Need input from those who've done 60's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
51%
Wheeler

Need input from those who've done 60's

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between a PR44 and PR60 for the front. Really want to lose the unit bearing and go free wheeling hubs. But what I don't want is more width. Wider Jeep on narrow trails is not a good thing. And compared to the old iron these things are too wide already.

So with the current setup I'm at 64.5 track width and 77.25 overall width, which I think is about as narrow as I can be on a JK with this tire size. This is with the Pintlers which are 8.5 wide with 5.2 backspace.

Going to a 60 in the front increases the track width 3". I'm thinking of wheels with another 1.5" of backspace to keep me where I am now. Anyone done this? Will I have clearance issues with the caliper or knuckles? Of course with a wheel like that the hubs will be projecting, which I can minimize with the Dynatrac stub hub option, but it's still a concern, mainly in the rocks.

What say ye

14 JKU 4-1/2 AEV Dualsport RS, 37" KM2 on Pintlers, PR44, 4.88, ARBs .... under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Rock God

The decision on width is more about tire size.

37s are fine on stock width.

40s need more width to be able to turn without rubbing the frame and control arms.

There are hub kits to run on 44s. You just need 5x5.5 wheels to have a large enough center bore to fit over the hubs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

You will need a minimum of 17" wheels to clear the calipers.
The tire size is the important question that needs to be answered.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
51%
Wheeler

Thanks for the reminder about tire size, I knew I'd forget to include something important. I'm planning on staying with the 37's and preferably 17" wheels to keep a lot of sidewall. And I'm happy with the lift height.
And I know about the Spyntec hub option for 44's, but there are some concerns there. Biggest thing is I have read a few reviews from those who used them where the quality of the seals was an issue and water contamination in the bearings was ongoing. Lots of water here in Florida. And I believe that kit widens the front track as well, about 1-1/2" IIRC, but that's just from memory. And PR44 + Spyntec = PR60 in terms of cost.

Are there other hub kits out there besides Spyntec?

Main reason for the desire for unlocking hubs is the front shaft angle from the TC is pretty extreme on a lifted 3.6, due to the inclination of the engine and trans. I do a lot of highway miles and I suspect even a double cardan is going to be a high maintenance item with these angles.

14 JKU 4-1/2 AEV Dualsport RS, 37" KM2 on Pintlers, PR44, 4.88, ARBs .... under construction
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Thats the only hub conversion that I have seen for the JK. You might find the hybrid 44/60 may be a bit cheaper then a 60 but why not just spend the extra $400 or so and gain the strength of the 60 r&p. Personally I would go with a 3" wider axle running 37's on those wheels. I am really wide now 3" wider axles 1.5" spacers and 40x13.5 tires on 4.5" bs and have only found 2 spots I have not been able to get through on the trails back in Indiana and Tennessee and they were just between some trees and I was able to just make my own trail around them. When in Tennessee I take a chain saw with me anyway because of downed trees and such so no problem there. Out here I have had no problems with the extra width.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51% View Post
So with the current setup I'm at 64.5 track width
Pretty sure the JK is 65.25 wms to wms

post #7 of 7 Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
51%
Wheeler

^^^ That's right, WMS is 65.5 according to Dynatrac. The Pintler wheels have a lot of backspace, so the track width at present is about an inch narrower than the WMS.

After a lot of deliberation I've settled on a PR44. Less weight can't hurt with this fat pig (We live in the swamp down here) and I'll stick with the unit bearing and just let it all spin. I can always switch out to the Spyntec if it bothers me down the road.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode