Ok Suspension guru-experts need some help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok Suspension guru-experts need some help

I want (read as NEED) to lift my 4 door Rubi, with Auto. I was leaning towards the Full Traction 3" ultimate lift. However, I am also thinking maybe Superlift too..

I DO want an Aftermarket front bumper (with possibly a winch) AND a rear bumper tire carrier.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

With that in mind.

I want to run at least 35's. I know I will be running 5.13's. I drive my jeep 365. To work about 20miles away each way. So it HAS to remain road worthy and dependable.

I know the FULL Traction has a HUGE following. But I know Superlift makes a great product too (apparently they work with Chrysler too along with AEV.)

So as far as driveability, off road ability etc...(with mods above)...

which one (or perhaps another brand)will work. I live on the East Coast so I don't have those super cool rocks and places to go like you guys out west(Yeah you suck! lol)

Any insite would be good. I keep trying to justify the Superlift, but I do like the FT stuff too...

I think the Superlift I can do in stages and keep adding to the lift. (just need to make sure that aftermarket bumpers etc won't affect the lift too bad) I don't want to add spacers to the lift to offset the weight of the bumpers. (I hear you can order a FT with HD Springs to alleviate that)

Anyway...thanks. Your input is great appreciated.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Did you read the JK suspension shoot out in 4wheel & offroad magazine? Superlift came in a close second to the winner but about 1/3 the price of the winner. I would go with superlift and get he bilstein shocks.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
Did you read the JK suspension shoot out in 4wheel & offroad magazine? Superlift came in a close second to the winner but about 1/3 the price of the winner. I would go with superlift and get he bilstein shocks.
What's your opinion on this system?

http://polyperformance.com/shop/prod...416&cat=0&page=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Granite Guru

The two suspensions you mentioned have a really big price difference. Honestly I think the Superlift is a much better bang for the buck. If you are looking for a lift in the 1800+ range than I'd look a little further than just FT stuff. There are plenty of other great manufacturers out there like Rubicon Express and PolyPerformance. So far it seems the Full Traction lifts have worked out great for people in the JK world and you are right to say there is a pretty big following. I would dig a little deeper into other options though. The only lift I have seen trail tested is the Nth degree one and unfortunately finding that suspension now days would be pretty tough seeing as the company's future is a bit of a mystery. I hope a true suspension guru will come in and school us all. Good luck!

-Casey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Pretty much as said above. If you are just looking for an inexpensive way to fit a larger tire on your JK the Superlift is not a bad way to go. If you are looking for more of "suspension system" I would look at the Poly Performance stuff. Its a bit more $$$ but if you look at the components you will understand why (its not just 4 springs and a track bar).

CLICK HERE FOR SOME MORE INFO.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #6 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Rock God

OK Ive been eyeballing a few lifts as well, Poly being one of them. However I have a few Q's about lifts in general. I want adjustable uppers and lowers, I know that much, but whats "better"? Track Bar relocation brackets or new adjustable track bars? Ideally Id like to just eliminate the rear and go tri-link but the Rancho long arm kit seems to be th eonly one that does that. Thanks!!

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #7 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
OK Ive been eyeballing a few lifts as well, Poly being one of them. However I have a few Q's about lifts in general. I want adjustable uppers and lowers, I know that much, but whats "better"? Track Bar relocation brackets or new adjustable track bars? Ideally Id like to just eliminate the rear and go tri-link but the Rancho long arm kit seems to be th eonly one that does that. Thanks!!
You don't really need adjustable uppers in the front, just lowers to get the caster right. You will need adjustable uppers in the rear if you use a CV drive line, which you will need on a 2 dr. Track bar relocation brackets on the axle are better than adjustable track bars, especially in the rear, it keeps the roll center high and keeps the right amount of oversteer. If you use a track bar relocation bracket on the front, you will need to do something with the draglink, either flip it to the top of the knuckle or use a drop pitman arm. I wouldn't worry about eliminating the rear track bar, the JK's work very well with them, it adds a lot of lateral stability.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the superlift and am very happy with it as a "stock" lift. If you want more adjustability go with something else but as a daily driver/ weekend warrior type it works fine. It will not flex as as well as a more modular system but it depends on what you "need" the JK to do.
BTW the 4" will fit 35's with space to spare.

NOTE: no matter what one you do choose I would highly recommend re-welding the factory rear trackbar weld and maybe even adding a brace. The factory welds there bring the suck and are waiting to fail even with no lift IMO.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
NOTE: no matter what one you do choose I would highly recommend re-welding the factory rear trackbar weld and maybe even adding a brace. The factory welds there bring the suck and are waiting to fail even with no lift IMO.
x tenbillion!

I can not believe the lack of penetration of the welds on my axles. And I would add, re-weld all the brackets! Easier in a shop when everything is attached than on the trail, in the rain, laying on your back, in the dirt.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Rock God

thanx for the info!! sounds like Ill be better off waiting till I come home then bribe one of these Guru's to go suspension shopping! It (mine) will be a daily driver/weekend warrior but I still want those weekends to ROCK.

Thanx Again!!

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Rancho Long Arm Kit. Not cheap, but I have beat the living crap out of this kit for the past year.

Moab for a week
Rubicon Trail
Big Bear 2x
Ultimate Adventure

If your going to research all kits on the market, you can not leave the Rancho Long Arm Kit off the list to look at.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

I'm running the Superlift too and I like it so far. The only thing I would do different is get the bilsteins, like someone said above.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

My Superlift Black Diamond lift has been working great for me. Right now I just have the basic lift + a rear adjustable track bar. It amazes me every time I drive it how well it rides and handles. It performs great off road too, and I have wheeled it quite a bit. I am using the basic shocks with mine and I really like the way they ride. You can always start with the basic Superlift kit, and add their Rockrunner adjustable control arms later. I plan on getting them next year as my budget allows.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode