Looking for 37inch tire suggestions / Flattop - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Looking for 37inch tire suggestions / Flattop

I'm considering moving up to 37inch tires. I'm looking for opinion on a good specific tire. I'm on road probably 80% of the time so I do want somethgin that performs well on road. It would be nice to get a tire with a good tread life and one that is rather quiet becasue I'll have the top off most of the time. I've found a pretty good price on the Nitto Terra Grapplers but have not seen much in that way of reviews. I also thought The Toyo Open Country AT looked good but it does not look like those come a 37 inch size. I also like th elook of the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw but the look is not what is important. I have seen a lot of people have suggested or use the BFgoodrich KM2 and if I could find a good price on those I'd move on them.

I also love the look of the nwest jeep concept - Jeep Wrangler Flattop and I'm interested to know if anyone here know the details on the lift size they used on this concept.

Finally - if anyone in central florida is looking to get rid of some good 37x12.5x17s let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Rock God

id try this in the wheel and tire section...not really a modified subject.

on a side note, i have some 37x13.50x18 Falken Wildpeak ATs that are brand new for sale if interested.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

From my experience stay away from the Wrangler MTR Kevlar, they are very hard to balance and can also be "out of round" which can cause all kinds of issues.

On the other hand I am a fan of the Toyo MT, as well as the Nitto for a Jeep that is mainly on road.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Rock God

For every MTR "horror story" there are 10 success stories. I've owned two sets of MTR Kevlars--35x12.50x15 and my current 37x12.50x17. Zero balance/roundness issues with them and everyone I know that runs them has had the same experience. My 37's are likely all out of balance now and my TJ runs silky smooth down the highway at 80mph.

With that said, they wear well and aren't terribly loud but they certainly don't lead the pack in those two categories. They are, however, lightweight and have phenomenal traction and as long as they are rotated every 3k miles, they'll wear as well as any other tire with comparably-aggressive tread. The Falkens are very quiet and wear well but are heavy pigs.

I'll probably receive flack for this but I don't understand why more people don't run 37" BFG AT's. That's a great all around tire and as long as you're not playing in the hammers or in soupy mud, they'll perform great. They wear like iron, are quiet and roll smooth. Out of the many sets of them and the Duratracs that I've seen I've been more impressed with the BFG's. They're not terribly pricey and are very lightweight, to boot. Just my thoughts.
post #5 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are on the road 80% of the time, what are you doing with your rig that 20% of the time? Riding on the beach?

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thank you all for the feedback. This will help me look into a few more tires. As for the question of the 20% off road - you are correct. It is not rock crawling at all. Since I'm in Florida it is more mud and sand and beach.

I'll also do a little research on the BFG ATs.
post #7 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppSt59Dave View Post
id try this in the wheel and tire section...not really a modified subject.

on a side note, i have some 37x13.50x18 Falken Wildpeak ATs that are brand new for sale if interested.
I;d be interested in your tires but I think NC is further than I'd like to drive for tires. I'll also repost this in the tire section. Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks.
post #8 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjk View Post
From my experience stay away from the Wrangler MTR Kevlar, they are very hard to balance and can also be "out of round" which can cause all kinds of issues.

On the other hand I am a fan of the Toyo MT, as well as the Nitto for a Jeep that is mainly on road.
I was also looking at the Toyo MTs but it seems no one has any Toyos in stock right now. I've also heard the treadlife on those is pretty short.
post #9 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Rock God

Toyo is hands down best tire all around. I've gotten 55k out of my first set on a Hemi 1500 and have a set on my JK with 6k miles and still look new. Nitto is killer option but heavy. The new pro comp mt2 and the cooper STT are great options as well. Goodyear should make a 37" duratrac but even then it would still be shitty to balance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

post #10 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 PM
51%
Wheeler

I am running the KM2 at the moment. Work great in the sand and mud here in Florida. They are fairly quiet for an agressive tire at speed. Not a fan of the highway performance yet- still chasing some vibration that's more than I find acceptable above 60 mph. If I get that solved they'll be great.

I have KO's on my truck that have made it 45k miles with a heavy foot. Great highway tire and OK in sand, but almost worthless in the mud.

In the past I've had good luck with Pro Comps. Balanced well and rode smooth as glass.

14 JKU 4-1/2 AEV Dualsport RS, 37" KM2 on Pintlers, PR44, 4.88, ARBs .... under construction
post #11 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 PM
V8 dreams

Whoever told you toyos don't wear good probably doesn't sell them. They last forever

2010 Silver JKU
post #12 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
For every MTR "horror story" there are 10 success stories. I've owned two sets of MTR Kevlars--35x12.50x15 and my current 37x12.50x17. Zero balance/roundness issues with them and everyone I know that runs them has had the same experience. My 37's are likely all out of balance now and my TJ runs silky smooth down the highway at 80mph.

With that said, they wear well and aren't terribly loud but they certainly don't lead the pack in those two categories. They are, however, lightweight and have phenomenal traction and as long as they are rotated every 3k miles, they'll wear as well as any other tire with comparably-aggressive tread. The Falkens are very quiet and wear well but are heavy pigs.

I'll probably receive flack for this but I don't understand why more people don't run 37" BFG AT's. That's a great all around tire and as long as you're not playing in the hammers or in soupy mud, they'll perform great. They wear like iron, are quiet and roll smooth. Out of the many sets of them and the Duratracs that I've seen I've been more impressed with the BFG's. They're not terribly pricey and are very lightweight, to boot. Just my thoughts.
I call bs. These tires don't balance well at all. I am half way throughout there life, Warrantied one for balance issue, found cracks in side wall that are mysterious ( just random spider crack in a couple of them), wet traction on road or rocks is bad comparing to other tires while offroad, wear is ok, tread is very hard, quiet at first but then get very noisy ( I rotate).

I am trying interco iroks now. Direct comparison with MTR's I find that the MTR's are not as good for many many reasons. Balancing, snow ice traction, wet traction, ride, shaking.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 12-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #13 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

I had 2 sets of bfg km2s and I just got nitto trail grappler like 2 months ago. What a difference I love my nitto, much better all around tire. As mentioned they are E load rated so they are heavy.

2011 Rubicon-2 door- 35" Trail Grappler-2.5" tera flex-Stubby Schrockworks-20" led bar
post #14 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Rock God

Toyo mt or nitto trail grappler....

Texas Complete Truck Center
5670 S Interstate 35
New Braunfels, Texas
(210) 412-6379

post #15 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Rock God

I have ran 35, 37", and now 40's on my jeeps. Hands down toyo is the way to go. I got 40k outbof my 35's on my Tj then sold them they had 1/2 tread life left on the then got some 37's for my tj that were used and had 35k on them. They cane off my bros taco. Then I put another 15k on them then went back to 35's now my buddy has them and has 5k on them and he has about 1/2 tread left. Then ran 37's on my jku for 4k then went to 40's. If you aee familure with road force balance the worst one was 26 lbs of road force it only took 5oz of weight. So if you look at most ofvthe builds around yiu will see toyos or nittos. Just so you also know toyo owns nitto and maxis

My build

post #16 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thank you all again for the feedback. This is such a great forum will so many people with Great experience.

I havn't heard anythign about the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TCC. Any thoughts on those?

It is good to know that the Nittos are heavey tires. I might want to stay away from that for the weight.
post #17 of 49 Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
I call bs. These tires don't balance well at all.
Well, mine clearly do.

I also run them on wheels that have been verified to have very little runout.
post #18 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax00 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. This will help me look into a few more tires. As for the question of the 20% off road - you are correct. It is not rock crawling at all. Since I'm in Florida it is more mud and sand and beach.

I'll also do a little research on the BFG ATs.
Have you considered Falken Wildpeaks?
I ran them a bit over a year while I lived in Florida in the 37x12.5r17 flavor.
I wheeled them all over the place (Inverness, Hardrock, Alpha Pit, Bravo Pit, Hudson, etc.) and never had any problems on or off road.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #19 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 AM
V8 dreams

If you're worried about weight, the toyos are even heavier than the nitto. They're 13.50 in width.

I went with 37" MTR to save weight and stress on my d30. Hell they weigh less than my last set of 35" toyo. That said, I'll be running the nitto TG next time around. I've had hit or miss luck getting my MTR balanced.

2010 Silver JKU
post #20 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Well, mine clearly do.

I also run them on wheels that have been verified to have very little runout.
Well ok.

My wheels have been looked at as well due to so many problems.

I put on my iroks and one of the tires is dynamic balanced only and you just can't tell. Iroks take much less weight to balance as well.

Besides balancing, the traction I have gained is absolutely amazingly 500% better. The iroks are truly that much better.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #21 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Rock God

I'm happy for you.....

I wheel with several guys with Iroks. We generally struggle on the same obstacles.

Again, zero balance issues through 10 total MTR Kevlars. I haven't had these balanced in just over a year and I drive the rig on the road a few days a week.
post #22 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Granite Guru

I have 35" Nittos on my Jeep and love them. I have never had any traction issues in mud, sand, or rocks to date. They also have about 7,000 miles on them and show almost no wear. However, they are E rated meaning you will have less tire flex and need to run them at lower air pressure. The benefit is a stronger tire.

2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
post #23 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Granite Guru

If u want semi quiet tires stay away from baja claws...they get loud after a while...I am a fan of trail grapplers and terra grapplers...trails gain some noise but perform good in NC..and terra are great on the road.

post #24 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 AM
Granite Guru

I've had 3 sets of MTR kevlars in the recent past. 35,37, and 40's.

All were easy to balance and road manners and handling were good. In the southwest they are a very good compromise between road and offroad performance. I live pretty high in elevation so I do a fair amount of snow/ice driving and they perform in that capacity well.

If Duratrac's were avail. In 37's I'd recommend that. But I have no hesitation recommending the MTR's.

I have also had 37" Toyo MT's on a JK and 35's on a Ram 2500. The aggressive lugs on the sidewalls were somewhat irritating rubbing on the control arms on both. Both were good tires though.

The BFG MT's were trouble. Aweful in the wet, dangerous in the snow and ice. Wore unevenly and too quickly. They cupped like mad on the fronts with regular rotating.
post #25 of 49 Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlo_jklivin View Post
If u want semi quiet tires stay away from baja claws...they get loud after a while...I am a fan of trail grapplers and terra grapplers...trails gain some noise but perform good in NC..and terra are great on the road.

Do you know if there is a difference in noise level between the Baja Claws and the Baja Claw TTCs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode