle, Front and Rear, as it keeps the roll center higher. Keep it solid and don't bolt it up solely to the factory bracket and it's not a problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks on the fenders. The guys at www.twistedtinmotorsports.com built them for me on off. They have quoted others that were interested at $1000 per set due to all the TIG welding necessary. The guys at Smittybilt and Rancho are both working on trying to produce a similar set at an affordable cost.

You are right on the relocation bracket failure. I broke mine when it was just bolted on, then I welded it on and stressed out the stock mount. So now I had Mel at Off Road Evolution in Fullerton brace the s&$t out of it. By the way, if your in southern california, the guys at Off Road Evolution are the best on working on JK's.

Word to the wise, beef up the lower control arm mounts on the front axle. I ripped mine off half way up Cadillac hill in the Rubicon.

And, for those interested in the one accessory that everyone should have in their vehicle when serious wheeling, the portable Ready Welder is the answer. www.readywelder.com

I'll post more on it later. Long story short, it got me out of the Rubicon after ripping off the lower control mount clean off my front axle.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I SOOO want your fenders!

I tried to figure out who made these when I first saw your JK. I even harassed people at Optima.

Great looking JK!
Get in line. Twisted made the fenders, but they're one off and there won't a second pair. I talked to the Optima guys at the Pomona show and they said it took 30+ hours to make the fenders... so, there will not be another set. Of course, on their website they're selling the fenders... hmmmmmmm...

Good news though: I talked the Poison Spyder guys at Pomona and they said they will unveil the new fenders at SEMA.

Dirty Minion #6

Last edited by dayton1999; 10-25-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode