LS SWAP BUILT THREAD - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

LS SWAP BUILT THREAD

Ok so I'm starting a LS swap on my 2011 4 Door. Ill try to post up and keep a running tally of the build from start to finish.

The best engines to find are 2007 and newer GM Gen 4 LS based engines. Running a earlier GEN 3 or LS1 is harder to integrate with the stock Jeep can bus electronics.
Im wanting ALL my factory options to work including cruise control, ABS, ESP, Traction control etc.... Also my Gauges will remain stock along with my AC controls.
Im keeping my stock shifter and modifying it to work with the new GM 6l80E 6 speed automatic. I may even add paddle shift

Im currently running 5.13 gears on 37's and turning 2200 rpm @ 70mph. the 6l80e has about the same final drive ratio as the stock jeep trans but I will need to drop back to 3.73 or 4.10 to spin the V8 at 1400 rpm @70 mph. The 1st gear is a lot steeper in the 6l80e and will provide a lot of low end punch. 42rfe 1st gear is 2.84 and the 6l80e is 4.02.

Ok so I know I said to run a 07 and newer Gen 4 engine. I scored an all aluminum L33 out of a 06. it runs GEN 3 electronics, Basically is runs a 24 tooth crank trigger and a different cam trigger and different knock sensors. So Im removing the crankshaft and pressing on a 58Tooth crank trigger and converting the front cover and cam sprocket to a GEN4 along with a few other things. I may even toss in a good Bump stick while I'm in there. This changeover will add time and cost to your swap but since I'm doing it at my shop I figured I would challenge myself.

The All aluminum engine weights about the same as the 3.8 I'm pulling out. Stock 3.8 is rated at 202HP and a 5.3 LS engine is rated at 315HP without any mods, most run about 330 after tuning....even more with a cam.

Im running my stock radiator and fan setup, Alternator, Ac compressor and Power steering pump. It also uses the stock fuel pump and lines.

The Factory Jeep computer and harness stays in the Jeep and keeps all the Gauges and stuff supplied with the correct info. The LS engine gets its own harness and computer and is completely stand alone. Meaning it will control everything it needs to run and will have a OBD2 connector that any GM dealer can plug into to troubleshoot should you have issues down the road.

My stock transfer case will work with the setup and the driveshafts will as well. You will need a NON Rubi Tcase when making this swap.

I plan on pulling the body off the Jeep while doing most of the work on the rolling frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Wheeler

Subscribed.

10 JKU ud60s, 40" trail grapplers, kmc machete, blower and some aluminum
LJ Ls6 stroker 408. 60/14bolt. 42s. Bypass/coil over.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I will try to add pictures and as much info as I can along the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Granite Guru

Are you using motech's kit or making your own? Looking forward to the build!
post #5 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Wheeler

I have an 09 GMC with a L76 and 6L80. I think your cruising RPM is too low. GM factory RPM is right at 2000 with the 6L80, and I feel it's a bit of a dog.
post #6 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

subscribed

Do you plan to do any of these swaps for customers after you finish yours?

Interested in a 6.2 swap at some point.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #7 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Wheeler

Garage

This is going to be good!!!!
post #8 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Granite Guru

Based on what Robbie knew at the time I went with 4.10 from the 5.13's it had in it. With 35's they are OK but I still hit the rev limiter fairly easy unless I use the manual shift. These motors rev so quickly it is almost impossible to control in full auto! I would consider 4.56 or even 4.88's depending on your usage. Four low except for crawling is about useless so this is another consideration. You can tune the transmission to be more aggressive so with 4.10's it will not feel so sluggish. The stock tune is set up to be the most efficient so it will hold the motor at the lowest RPM possible to get the BEST mileage. Turning off AFM, automated fuel management or cylinder de-activation, and making the shifting more aggressive makes these motors feel more like a sports car but expect less efficiency!! Bigger tires, lower gears, full armor less efficiency! It all adds up! But man it is fun when you get into it! Want to get creative create several tunes, just like the diesels depending on what you are doing for the day! Haven't looked into it to see if the E38 ecu supports it or not but maybe even on the fly tunes with a selectable switch! So many options no time!!

2008 Sahara 2011 LS5.3 6spd. auto 30/44, 35" NITTO's, 4.10 gears with TrueTracs front and rear, 3.5" Metalcloak game-changer ARB, front track bar drop and drag link flip steering box cross brace to passenger frame rail, PSC pump and reservoir. EFI Live tune on motor.
post #9 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Granite Guru

Jim,

I would think with the 4.1 first gear it would be pretty snappy off the line? Smeday I hope to have one. That motor would make my 2door with 33"s feel perfect!!
post #10 of 33 Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Wheeler

I will somewhat agree with the gearing suggestions. I run a supercharged 6.1 hemi in mine, and I know its apples to oranges, but even with the power I have, I cruise at 1900 rpms, and wish it was a little higher. It holds speed decent, but likes to downshift to accelerate much. I am only running a five speed automatic though.
post #11 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zjlimited View Post
I will somewhat agree with the gearing suggestions. I run a supercharged 6.1 hemi in mine, and I know its apples to oranges, but even with the power I have, I cruise at 1900 rpms, and wish it was a little higher. It holds speed decent, but likes to downshift to accelerate much. I am only running a five speed automatic though.
This is the huge advantage of the 6L80E 6 speed auto most are running on LS3 swaps.

for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on
post #12 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Again the gearing will be a compromise depending on your use. I am for the most part happy with 4.10's daily driver and off road. If all you are going to use it for is off road and 37 or 40" tires you need to go lower. Depends where you want your strenghts to be. Lowest gearing for crawling or road friendly. Compromise Compromise! But really with a LS3 I don't think there is a lot of compromissing going on any way you look at it!!

2008 Sahara 2011 LS5.3 6spd. auto 30/44, 35" NITTO's, 4.10 gears with TrueTracs front and rear, 3.5" Metalcloak game-changer ARB, front track bar drop and drag link flip steering box cross brace to passenger frame rail, PSC pump and reservoir. EFI Live tune on motor.
post #13 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

Motech just put a ls3 6.2 in my jk, I have 37, s and I kept my 538 gears. I actually love the setup it runs about 2100 rpm @75 mph, and the low gears make it a blast to drive.

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Rock God

Really looking forward to Jon's build. Jon knows his stuff. Subscribed here and at bham-jk...

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #15 of 33 Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
I have an 09 GMC with a L76 and 6L80. I think your cruising RPM is too low. GM factory RPM is right at 2000 with the 6L80, and I feel it's a bit of a dog.
I may have to see. it will probably still be 5.13 when the engine swap is done. It should scream with 5.13's

post #16 of 33 Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
I may have to see. it will probably still be 5.13 when the engine swap is done. It should scream with 5.13's
With the double overdrive, you may be surprised. But that will haul ASS off the line!
post #17 of 33 Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Ok i guess I have been crazy busy at the shop and haven't been updating as I should be.
The jeep is up and running. Still waiting on a few interior things. We are also in the process of upgrading the front diff to a Tareflex TF44 with a yukon locker and axles along with a 8 arm kit and Big brakes. We are also upgrading the rear axles while we are at it.

The swap is really strait forward but the down time shipping stuff back and forth is very time consuming, but hopefully we have that process slimmed down by doing the harnesses and computers in house on all of our future builds.

Once I get time I will upload the pictures and write a proper build thread here.

we do have some updates and a bad ass sounding video of the first start up on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/rpmextreme

post #18 of 33 Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

You are doing the build that I did with the L33. Please let me know how the tuning turned out. I ended up switching to a 2012 take out 5.3l because of not being able to get the tune right between the cam and 6l80e.

If you can get the tune right I have one of these combos sitting in the Garage waiting for a new home if anyone is interested.

Thanks Tony
post #19 of 33 Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w30 View Post
You are doing the build that I did with the L33. Please let me know how the tuning turned out. I ended up switching to a 2012 take out 5.3l because of not being able to get the tune right between the cam and 6l80e.

If you can get the tune right I have one of these combos sitting in the Garage waiting for a new home if anyone is interested.

Thanks Tony
I have done LS tuning for years. I will be spending a lot of tuning time on this beast and should have her really dialed in. It sounds like a 500hp engine and idle sounds really nasty

Im hoping to be able to dial in the throttle settings to make it smooth offroad.

Tony. what injectors did you end up running in your L33. Right now I'm running the stock JK injectors with a base tune but need to dial it in with the correct ones in place. If i run the same as you did it will make the tunes about the same when I'm done.

post #20 of 33 Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM

It was good to meet you guys at the shop on Monday. Good luck to getting the 5.3 fully up and running. Can't wait to get my Jk back from Robbie at Motech. I may have you guys on a few things when I get my jeep back from Vegas!
post #21 of 33 Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Sorry for the delay guy's. We are up and running We have a few hundred miles on it so far with zero issues. We are still waiting on the BCM and Motec module to complete the build. I also still have to upgrade the front diff to a Teraflex TF44, control arms, speed bumps and some HD axles and driveshafts for good measure.

So far everything seems to be doing well with the stock components and 5.13 gears. We are currently running the stock JK 3.8 injectors (8 of them) in the LS with a quick tune.

I have tried 2 exhaust setups so far. flow master 40 series 3" (awesome at idle...Way to loud when driving)
Flowmaster 50 series delta flow 3" with a resonator (Very good idle sound but still a bit raspy and too much noise in the cab for a road trip)
I still need to add some cats and finish the tuning, hopefully adding cats will quiet down the exhaust some.

Doing the physical part of the swap was not bad at all. The part that takes time is sending parts back and forth to be modified, We are working on streamlining that process and would hope to be able to do a swap turn key in 2 weeks.

Im working on having ECU's programed and ready, Harnesses modified and ready along with a few other things to help things move faster. We do our own programing the the GM ecu's and can tackle any issues head on and not have to send them out.

post #22 of 33 Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Im working on having ECU's programed and ready, Harnesses modified and ready along with a few other things to help things move faster. We do our own programing the the GM ecu's and can tackle any issues head on and not have to send them out.
Motech's ECU needs to be sent back if there are any problems? Please elaborate on this...

post #23 of 33 Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Motech's ECU needs to be sent back if there are any problems? Please elaborate on this...
The GM E38 ECU can be programed in house along with the Transmission ECU.

Im working on the NGC4 Jeep ECU's and will probably have them converted to V8 specs ahead of time and keep them on the shelf ready to go.

Robbie @ Motec still has to program his Motec Module and a few other little things, but this should help streamline the process. Sending the Jeep computer all over creation seems to be the big issue as it takes forever.

post #24 of 33 Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
I will try to add pictures and as much info as I can along the way.
I still don't see pics.

Andy

post #25 of 33 Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
I still don't see pics.
Yeah I know. I have been updating our Facebook page with pictures but it has been hard to find time to sit down and load pictures here. At some point I will add pictures in order so they make sense and load them up. Just not enough time in the day anymore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode