need help with exhaust mod for synergy upper shock bracket install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

need help with exhaust mod for synergy upper shock bracket install

hi all,

I've finished installing the synergy rear upper shock bracket (on '09 2dr rubicon), which requires relocating the rear sway bar back about 1" and lower about 1", which causes it to hit the stock muffler.

anyone have any easy tips for how to modify without buying an new muffler? (ie. cheap!)

synergy recommends this $400 option: AFE Exhaust P/N 49-46226 (but I was hoping for cheaper!)

from the couple posts I've found, replacing muffler (flowmaster 40 series (and knockoffs) seems to be most popular) seems to be the most popular option:
pro: cheapish
con: i need to get it done (i don't have a welder)

I was even considering just eliminating the rear sway bar since I don't usually drive fast, but that seems dangerous in the long term.

anyone else have any other ideas?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by nytennisaddict; 12-01-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Tossing the rear bar isn't going to make a dramatic difference for you, imo.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

I broke my Currie AntiRock front torsion bar and have been driving without it now for awhile.

On road characteristics are no problem but traction has been affected somewhat adversely. Stiffer springs and shocks tend to compensate for a lot of body roll on the highway and while zipping around town.

Where the sway bars really come into play for me is while wheeling. A good torsion or sway bar set up is designed to help keep the wheels in contact with the ground or at least trying to stay in contact. A wheel in the air just doesn't get great traction as opposed to one that does. Depending on how you wheel you may find yourself not getting quite as much traction as you did before even though you may get a little more flex.

This is just my take on things though and there are much better qualified folks on here to guide you, I just wanted to throw this thought your way for consideration.

I do have a rear Currie AntiRock sway bar also. Running both the front and rear together is a great setup and far better than stock. You might look into a rear Currie or other brand that should work fine with your existing muffler. Recently we installed the Synergy relocation bracket on a rig with the Currie rear sway bar and had no interference issues. I just received my upper brackets to do the same thing and don't anticipate any installation issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Rock God

X3 on not running a rear sway bar. I have a jku also, much more body to roll around. Rear articulation is insane! The on road ride seems smoother too since the rear can move more independently. For example, driveway aprons. The rear doesn't get thrown around due to the sway bar.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla

Last edited by LILWB; 12-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Rock God

Have an exhaust dump before the rear axle? Dynomax Ultra Flo, Super Turbo, or Race Bullet and relocate the Evap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the replies!

I drove it without the rear sway, and couldn't tell the difference, or barely, even trying to hit turns aggressively (to the point of almost fish tailing, which I never do anyway).

I'll probably go without a rear sway bar until I've saved enough pennies to switch out the gigantic stock muffler...
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Rock God

I used a hammer to clearance the stock muffler some until it gets replaced. It doesnt need much room for it all to fit

post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM
JKowners Vendor

Location: behind a computer answering questions. Wish it was a trail.

As Trauma mentioned, you can just have the exhaust do a pre dump and just use a muffler and a down turn. We suggest P/N 17263 (2.5" in/out overall 20" 6" round)

post #9 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomax Exhaust View Post
As Trauma mentioned, you can just have the exhaust do a pre dump and just use a muffler and a down turn. We suggest P/N 17263 (2.5" in/out overall 20" 6" round)
Dynomax, your rockcrawler style exhaust also provides ample clearance with the poly shock mounts and swaybar relocation. This is the setup I'm running on my 2 door as I wanted to retain a tailpipe.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #10 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
JKowners Vendor

Location: behind a computer answering questions. Wish it was a trail.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
Dynomax, your rockcrawler style exhaust also provides ample clearance with the poly shock mounts and swaybar relocation. This is the setup I'm running on my 2 door as I wanted to retain a tailpipe.

Nice to know!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode