drive shaft question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

drive shaft question

Hey all, ordered the RK 2.5 stock mod kit the other day, installing it over the weekend.

I know a lot of people say that they end up getting a good deal more lift than 2.5 in the front. Do you all think I'll have any problems with the stock drive shaft? I don't plan on doing any offroading for at least another season or two, waiting on the stock rubber to wear out before I put better tires on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

My driveshaft will touch my crossover pipe when flexed out but as far as the joints go. I've had my lift on for about 9 months and no cracks in the boots or vibration issues. I wheel mine pretty hard with the stock rubi tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are not wheeling you should be fine with the stock drive shaft. You could also add a limiting strap at the differential to keep the driveshaft from making contact with the exhaust.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Wheeler

It really varies from Jeep to Jeep. I have a JKU with a RK 2.5" Max Travel Pro lift and my front stock driveshaft has vibration between 55-68 MPH. My mechanic tried to adjust the camber from 6 to 5 degrees to fix it but it's still there. I am now saving up for aftermarket driveshaft's. Some Jeep's never have a problem and some Jeep's do. It's just a roll of the dice. I hope you have no problem's with yours.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

..Still stock driveshafts here, 72k miles and pretty good amount of flex. I did repack the grease in them however.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajpr View Post
It really varies from Jeep to Jeep. I have a JKU with a RK 2.5" Max Travel Pro lift and my front stock driveshaft has vibration between 55-68 MPH. My mechanic tried to adjust the camber from 6 to 5 degrees to fix it but it's still there. I am now saving up for aftermarket driveshaft's. Some Jeep's never have a problem and some Jeep's do. It's just a roll of the dice. I hope you have no problem's with yours.
He should be setting your Jeep's Caster to whatever the pinion angle will allow for. With the CV joint in the stock driveshaft, vibes aren't very common...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Not sure what year. But running the RK 2.5 on my JKU. I did have an issue with the clamp on the boot hitting the trans pan with the stock driveshaft.

Swapped it out with a coast and clears the trans but will still rest on the skid at pull droop.. But I had no vibration or join issues with the stock one after a few years

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You'll be fine with the stock shafts. I've run stock shafts on an 08, 12 2 door, and 12 4 door with the stock shafts in tact. All on RK 2.5 and 3.5" systems.

Marcus

post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Front shaft started spitting grease soon after installing my RK 2.5's. Replaced with a Adams shaft.
Rear is still holding strong at 10k. I picked one up from this forum for a spare.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
51%
Wheeler

I'm running the stock shaft with 4-1/2" lift (over 5 inches actual measurement). So far so good and I have tested it to full droop and the CV still has a couple of inches more drop left beyond what the shocks will extend to. You might have an exhaust clearance issue, but at 2-1/2 not likely. If you do, you can gain a little clearance with spacers, or get the aFe cross over pipe that eliminates the problem entirely. I'm running 2-1/2 degrees of caster and 3-1/2 degrees up angle on the pinion with no vibes. So with your lift I don't think you have any driveshaft worries.

14 JKU 4-1/2 AEV Dualsport RS, 37" KM2 on Pintlers, PR44, 4.88, ARBs .... under construction
post #11 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I tried the 3* caster and my 2 door was too sloppy.
I don't know if a 4 door will be different.
All I know is it did not work for me.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
He should be setting your Jeep's Caster to whatever the pinion angle will allow for. With the CV joint in the stock driveshaft, vibes aren't very common...
Mechanic had the driveshaft set to what the pinion angle would allow for and it had the vibration, he changed it from 6 deg to 5 deg to see if it would help but it didn't. He said 6 deg is the norm for the RK 2.5 lift. It drove like stock at 6 degree castor but would slightly vibrate around 50-65 MPH. When he changed it to 5 degree castor, it's a little squirrely and I still get the vibration around 55-68 MPH. I am just going to get a new driveshaft's when funds allow. Like I said before some Jeep's have no problem's with vibrations and others will.

Last edited by floridajpr; 12-11-2013 at 05:19 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
You'll be fine with the stock shafts. I've run stock shafts on an 08, 12 2 door, and 12 4 door with the stock shafts in tact. All on RK 2.5 and 3.5" systems.

Marcus
2007-2011 are completely different than 2012-up.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
2007-2011 are completely different than 2012-up.
The length is a bit different and the exhaust routes a little differently around them, but they are the same idea.

What were you told makes them so different?

Marcus

post #15 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I did pick up a set of exhaust spacers to install while the lift is going in. Hoping things work ok. I have a jcr dagger up front which should help keep it a little lower. Depending on how it rides I can throw the lca's in down the road but hoping is not necessary along with the drive shaft

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #16 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Mechanic had the driveshaft set to what the pinion angle would allow for and it had the vibration, he changed it from 6 deg to 5 deg to see if it would help but it didn't. He said 6 deg is the norm for the RK 2.5 lift. It drove like stock at 6 degree castor but would slightly vibrate around 50-65 MPH. When he changed it to 5 degree castor, it's a little squirrely and I still get the vibration around 55-68 MPH. I am just going to get a new driveshaft's when funds allow. Like I said before some Jeep's have no problem's with vibrations and others will.
Squirrelly at 5* ?
RK actually recommends 4.5*, most 2 door guys have to run less. If you are still getting vibes I'm guessing something else is wrong. From what I see on the forums, the stock shafts won't vibrate unless missing a weight or damaged.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

I have the stock shafts on my '13 Rubicon with a RK 2.5 X factor on 37's and I have no issues at all. At full flex the shaft is still 1-2" away from the crossover pipe (I have the Teraflex exhaust spacers) and the joint doesn't look bound up at all. I get a decent amount of travel out of my lift too. I have right at 2k miles on the lift with some light-moderate wheeling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode