CB Install - 12V Source - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
gcg

CB Install - 12V Source

I'm installing a CB in my 2 door JK and want to wire it to a 12 V source that is "switched". In other words it's only powered when the ignition is on.

Has anyone located an easy place to tap into this source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you can tap into the left side power plug on the dash, its switched. if you need help taking thge dash apart let me know .

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 15 Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
gcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
you can tap into the left side power plug on the dash, its switched. if you need help taking thge dash apart let me know .
I sort of thought that would be a good place to tap into. But I am totally stumped in terms of how to get to the wiring. If you could help me with any instructions, I would greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you are goin to start at the top of the dash, take a hook pic and pull the back part (tword the windsheild) up and it will tilt off. then take a panel poper (or screw driver) and pop off the very bottom part in frontof the shifter after you do that you will see the 4 7mm screws hold the dash peice on, it wont pull out very far unless you undo the hvac cables but you can pull it out enough to ge to the power plug wires. BE VERY CAREFULL, the dash parts scratch very easy.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 15 Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
gcg

Quote:
you are goin to start at the top of the dash, take a hook pic and pull the back part (tword the windsheild) up and it will tilt off. then take a panel poper (or screw driver) and pop off the very bottom part in frontof the shifter after you do that you will see the 4 7mm screws hold the dash peice on, it wont pull out very far unless you undo the hvac cables but you can pull it out enough to ge to the power plug wires. BE VERY CAREFULL, the dash parts scratch very easy.
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. For the dash panels that need to be removed, do you just place the prying tool under the panel and basically pry it straight up? Or is there some sort of catch that you have to push in to release them?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no catch, but on the top part the back (closest to windshield) pops up first

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 15 Old 09-18-2007, 06:17 PM
gcg

Quote:
no catch, but on the top part the back (closest to windshield) pops up first
Hi BeerMonkeY - I wanted to thank you for all the great help. Your instructions on taking the dash apart to get at the switched power to the cigar lighter were very helpful. I was able to tap into it without any problems and finished off the install. I really appreciate the help - Thanks!
post #8 of 15 Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I might have been able to help a bit as well..... But dang work has me up to my eyeballs.

Let me know if you need your CB tuned. I have the SWR meter and it shouldn't take very long.

post #9 of 15 Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM
gcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I might have been able to help a bit as well..... But dang work has me up to my eyeballs.

Let me know if you need your CB tuned. I have the SWR meter and it shouldn't take very long.

Hi Michael - I may take you up on that. I tried to find someone locally to tune it but none of the places I called does that anymore. Even tried buying a SWR meter at Radio Shack but they didn't have them in the store.

I mounted the connection box for the Cobra CB inside the center console so it takes a bit of doing to get at the antenna connection. But, if you're willing to give it a go sometime, I'll pull the console apart again and maybe we can tune it.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Not a problem. One thing you can do is sand down to bare metal the backside of the Cooltech mount bolt so it is getting a really good ground connection. Once I did this with mine my SWR was just about non-existent. I'll PM you my number.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
JKO Addict!

you may wish to upgrade that fuse as well. my Sirius pops it if I use a cigarette lighter AND it at the same time.

randomly
post #12 of 15 Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
JR
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
you may wish to upgrade that fuse as well. my Sirius pops it if I use a cigarette lighter AND it at the same time.

randomly
for best results and no possibility of engine noise, you should really be running your power to battery direct, and ground to a good chassis ground point, or also battery direct.

Not sure if that matters so much really with a CB. It made a big difference with a HAM tho.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #13 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Gib
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
for best results and no possibility of engine noise, you should really be running your power to battery direct, and ground to a good chassis ground point, or also battery direct.

Not sure if that matters so much really with a CB. It made a big difference with a HAM tho.
That is good advice. If you still want your power to be turned on or off by the ignition switch you could set it up on a relay. Just use the ignition power source to trigger the relay on and off. I snagged a really nice noise filter from a military radio that I plan on using if I have any noise from my install.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
gcg

I ended up just tapping into the (switched) lighter plug on the dash. I had read about the possibility of introducing engine noise with this approach but wanted a power source that would turn off when the key was turned off.

The lighter appears to be a relatively clean power source so far. I haven't noticed any engine noise yet. Using the relay sounds like a good alternative but was a little more work than I wanted to take on.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
JR
Rock God

I had mine set up to switch off with the key, but it got really annoying.

I like to be able to shut the engine off and keep using the CB.

Also, every time I would key off on the trail, and get out of the vehicle, then come back, I would have to switch the CB channel again, cause it has no memory and goes back to Ch 1. Got really irritating really fast.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode